Sending Unit Gasket/Screws

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalFly

Reaction score
All,

Need some help on what to do here. I replaced the sending unit gasket on my 23 SE the other day. When tightening down the screws, three of them tightened down perfectly. The other two got fully threaded in and began to spin without tightening. Unfortunately (of course) the two that won't tighten down are next to each other. The holes in the sending unit "plate" would not allow for a fastener any larger than the cap screws that came with the gasket kit. The only thing I could think to do was to wrap them heavily in teflon tape to try to increase the diameter of the threads slightly, which didn't help very much. Just popped the plate after using the boat this weekend and there is a tiny bit of gas that appears to have leaked from under the gasket on the "loose" side. I've attached a picture, you can see on the three tight ones how the screw gaskets are compressed and the other two are not. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Tap to next size machine screws. NO electric tools!!!!

Yep machine screws. As stated, the sending unit flange holes will not accept next size up. Guess I'll have to bore them out?

You may have to do a more elaborate repair. It looks like if you go up a size, the sealing surface of the head of the screw will be hanging over the side of the sending unit flange. If there is enough room with the tank flange between the screw hole and the sending unit you may want to consider using Helicoils to be able to use the standard screws.

Good call on the helicoil, I’ll try that route before boring out sending unit flange

The helicoil requires over drilling the damaged hole to fit the insert. I doubt there is enough material to use a helicoil plus other issues installing (needs to be glued), and removel of the tang, threaded rivet (nutsert) maybe but that leaves a lip.
Next size up on the machine screw even if opening up the through hole on the sending units flange goes beyond its diameter, just add a flat washer if needed.

Update on this. I was mistakenly going up to a 1/4" machine screw from a #10, hence why it would not fit through the flange holes. Went to the hardware store and grabbed a couple of #12's. They fit through the flange holes and tightened up perfectly in the tank holes. Project complete, thanks for the replies!

Back