replace cleat holes with pop up cleats?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
I've never seen this on any boat but the parker. Anyone added pop up cleats? What's the purpose of having the holes through the gunnel down to the cleat? Seems like such an annoyance.

I've never seen this on any boat but the parker. Anyone added pop up cleats? What's the purpose of having the holes through the gunnel down to the cleat? Seems like such an annoyance.
Nominally, it keeps the covering boards free from obstructions, while still allowing you to have a traditional cleat (which are stronger) attached to a structural member on the boat. It's very common on larger sportfishermen.

Replacing them with pop-ups is going to be a bear. First, you're going to need to fill the hole, which will involve a pretty advanced level of glass work. Then, you'll need to gelcoat it to match, which can be tough to do with the nonskid texture. Then, you can install the cleat; make sure to use a backing plate bigger than the size of the repair as I wouldn't trust a patch job with that amount of point loading.

Overall, unless they REALLY annoy you, I'm not sure that's a repair that would be worth it. I'd try to work with them a bit before biting the bullet, maybe they'll grow on you.

I'm thinking sealing up the existing hole then installing some scotty mounting plates over it, install the pop up cleats slightly aft of the scotty plates.

I haven't seen the boat in person so I'm mainly brainstorming and looking for what I can do to make the boat "better"

My 2004 23dvcc had hawse pipes. I liked them. I wished my subsquent Parkers had them but they have pop-ups all around.

I'm thinking sealing up the existing hole then installing some scotty mounting plates over it, install the pop up cleats slightly aft of the scotty plates.

I haven't seen the boat in person so I'm mainly brainstorming and looking for what I can do to make the boat "better"
My vote 'Dittos' what pelagic mentioned; give them a try, and you might find you like them. We had them on our last boat and really liked them. (it had four large hawser holes; two on the bow, and two mid-ship. The stern had just the cleats, as there was no place to install the hawser holes). We liked the way they looked and liked the functionality. And, on that boat, they negated the need for line chocks.

I have hawse pipes on the stern of my 1800 and love them! I have pop-up cleats/rodholder combination on the stern of my 2520 and don't really care for them - they just don't have that traditional cleat feel to them that I am so accustomed to. Give them a try before passing judgement because as stated above, the repair will be a bear.

Cap'n Dan

I have hawse pipes on the stern of my 1800 and love them! I have pop-up cleats/rodholder combination on the stern of my 2520 and don't really care for them - they just don't have that traditional cleat feel to them that I am so accustomed to. Give them a try before passing judgement because as stated above, the repair will be a bear.

Cap'n Dan
Capt. Dan makes another good point... The pop-up cleats on the stern of our Parker (although not the cleat/rod-holder combo) are the first pop-up cleats I ever had on any boat. I don't like them as they seem weak and flimsy. I understand the intended function is, when they are 'down/recessed', to have less obstruction on the gunnels, where they are less likely to get in the way of fishing gear. And if that is the primary goal, then the hawser-holes are the BEST solution!... I'll bet (hope) Cheapie408 will learn to love the hawser holes! ☺

Capt. Dan makes another good point... The pop-up cleats on the stern of our Parker (although not the cleat/rod-holder combo) are the first pop-up cleats I ever had on any boat. I don't like them as they seem weak and flimsy. I understand the intended function is, when they are 'down/recessed', to have less obstruction on the gunnels, where they are less likely to get in the way of fishing gear. And if that is the primary goal, then the hawser-holes are the BEST solution!... I'll bet (hope) Cheapie408 will learn to love the hawser holes! ☺
Lol everything is fresh and I'm just all over the place on the upgrade mindset. I will probably learn to love it even if I don't. There are better places to spend money in the boat than cleats

Lol everything is fresh and I'm just all over the place on the upgrade mindset. I will probably learn to love it even if I don't. There are better places to spend money in the boat than cleats
I know that mindset all too well and am completely guilty of it. I bought most of the upgrades for my 1700 while deployed to NYC for the COVID response, also without the boat in front of me. Came back to a pile of boxes that looked like Christmas morning in my living room and a much lighter bank account. Now I'm doing the same thing with my 2530 up in Delaware.

I'd at least get your hands on the boat first, before you decide to start taking on major/structural modifications. Most people seem to view the hawse holes favorably. Use it a little bit, then decide which upgrades will really be worth your money and time.

I have had pop/up cleats, stationary cleats and hawse pipes. Bigger boats had hawse pipes. Like either hawse pipes or pop-up cleats because both give you an unobstructed gunnel But if I had either, I don’t think it’s worth the time, effort and money to switch to the other.

Find another modification to do instead of removing, repairing Hawse pipe fittings. It truly does open up more space than cleats. Seems like a complete waste of time and money and energy to go from one system to another. Just try them: you will love them. Wish my new 2320 had hawse fittings instead of pop up cleats.... oh well.

Greetings CP, I am the second owner of a 2002 2510 DV. It has midship cleats on the washboard and I am going change one out for a pull up cleat. I'll post an update on the project soon. Thanks! View attachment 29302

Having been in the boat building and repair business for many years, I've had my hands on any number of pop-up and folding cleats. They sure do make things slick and smooth, but I've yet to see a set I liked that will stand the test of time. In rehabbing my own Parker, I went back with regular, fixed cleats.
To remove hawse pipes and glass in would be pricey, and unless you plan on refinishing your entire washboards, very difficult to match.

Having been in the boat building and repair business for many years, I've had my hands on any number of pop-up and folding cleats. They sure do make things slick and smooth, but I've yet to see a set I liked that will stand the test of time. In rehabbing my own Parker, I went back with regular, fixed cleats.
To remove hawse pipes and glass in would be pricey, and unless you plan on refinishing your entire washboards, very difficult to match.
Dittos, on what ESRob says. Our Parker is the only boat we have owned (20+) that has had pop-up cleats. To me, they are one of the least-likeable features. They are weak, and they are too small. If anything, I would be changing the pop-up cleats, back to 'real' cleats....

I've found out that you can place the fluke of an aft anchor in the hole making it the perfect holder!

Man are they really that weak? Mine are big as hell and seem really stout but I’ve never tested them with say towing someone

Man are they really that weak? Mine are big as hell and seem really stout but I’ve never tested them with say towing someone
I don't what your reference point is, but to me, Yes, they are really that weak; not designed for towing. Post a picture of your cleats (with a ruler or yard stick laying beside them, as a size-reference). Maybe Parker used larger/adequate ones on your boat; if so, that's a step in the right direction. ..... It also would depend on what size boat, (the boat you're towing) and in what sea-conditions. Even most 'normal' cleats, are not designed to be used for towing; but I suppose you could tow a kayak or other small boat, in calm water.... As a last resort I might consider using the 'lift-rings' on the transom, but even then, towing only a small boat, in calm conditions.

Last edited:
I don't what your reference point is, but to me, Yes, they are really that weak; not designed for towing. Post a picture of your cleats (with a ruler or yard stick laying beside them, as a size-reference). Maybe Parker used larger/adequate ones on your boat; if so, that's a step in the right direction. ..... It also would depend on what size boat, (the boat you're towing) and in what sea-conditions. Even most 'normal' cleats, are not designed to be used for towing; but I suppose you could tow a kayak or other small boat, in calm water.... As a last resort I might consider using the 'lift-rings' on the transom, but even then, towing only a small boat, in calm conditions.
The pop ups on mine are the biggest cleats on the boat. The other regular cleats are a lot smaller

Latest posts

Back