Rhodan TM Issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrender

Reaction score
Question for Rhodan owners-

I recently bought a 60" 80 lb Rhodan and was using it for my first outing this weekend. When I first powered it up and deployed it, everything worked great. Didn't have any start-up faults, was able to get GPS fix. However, once I stowed it and ran to a new spot and then tried to deploy and use it, it would not respond to commands from my FOB. It was receiving the signal from what I could tell, but wouldn't actually do anything with it. Again, the motor wasn't experiencing any faults (status light still green), had full battery, and still had GPS fix. I had to hard-reset the system to get it to work again. This remained a trend throughout the day- would work great until I had to stow and move; each time I did this I'd have to hard-reset, reacquire GPS, etc. I have a feeling that it is a issue with the tilt sensor in the system, but would imagine that this would trip the start-up tests and status wouldn't be "green."

Has anybody had similar issues? I called Rhodan this morning and explained all of this and they basically told me they couldn't help me unless I had a video of what was going on, and that they had "never experienced an issue like this before." It is going to be a couple weeks until I can get video so thought I'd throw a post on here to see if anybody had any insight into this issue.

Its a manual deploy system. I'd say that the issue isn't entirely correlated to the stow and re-deploy; I think it is mainly correlated to when I switch the motor off for an extended period of time (running between spots) and then try to start using it again. It doesn't happen every time, but definitely the majority of the time when I need to start using again I have to reset the breaker to get it to respond to FOB commands. I'm planning on doing some troubleshooting this weekend- I need to test voltage drop across the breaker to ensure there isn't anything funky going on and am going to try to do a FOB memory clear and resync.

But I think there is potentially with an issue with the receiver in the TM head or maybe something going on with the FOB (although I already swapped FOB batteries and that didn't help).

Yeah I made sure I installed on of those- have you ever had issues with the blue seas breakers? I'm running a 50 A BS 285. Had someone tell me they had similar issues and it ended up being a bad breaker causing weird voltage drops, although I'm not sure which one he was using.

No..Never had a problem and Those are the ones I install...However..2 jobs ago I replaced 1. This was due to continuous use of it as a switch and it didn't function correctly. I installed a new one and a Master ON/OFF switch.

Its a manual deploy system. I'd say that the issue isn't entirely correlated to the stow and re-deploy; I think it is mainly correlated to when I switch the motor off for an extended period of time (running between spots) and then try to start using it again. It doesn't happen every time, but definitely the majority of the time when I need to start using again I have to reset the breaker to get it to respond to FOB commands. I'm planning on doing some troubleshooting this weekend- I need to test voltage drop across the breaker to ensure there isn't anything funky going on and am going to try to do a FOB memory clear and resync.

But I think there is potentially with an issue with the receiver in the TM head or maybe something going on with the FOB (although I already swapped FOB batteries and that didn't help).

I know it sounds strange but change the battery in your FOB. I had this same problem, in an effort to try anything I changed the battery in the FOB and the problem went away.

I know it sounds strange but change the battery in your FOB. I had this same problem, in an effort to try anything I changed the battery in the FOB and the problem went away.
Rseate - I actually did that before I went out Saturday and didn't see any improvements unfortunately. I'm thinking I may need to resync the FOB too?

No..Never had a problem and Those are the ones I install...However..2 jobs ago I replaced 1. This was due to continuous use of it as a switch and it didn't function correctly. I installed a new one and a Master ON/OFF switch.

warthog- I've been using mine as a switch probably more than I should be, but I did just install it 3 months or so ago so I don't think it would become a problem yet. But the plan is to check it out

]quote] warthog- I've been using mine as a switch probably more than I should be, but I did just install it 3 months or so ago so I don't think it would become a problem yet. But the plan is to check it out [/quote]

WHY? Sounds like a cheap install.....No Master ON/OFF Sw.?

]quote] warthog- I've been using mine as a switch probably more than I should be, but I did just install it 3 months or so ago so I don't think it would become a problem yet. But the plan is to check it out

WHY? Sounds like a cheap install.....No Master ON/OFF Sw.?
[/QUOTE]

I figured that I wouldn't really have to turn it off and on much once I had it on for the day. The only reason I am using the breaker as a switch is to reset the system when it isn't working correctly. I guess I may have to add a switch into the system.

WH… what constitutes “continuous” use as a switch? How did the one you replaced fail, electrically or mechanically?

Blue Sea Systems specifically advertises the 285 for it’s ability to be used as a switch. Granted, every product has lemons, but I’d be surprised to learn that that’s not a recommended use.

It was mechanical....The Lil Flag did not pop out correctly when the switch was in the Open position... It had no Master Switch.....No clue how old the install was.

Did you get the problem fixed? I recently had my Rhodan TM have the same issue after having it almost a year. The FOB quit working, so I changed the battery in it, and it started communicating for about 1 hour. I was on the flats, it quit again fortunately during a week day, I immediately called Rhodan service, and explained what was going on. They told me to bring it in, the mother board went bad.

Question for Rhodan owners-

I recently bought a 60" 80 lb Rhodan and was using it for my first outing this weekend. When I first powered it up and deployed it, everything worked great. Didn't have any start-up faults, was able to get GPS fix. However, once I stowed it and ran to a new spot and then tried to deploy and use it, it would not respond to commands from my FOB. It was receiving the signal from what I could tell, but wouldn't actually do anything with it. Again, the motor wasn't experiencing any faults (status light still green), had full battery, and still had GPS fix. I had to hard-reset the system to get it to work again. This remained a trend throughout the day- would work great until I had to stow and move; each time I did this I'd have to hard-reset, reacquire GPS, etc. I have a feeling that it is a issue with the tilt sensor in the system, but would imagine that this would trip the start-up tests and status wouldn't be "green."

Has anybody had similar issues? I called Rhodan this morning and explained all of this and they basically told me they couldn't help me unless I had a video of what was going on, and that they had "never experienced an issue like this before." It is going to be a couple weeks until I can get video so thought I'd throw a post on here to see if anybody had any insight into this issue.
It's been a year and I just saw this post. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Back