Rewiring my 2520 Pilothouse

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmacilveen

Reaction score
What started as a simple radar tower build ended up as a total rewire and electronics swap.
20160625_074324.jpg
Here are some pics of the build on the radar tower which I moved all the other antennas up to as well.
IMG_20190323_145558917.jpg 0612201637.jpg
I purchased the aluminum from my local Metal Supermarket, alot of practice on a Tig and had a buddy powercoat it for the final finish.

This allowed me to free up deck space on the roof for the girls to lay out while I'm fishing. I want to add some closed cell foam to the roof, floor and gunnels next.

I'll add pics of the rewire and electronics swap too if there is any interest.

What started as a simple radar tower build ended up as a total rewire and electronics swap.
View attachment 25416
Here are some pics of the build on the radar tower which I moved all the other antennas up to as well.
View attachment 25414 View attachment 25415
I purchased the aluminum from my local Metal Supermarket, alot of practice on a Tig and had a buddy powercoat it for the final finish.

This allowed me to free up deck space on the roof for the girls to lay out while I'm fishing. I want to add some closed cell foam to the roof, floor and gunnels next.

I'll add pics of the rewire and electronics swap too if there is any interest.

Absolutely, would love to see pictures of the rewire. I'm doing a 17' right now and the 25' is up next, so any and all resources are much appreciated.

Absolutely, would love to see pictures of the rewire. I'm doing a 17' right now and the 25' is up next, so any and all resources are much appreciated.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Nice job!

I'm very interested in your project as well. I rewired my batteries a few years back, but its time to completely redo the entire electric system. The previous owner used too many non-marine connections and its a birds nest behind the front panel. Was thinking of doing it over winter.

Here is a before and after picture of the console. The console came off fairly easy after the back panel was removed, about half a dozen screws on the top and the same # on the sides. I was able to lean it against the captains chair to access the wiring without having to unhook the engine cables.

Console Before.jpgConsole After.jpg

I purchased some HPDE sheets from Amazon cut them out and rearranged the electronics & shifter from the dash (which obstructed my view) to a flush mount version which works extremely well.

0419201526a.jpg
The old panel (pic above) was located under the steering wheel and was extremely hard to see & operate especially in a 3-4' chop.

I purchased new LED rocker switches with indicator lights and larger white lettering from "New Wire Marine".

https://newwiremarine.com/marine-grade-switches/contura-ii/switch-combos/
No more guessing what is on or off and can easily identify the correct switch the 1st time.

Nicely done. New Wire Marine is building me a custom panel as we speak, with the etched switches and cutouts for the throttle and gauge. My dash is pretty chopped up after a couple owners swapping out equipment. I plan to seal up the edges of the current holes and the panel should cover up the dash and look clean again. Super friendly people and great customer service. Pricing is on the steep side, but hopefully you get what you pay for!

Nicely done. New Wire Marine is building me a custom panel as we speak, with the etched switches and cutouts for the throttle and gauge. My dash is pretty chopped up after a couple owners swapping out equipment. I plan to seal up the edges of the current holes and the panel should cover up the dash and look clean again. Super friendly people and great customer service. Pricing is on the steep side, but hopefully you get what you pay for!
Their switches appear to be "top shelf". Bright LEDs and solid connection ON/OFF. The tabs on the back even stood up to my hooking and unhooking MANY times and never bent or broke. The wiring instructions were very well written and easy to follow.

I hate to be that guy,, but on your radar mount it looks like you have the top plate running level. It needs to have about a 5 degree forward tilt to it, especially with the Parker's having a tendency to run with the bow high. If it is level you will shoot over small stuff a few hundred yards in front of the boat. If it just appears level in the pic and you do have it tilted some then I apologize for being that guy.

BTW how is the diving in the Crawfordville St. Marks area? Carrabelle is about as far over that way I have ventured. I like the fact you don't have to go 100'+ to find good ledges like we have to out of the PC area.

I hate to be that guy,, but on your radar mount it looks like you have the top plate running level. It needs to have about a 5 degree forward tilt to it, especially with the Parker's having a tendency to run with the bow high. If it is level you will shoot over small stuff a few hundred yards in front of the boat. If it just appears level in the pic and you do have it tilted some then I apologize for being that guy.

BTW how is the diving in the Crawfordville St. Marks area? Carrabelle is about as far over that way I have ventured. I like the fact you don't have to go 100'+ to find good ledges like we have to out of the PC area.
Thanks for saying that as I did not know that myself and am preparing for dome radar on my 2520.

Thanks for saying that as I did not know that myself and am preparing for dome radar on my 2520.
I agree with what everyone has said about mounting a radar with a 5 degree wedge. Garmin recommends it too. But I want to offer a different perspective, to suggest it's not a critical factor. The Garmin on our 2520 XLD came already mounted flat by the previous owner/Parker/ Dealer? It is mounted far-forward on the pilothouse roof. (imho, I prefer how it looks when not mounted tilted forward). It performs great at all running angles, even bow-high on plane. In low visibility (fog, storms, night) I don't run on plane and can see everything on the radar; even targets right in front of the boat; Here is one video that shows the radar;

I have 6-7 other videos posted showing the radar in use under a variety of weather conditions and running conditions. I can see birds close up, and miles away. I can see ATON's close up, and far away. I can pick up small objects right in front of the boat, in low-vis conditions, meaning 'not' on plane...

Last edited:
I am so envious of you having a transom door. Getting back in mine with dive gear on and having to get over the wide transom is a pain. I have tried to get several fiberglass shops to put one in mine but no one wants to do so. I have talked with Parker and they said if it is done right there would be no structural weakening of the transom.

I am so envious of you having a transom door. Getting back in mine with dive gear on and having to get over the wide transom is a pain. I have tried to get several fiberglass shops to put one in mine but no one wants to do so. I have talked with Parker and they said if it is done right there would be no structural weakening of the transom.
I totally agree! We love the transom door on our 2520... It's especially helpful for us old dudes! It was one of the 'must-haves' on 'the list' when we were shopping for our Parker....

I am really considering selling mine and going back with a catamaran hull. The Parker does not ride bad in 2' seas when someone else is driving and I am sitting on a bean bag in the back. It will pound you like crazy driving it though. Also I have psoratic arthritis and can't take the ride like I could at one time and getting in with gear is getting to be a struggle. At one time I had a 25' Sea Cat and have regretted getting rid of it many times. Best riding 25 hull I have ever been on and so easy to get in and out with the walk thru center transom design. Had a lot of rot and if I could do it over again I would have spent the 10K to get it reworked. IMO the cats were designed with the sloppy chop of the northern gulf of Mexico in mind. If I could find someone to put a door in my Parker this winter I will most likely keep it but if not next spring there will be another used Parker for sale.

Back