Replacing a gas tank on a 1994 17’ center console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the nice documentation.....It's a shame you didn't Coal Tar epoxy the new tank before installing it......It would have added even more life to the new tank and added resale vale to the boat.

Hi Warthog. I agree that coal tar is a good barrier against galvanic corrosion . I am from Fort Lauderdale and have a few boats there. All those tanks have the coal tar and fare well, including an 89 mako. This Parker boat is in Southern California. It’s extremely dry where I am. We get no more than 14” of rain a year. That’s a good year. Because of such cool dry air the key is to have the cool dry air circulate around the bare aluminum. I understand the coffin is dry and dark and typically damp. That’s not the case in SoCal. The tank surface will be high (3100’ above see level) desert dry 99.9 percent of the time. The tank will develop an oxidized skin that is sacrificial and acts as a barrier for further decay. I intentionally used 3/16” 5052. The boat is on a trailer, tilted steeply, and is never kept in the water as I use it to run to islands off Baja Mexico. The coal tar can actually peel and flake off in dryer climates and to my knowledge is toxic which I am trying to get away from. Time will tell on this one, it’s an experiment for sure. I do appreciate your insight. Your experience is valuable.

Peel Off ? Improper prep! Start by washing the alum.....BEFORE you sand it......2 rag method of wax and grease remover......Sand tank....80gt on DA sander.......2 rag method again with wax & grease remover......2 coats rolled on of Coal Tar epoxy.

The fuel tank coffins will never see anything but stagnant air. Temp changes will induce moisture......I do understand.....There are exceptions to the rule.

Getting closer. 90 degrees here tomorrow and 16% humidity. 4 coats of interlux 2 part epoxy with added anti slip. She’s buttoned up. Time to reinstall everything. F0E38199-F063-49F0-ABAD-4CD2CDA10FC5.jpeg

Its all wrapped up. 900 for tank and about 700 for additional materials like hoses, clamps, neoprene, fiberglass, deck epoxy, sealant, bilge coat, brushes, rollers, fasteners, wire. Add in about 100 for gas to procure all materials. All said and done I finished under 2000. It took 3 1/2 months. I’m glad this is complete. I would have hired this out if someone would actually take on the work and not want 7,500 to 10,000 and 6 months.

3F0A8057-48EF-48BF-983B-73FC8CD8F393.jpeg

Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I have done two trips with the new tank and all the other items. First run was 14 miles and second run was 37 miles. A big plus was a isenglass console wind screen. Also the two AGM batteries ran the bait tank all day. Here are two photos. One early morning shot prior to the trip and one of a school of Mola Mola swimming by.

Attachments

• parker1.jpg
    parker1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • mola 1.jpg
    mola 1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I have done two trips with the new tank and all the other items. First run was 14 miles and second run was 37 miles. A big plus was a isenglass console wind screen. Also the two AGM batteries ran the bait tank all day. Here are two photos. One early morning shot prior to the trip and one of a school of Mola Mola swimming by.
Thanks for the documentation. I have a 1992 17 I suspect the tank is leaking. Going to pressure test this weekend. Thought about just cutting the front and making a smaller tank but looking at your pictures will do the whole tank.

Back