Sending unit length for 1996 Parker 2520 pilot house?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Po Beavers

Reaction score
I need the specs for a new sending unit for my 1996 Parker 2520 SLT. So I won't buy the wrong one.

My 2019 2520XLD IS 16.25” deep. I replaced the 13” probe that was original with a 16.” Now when the bottom bar on the fuel gauge starts flashing it is going to get quite very soon.

I need the specs for a new sending unit for my 1996 Parker 2520 SLT. So I won't buy the wrong one.
If you’ve got an original tank and it’s not leaking, I wouldn’t mess with the sending unit. Let sleeping dogs lie. Fill up and start keeping a log of hours and how much fuel you put in when you fill up. Doesn’t take a mathematical genius to know how much fuel is in your tank with at least as much precision as a notoriously inaccurate sending unit in a big tank.

The above assuming you have an older engine. If you’ve got a newer engine that reports fuel burn, it’s even easier to know how much fuel is in your tank without a sending unit in the tank.

The depth of fuel pickup is important, too. Most are too short which limits fuel capacity
I used a bore scope through the sender access and found the pickups to be about a 1/4" off the bottom of the tank. They are also aft of the sender so the tend to be lower because of the way she sits in the water.
IMG_2396.JPGIMG_2395.JPG

My 2019 2520XLD IS 16.25” deep. I replaced the 13” probe that was original with a 16.” Now when the bottom bar on the fuel gauge starts flashing it is going to get quite very soon.
About to do the same. Did you use any sealant like Permatex in addition to the gasket on sender unit?

No amount of effort to make the fuel gauge accurate will make me trust it more than learning the average fuel consumption per mile. Like Mpellet said, fill your tank, log your hours and refill. After a few times you'll know. Now, I dont like to run full all the time but after you get this crucial knowledge under your belt you don't need to. Of course milage varies with conditions, load and speed, but you'll get a good feel for it. Then, just like in your car never try to cut it too close. I plan to arrive back at the dock with a third of a tank if possible.

My 94 Pilothouse has a gauge on top of the sending unit that is much more accurate than the fuel gauge on the helm. Are those still available?
Yes....It's a mechanical gauge.
You either have mechanical or electric. [Unless you have 2 senders] I've never seen that.

I spent quite a bit of time changing gauge and multiple senders to get fuel acurate on my current boat. [ 2072 SeaArk. ] Manufactures suggest a min from bottom of tank. I was able to find a Reed sender that was a Lil longer than what I did have. This helped emencly . It's a 30gl tank.

Back