replacing locks in plexiglass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Anybody kow a source for replacing the lock in the plexiglass to my electronics box? For some reason I am having trouble finding them through the usual channels. Ideally I want something that can withstand the marine environment.

While I am at it, I'd like to add a lock to my tackle storage on the side of my console so i can atually leave stuff in there and not worry about it getting looted. Is there a particular drill bit I should use for plexi so I don't crack it?

jeffg":frhrxsbg said:
Anybody know a source for replacing the lock in the plexiglass to my electronics box?
A replacement would be another disc-type lock. Most of those panel-type locks use a body of pot metal, with a chrome cap, and then brass for the springs and discs. Other than keeping it full of waterproof synthetic grease, there's not too much you can do.

Do you have the existing lock? With or without keys, if not working, send it to me. My Dad was a 2nd generation locksmith of the 2nd oldest locksmithing store started in the US. He taught my brothers and I the trade and then threw us out so we'd have a chance to try our hand at something else. If you have the existing lock, I could fix it or fit keys to it for you, plus lube and waterproof it too. PM me.

jeffg":frhrxsbg said:
Is there a particular drill bit I should use for plexi so I don't crack it?
I believe that would be like drilling through brass, where you change the angle of attack of the bot from 90 degress included to be much larger, i.e., less "bite" to the cutting surface. I'd try a google search on "drilling plexiglass" as I'm sure someone's documented a method.

Back