Replacement Steering Options- Hydraulic, Twin Engines

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from anyone who's replaced their hydraulic steering system. I'll be needing a new setup with the new engines after the repower and am curious as to how others have fared. I've been very impressed with the Uflex cable system I put into my 1700, but realize that this does not necessarily have any bearing on their hydraulic products. I recall several members having good results with their steering units in single engine applications; wondering if there's any reason that they would be different when used with twins.

The Uflex system is very impressive and, in my opinion, more robust compared to SeaStar. That said, I have a complete SeaStar system on my current boat (twin engine, single ram, power steering pump with autopilot assist) and am very happy with it. But if I had my choices, I definitely go with Uflex. I just like their products. Plus, their customer service is EXCELLENT. For example, I purchased a slightly used UFLEX ram and it wasn't quite the condition or model as described. So I carried it to UFLEX (local to me) and one of their engineers took the ram and fixed all the small problems, converted it to a "model" that I needed by swapping the steering arm and sent me home with some additional SS fittings. I tried to pay but he flatly refused. Good people there.

The Uflex system is very impressive and, in my opinion, more robust compared to SeaStar.

Yep I quit buying Seastar......and you can interchange the parts...IE: Helm goes out.....Replace it with Uflex......Repower and need a Ram.....Get the Hi Performance Uflex while the rest is ok still with Seastar.

Yep I quit buying Seastar......and you can interchange the parts...IE: Helm goes out.....Replace it with Uflex......Repower and need a Ram.....Get the Hi Performance Uflex while the rest is ok still with Seastar.
This brings up a good point... the helm and steering system I have works fine currently. I'll need a new ram with the new engines, but otherwise there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. Is there any reason (other than ease of rigging) to replace the rest of the steering components (helm and hoses) now, vice waiting until they fail?

Nope.... I wouldn't until it's broke.

Here's how I did it.....It's all Seastar.
Engine swap gets new Uflex Ram
Crows Nest added with controls......Gets new Uflex helm
Lower helm starts to leak.....Gets replaced with Uflex helm.

Wart is correct and I did the same.

You can replace parts as they fail. SeaStar helm is fully interactive with a UFlex ram and vise versa. As are the hoses and fittings.

That"s good to hear. I'm about to pull my 2004 2120 off the list for some things, one of shucks to add a bulkhead 2nd station. I have everything except the helm, hoses, and cables and an going to go with the Uflex items.

Back