Repowering 1998 Parker 2300 with Stainless Marine bracket...need help with shaft length and recommended HP

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Otts

Reaction score
Hello All. I have a 1998 Parker with a Stainless Marine bracket that I'm looking to repower. The 1997 Johnson 225 Ocean Runner w/ a 25" shaft was originally on another boat and was moved to the Parker when it was purchased new by the previous owner. I've owned the boat for 12 years now with no issues other than a minor amount of cavitation during hard turns.
With this information in mind, is 25" the correct shaft length? Given the 1" higher for each 1' away from the transom rule of thumb, I would need 27" of shaft after running a straight edge down the keel. The dealer is trying to talk me into a 30" shaft with a static jack plate to move the powerhead away from the water, but I am afraid the boat will look a bit strange with the motor perched up so high. Also, I was pleased with the 2-stroke 225 performance (on plane around 17 mph with a 28 mph cruise and 40 mph top end), but understand you need to move up a few HP when repowering with a 4-stoke. I had my mind set on a 250 Suzuki, but the dealer is recommending a 300. I can't say that I don't agree with his logic of "no one ever complains of too much HP", but would like to save that $4000.00 if a 250 will work. Finally, for anyone who has a similar setup, did you have to add weight to the front of the boat to offset the additional +/- 200 pounds at the back? Any advise y'all can give is greatly appreciated!

I would need 27" of shaft after running a straight edge down the keel.

No such thing.....Shaft lengths are standardized.....16 for Lil engines.......20in......25in & 30in.
Your description sounds like you have the correct length shaft now..

I've owned the boat for 12 years now with no issues other than a minor amount of cavitation during hard turns.

in a hard turn....You should be up on the trim....and tuck it in some i that hard turn....Then when straightened out.....Trim it back up.

It's Nothing to the engine dealer.....With max height adjustment.....engine will be low...This will cause extra drag and crappy fuel mileage....

Where does the cavitation plate run now....with the existing engine....What hole is it mounted in?

Back