Ring Free vs Techron Protection Plus Marine

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its4Reels!-Parker23

Reaction score
I have a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke. Just wondering if anybody is using Chevron Techron Protection Plus Marine Fuel Additive instead of Ring Free. If so what kind results are you getting...

$1/ ounce for Chevron or $1.50/ ounce of ring free. That extra .50 per 10 gallons of fuel would come out to an extra $6.50/ fill up on a 137 gallon tank. I have used Ring Free in all my Yamaha's for the past 10 years. I think it's pretty cheap insurance. Snake oil? Maybe. But, it's such a financial drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on our rigs....

I'm sticking w/ the OEM recommendations: Ring Free

I have a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke. Just wondering if anybody is using Chevron Techron Protection Plus Marine Fuel Additive instead of Ring Free. If so what kind results are you getting...
I've been 'told' as long as I use Valv-Tech gasoline, that the additive are not needed... If not, please educate me!

I've been 'told' as long as I use Valv-Tech gasoline, that the additive are not needed... If not, please educate me!

Correct. Valv-Tech has stabilizer, ring-free (or something that does the same thing) and decarbon in it. Who knows, it may be a single additive like SeaFoam, which does all 3.

I use seafoam. 15 year old 225s. Just had compression test and was at 140 at each cylinder. I’m not sure if that is a great number, but it is consistent across all cylinders. For 250 gallons it is not much cheaper than ring free though. I use about 2 gallons of saefoam at a time Benefit for me is the stabilization of fuel as my boat sits for a while at a time.

Correct. Valv-Tech has stabilizer, ring-free (or something that does the same thing) and decarbon in it. Who knows, it may be a single additive like SeaFoam, which does all 3.
Thank you! I have only used non-ethanol Valv-Tech, and that is what the marina manager where I get the Valv-Tech said; it's good to hear this verified on ClassicParker!...

Use Ring-Free and Seafoam together for my fill ups on the 2005 21SE 200 HPDI runs like a champ, A little overkill but better safe than sorry.

Thank you! I have only used non-ethanol Valv-Tech, and that is what the marina manager where I get the Valv-Tech said; it's good to hear this verified on ClassicParker!...

The VTin my area went from non-eth to ethanol 2 or 3 years ago. You may want to check with your vendor as they may be under the impression it's still non-eth.

https://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp#close
They used to state it, now they state it prevents eth related problems which tells me they make nothing but ethanol gas but the additives work to prevent eth-related issues.

The VTin my area went from non-eth to ethanol 2 or 3 years ago. You may want to check with your vendor as they may be under the impression it's still non-eth.

https://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp#close
They used to state it, now they state it prevents eth related problems which tells me they make nothing but ethanol gas but the additives work to prevent eth-related issues.
Hi GotChrist, We have two ValvTech dealers in my area, and soon to have one or two more; (Belhaven NC)... They verify it is all NON-ethanol... If I ever found out it was not so, there would be "heck" to pay! ☺

Hi GotChrist, We have two ValvTech dealers in my area, and soon to have one or two more; (Belhaven NC)... They verify it is all NON-ethanol... If I ever found out it was not so, there would be "heck" to pay! ☺

I hope that's correct. The local VT sign says ethanol. They may want to verify with VT and not just go on past knowledge.

I have a 96 Yammy 225. I don't think it's ever had any gas additive run thru it until recently when I added a bottle of ring free. Hours unknown. To validate whether an additive is necessary or provides benefit, a series of identical engines would nee run with identical conditions. Some with additive, some without. For giggles let's say the ones with it got an extra 100 hours (about one season). A cost comparison would then need calculating to show how much that extra 100 hours cost the owner. If the difference was years of longevity it might prove financially beneficial. I don't know of any outboard that died within a few years because additives were not added. That exempts the early days of ethanol which melted fiberglass fuel tanks or washed oxidation off aluminum ones and which clogged the sensitive filters and which was remedied by StarTron which kept the oxidation from forming or being washed off (my understanding of how ST came on the market).

I hope that's correct. The local VT sign says ethanol. They may want to verify with VT and not just go on past knowledge.
Thank you, good advice! Does anyone know of a 'do-it-yourself' method to test gasoline, to see if it contains alcohol? Is there a 'litmus' test? Color? Smell?.... I have trust in our local marina/fuel source, but then I don't much about the folks that they get the fuel from..

HOW TO TEST FUEL
FOR ETHANOL

To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

• On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
  • Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
  • Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.
The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

https://www.autofuelstc.com/fuel_te...e gas:,the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.

Also, do a web search on "test for ethanol in gasoline". You'll find a lot of video demonstrations. No kit required.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...for+ethanol+in+gasoline&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee

Aviation Fuel Tester with built-in cowl screwdriver, Model 391S, Clear and Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016BQEGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_PTtlFbY6G8B2M

I have one of these I use on my plane. It will test % of alcohol in fuel you add water to the sample of fuel and shake. The alcohol will absorb water and show a percentage
I wish I had seen this sooner. Thank you for the info on the tester. I thought I was set up to be notified when someone answered a question I've asked about?

HOW TO TEST FUEL
FOR ETHANOL

To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

• On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
  • Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
  • Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.
The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

https://www.autofuelstc.com/fuel_te...e gas:,the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.

Also, do a web search on "test for ethanol in gasoline". You'll find a lot of video demonstrations. No kit required.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...for+ethanol+in+gasoline&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee
Thank you. I wish I had seen this sooner. I need to check to see why I'm not being notified.

Back