Rigging tube Substitute opinion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexm225

Reaction score
I have a 200hp Yamaha Hpdi from 2001 on the boat. I have about a fourth the normal length of rigging tube on the end of the wires going into the hull and a Gromit in the other. Leaving the majority of my outboard wires exposed. At the time its about a 1-2 month wait to get any work done at any marina in my area. Obviously I'm ready to put her in except for this rigging tube pickle. So i was wondering what everyone thought about the idea of as a substitute using this rigging zip up sleeve until i get an appointment with the marina. This is the link. Zippered Rigging Sleeve | West Marine

I have a 200hp Yamaha Hpdi from 2001 on the boat. I have about a fourth the normal length of rigging tube on the end of the wires going into the hull and a Gromit in the other. Leaving the majority of my outboard wires exposed. At the time its about a 1-2 month wait to get any work done at any marina in my area. Obviously I'm ready to put her in except for this rigging tube pickle. So i was wondering what everyone thought about the idea of as a substitute using this rigging zip up sleeve until i get an appointment with the marina. This is the link. Zippered Rigging Sleeve | West Marine
My 2-cents; I would certainly use the Zippered Rigging Sleeve that you suggested. I would not lose days, weeks, and certainly not months of boating/fishing time because of something like this.... In fact, I'm not sure I wouldn't use just that and skip the addition of the corrugated plastic ones. Just be a careful not to step on it. I've never stepped on the factory-original anyway....

Last edited:
I used one on each of my twin 150s before my repower, after the old tube crumbled away. No complaints, they work great for UV protection. They just don’t provide any physical protection so you’ll want to avoid stepping on the cable bundles, pinching them while tilting the motor, etc.

Last edited:
I like the options suggested as a temp fix. It may seem like a pain in the arse...and it is, but I would change out the hard tube. It may take you a few hours but take lots of pictures and route everything the way it was. Unfortunately you will discover things that need to be addressed so it kinda might open a can of worms.
Covering up for the season until it can get done right may be your solution to get on the water now.

Thank you everyone for the responses im a newb to this boating stuff. Honestly before i started doing research i had no clue what the rigging tube really did. Im officially gonna get a sleeve and in a month or two im gonna have her pulled out and im gonna get it fixed aswell as a ton of other things serviced.

Back