Safety Upgrades For Empty Pockets

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin G.

Reaction score
Hello CP folks,

In thinking forward to the upcoming Tuna season: I decided to add some safety equipment on Empty Pockets.

So far, the longest Tuna trip last season was 225 miles round trip. We were WAY the heck and gone outside and south of the Davidson. We left and returned to Moss Landing on that trip. 14 hours. No love on that trip save for one HECKA fuel bill! :shock: :roll: :shock:

Anyway, I have purchased an ACR 406 EPIRB with internal GPS. http://www.acrelectronics.com/ I elected not to get the hydrostatic activation unit as they need to be at least 13 feet underwater to activate. Our Pakers have positive buoyancy if swamped, so I got the manual activation model.

gfixcat2.jpg

I also broke down and purchased a Revere Costal Commander 6 person hydrostatic released ditch raft and cradle. http://www.reveresupply.com/new_revere_site/coastal_commander.html I will mount it on the pilot house, between the rocket launcher and my RADAR unit. If the boat turns turtle, the unit will deploy. It is also manual deployable.

CoastComm_front.png

CANISTER_offshore_ocean.jpg

CRADLE_offshore_ocean_XT.jpg

I have several low-profile Mustang PFD’s that are hydrostatic/manual deployed as well as the classic ‘zork orange’ life vests.

All my USCG stuff is onboard and within currency. But I thought it might be a good idea to have a basic first aid kit on board. Any recomendations along this line?

I am thinking about replacing my 5” RADAR mast with a 10” or 14” mast to get a better line of sight. Also, the life raft canister is 11.5” thick and the cradle holds it off the pilot house by about 1.5 to 2 inches. If I increase the RADAR mast height, it would clear the canister and afford me 360 RADAR shots without interference.

I know you need to keep the EPIRB REALLY handy in case of being needed. Where do you folks mount yours in your boat?

Ca-CHING$$ . . . fun stuff. :shock:

Kevin G.

LOL!!

Oh darn . . .

It is too late to "stop the presses".

But I could have saved about $ 150.00 on the sale price of the unit.

I did save about $ 40.00 on shipping however. :roll:

Thanks for the link Megabyte . . . That is the very one I purchased save it was in a hard case with a mount cradle and hydrostatic release.

Sigh . . . perhaps I will pay more attention to what is posted in the future . . .

Kevin G.

Epirb:
Mine is in my ditch bag which is mounted to the 'inside' of the cabin door. Thus it is out in the cockpit ready to be grabbed when/if the door is open or then it is inside the cabin - with me - whenever the door is closed.

Liferaft:
Just be assured and ready up on that hydrostatis release info, as I believe they are set to activate once 14' below the surface of the water. I doubt any Parker will hit that level ... and sure wouldn't want to be around it if it did! You may find you'll need to mount where YOU could easily activate manually if/when swamped.

Great choices and smart decisions :D !

Back