Repowering 1985 Parker 23 Souwester with twin 115's????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_1

Reaction score
We are working on a interior re-build of a Parker 23 - deck was rotten. Boat has pair of 90's vintage 2 stroke 150's on a transom box that we want to replace. We are trying to decide whether to go to a single 250/300 or a pair of 115's. We will be fishing in the Chesapeake and near shore off New Jersey. The 250/300's both weigh 600# and the 115's weigh 400 (same as 150's) Boat seemed a bit ass heavy with the original engines. We don't need to do 40 mph but don't want to spend effectively the same $ and be underpowered. Fuel economy is also a factor. I know the 2 versus 1 is a big controversy

Also - boat has what seems to be original plastic fuel tank that seems to have 150 gallon capacity - is this typical??

Thanks

A poly tank was either a special request during the initial build or has been replaced. If your not concerned about not having the redundancy of twins then a single 250/300 will do that hull more than just fine (and save you some money).
Wish I could get my hands on those 2 stroke 150's.

I guess my question is whether the 2 115's will have enough power.. It seems that they might be more efficient at getting the power down, but..... The 2 strokes are available.....Im outside of Philly

I guess my question is whether the 2 115's will have enough power..

The answer is No.....Will it Go ? Yes.......Will it get Great Fuel Millage with the smaller engines ? NO

Why? Because your going to have to spin the Crap out of them.

Will the boat plane on one engine ? No.... This is due to the way it will be proped for twins.

Having had DF140 Suzzy's on my 23ft Mako .... In hindsight....The boat would have performed much better with a single 250.

Why? Less drag , and would have been cheaper to build. I had Fly by wire for dual stations and it was in the early stages...Not like it is now with OEM stuff available.

For the 25ft Souwester..... DF 300 Suzzy.... is a easy win.....

Had it on my '95 2530 Parker MV

Thanks for all the feedback - helped me reach a decision on the single Suzuki 300.

Back