Replacing gunwale mounted rod holders on a 1801?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Bro

Reaction score
After my first season of running my 1801, I have decided that the stock rod holders on the boat are less than adequate. The forward piece of the set (internal plastic piece rotates) is hard to manipulate and makes getting a rod out quickly hard to accomplish.

My solution was to buy 4 replacements from TACO. I bought the piece that has a spring loaded latch that allows the rod tips to be removed quickly. It looks to be the same size as the stock hanger and I wonder if I can use the same screw holes to mount them. The TACO replacements mount like a towel bar, with a plate the attaches to the gunwale rib and then then the hanger is held to the plate with a small set screw.

Can anyone tell me how the stock hangers are mounted and what the spacing between the screws measures?

If I need to drill new screw holes, any regimen you would suggest to create a barrier against water intrusion in the old holes or the new ones I would drill?

Thanks,

Todd

Attachments

• taco hangers.jpg
    taco hangers.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 592
The Tunatic is a sharp lookin' ride. I just bought a 99 a few months back and was thinking about the under-gunwale rod holders too. I strictly fly fish and want to have my flyrods in these mounts while trailering and switch to the I fly's while underway.

Do a search on repairing screw holes and you'll get plenty of returns.

I also found that the 2 rod holders provided on my 1801 weren't enough so I moved the stock set up and mounted another set below.
Double the storage using the same space at reasonable cost.
I also mounted a four rod holder on the port side of the console.

It's not unusual for me to split a day part time trolling and the rest jigging or casting into jetties or pilings.
I fish frequently with friends so it's not unusual to have 6 or 8 rods on board. Nice to have a place to put them all.

BTW- The stock hangars are mounted with standard SS screws, #8 x 1" if I remember correctly.

I appreciate the advice. I find myself taking 3 flyrods (for me), 2 spin outfits for my two kids, and a set of trolling rods for slow days and have a hard time keeping everything from getting in the way. The flyrods live in a custom rack on the port side of the console that holds them in Bluewater holders and the spinners and trolling rods are stored in the gunwale racks.

Can anyone tell me how the stock racks are installed. Are the mounts screwed into the ribs, or is there a plate screwed to the rib, and then a set screw holds the actual holder to the plate?

Thanks,

T-Bro

Back