Shopping for used Parker 2520: XL, MV, DV, SL, SC?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmucciolo

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

This is my first post here, so please excuse my ignorance. We are considering a pilot house 25' Parker and would appreciate the assistance of the Parker experts here in deciphering the codes: XL, SL, MV, and DV. I assume that the MV stands for Modified V and that DV stands for Deep V. What do the XL, SC, and SL modifiers denote?

Additionally, we'd be using the boat primarily inshore and rarely offshore Florida's east central coast. I prefer a single engine and plan on keeping our next boat moored in the water. The segment of the ICW we frequent has a speed limit of 30MPH, so top speed is not high on the list of priorities. With that information in mind, which model do you suggest?

I'd prefer a used boat for economic reasons and would like to know if there are particular problem areas unique to Parkers to which I should pay extra attention while shopping. As a long-time Boston Whaler owner, I am aware of the soft spots which sometimes occur in the decks and water logging which can affect the foam.

I know that no boat is perfect, but the Parker looks as if it may be ideal for us!

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Regards,
Paul

Hey Paul....

Former Whaler owner here as well. The pilothouses in the 25' range come in various configurations. You can see much of the information you are looking for from Parkerboats.net. I'll do my best highlighting major differences:

2520 MV : 14 degree deadrise. Stable. Less "rock and rolling" at drift fishing than deeper v's.

2520SL : 16 degree deadise. Open Transom. 150 gallon tank.

2520XL : 16 degree deadrise. Closed transom and armstrong bracket. 170 gallon tank I think. Slighly wider and taller pilothouse than the SL (at the expense of walkaround width)

I think this year 2520SLD and 2520XLD were introduced. which are the above boats but with 21 degree deadrises. Those new ones most probably need twins.

Parker owners have learned that their pilothouses are not suited for 50 mile offshore runs in 6 feet swells at high speed. They are not Regulators or Contenders. They are suited for dry rides, even in the same conditions, with intelligent use of tabs. I use mine for fishing and cruising around with my family, and it is a perfect rig for our needs, although a 2520XL with twin 150's would be a nice rig for me too!

Mine is for sale, although I think I am too far away for it to make sense for you. I know a lot about my particular model (2005 2520SL Yamaha F250) and would be happy to chat or help you find the right boat. I think there is actually a 2520 with an inboard I think for sale in Northern Florida if I am not mistaken (Stank Bait). Check for the sale area at the bottom of this forum?[/i]

Welcome to ClassicParker Paul!
I agree, that the 'alphabet soup' of the various models can be confusing.

Sal gave you a pretty good rundown, so I won't re-hash the specifications...

The two models that you'll find the most of on the used market will be the MVSC and the DVSC, because those models have been in production the longest.

As Sal mentioned, the MV is a modified vee and the DV is a deep vee. The SC designations stands for Sport Cabin, or pilothouse type.

If you are looking for a single motor, and a boat that can handle the (sometimes) skinny water of the ICW, you want to be looking at the MV with 14 degrees of deadrise, the XL (the 'extra length' cabin model) and the SL (standard length) both with 16 degrees of deadrise.

I know of a couple DVSC's with single 250 hp motors, but most of the DV's that you will see are rigged with twins.
If you're looking for a little more room in the pilothouse, the XL is a good choice and many of them have an additional pair of jump seats facing inward behind the two helm seats.

Here is a 2520 XL on a lift in my creek. This one has the optional canvas rear wall (like my 2520 MVSC) as well as a kicker motor, rear driving station, and cockpit bimini.
Finding one like this on the used market would be a rare find indeed...

Image-7F122582D0A811D9.jpg

Here is an '02 model 2520 MVSC with the standard cabin bulkhead.
This one is actually 'for sale' in my local marina.

Image-8971B5DCCB0F11D9.jpg

Lots of configurations... lots of choices.
Hope this helps in your search. :)

One more suggestion. Talk to John Flook from CW (Kingfish). He has a 92 Pilothouse he doesn't talk about much on CW (as its a Whaler forum). Very generous guy with knowledge to tap into..... He has owned his for quite some time, and it is his camp workhorse boat; he can give you a lot of insight, to supplement that which can be had from this site.

Thank you for sorting out the model designations and providing your insights. My quest continues...

Paul, i purchased a used 04 2520xl in 2005. Used the boat all winter in the Florida Keys. After having center consoles for the last 10 years, the boat outperforms and gives lots of extras over the cc,s. I prefer the xl because the transom is closed and mine is fitted with large fish box. The stability of the 2520xl at anchor is lengendary. If your primary use is inshore any of the mvs will be great (14 or 16). The main advantage of these hulls is that they are more fuel efficent and give much better performance on one engine. Mine has a four stroke 225 and is able to go as fast as I want. ( See other performance links. ) Good luck on your search..
Don

Paul,

I'm a recent convert to the Parker sport cabin. I've had many center consoles over the years, ranging in size from 19' up to 28'. My boat before the Parker was a 28' Blackfin, but twin 454's aren't exactly a good option right now with gas prices what they are.

I was looking for the protection my Blackfin gave me with the speed and fuel efficiancy of the center consoles, and the ability to sneak in close to the rocky shore around where I live, and I've certainly found it all in my 25' MVSC. She pounds a bit more than I'd like in a big sea, but as mentioned above, if you slow down and use your tabs the ride smooths right out.

I've reached 40mph (SOG) with my single Optimax 225, but cruise generally aroun 30mph at about 4200, burning 12 gallons per hour. All in all, while there's no "perfect" boat, I'd rate the 25' MVSC pretty darn close.

By the way, I found mine for sale on Boats.com.

Good luck!

all,

the vee question is an old one, and comes down to physics......the
more vee the

[1] more gas it will use....dragging that vee THROUGH (not over)
the water surface.....deep vee boat commonly need at least 50%
more engine that mod vee, and sometimes more like double....
the will "outperform" the mod vees in heavy water, but at the
gas pump, you are his!

[2] the more rolling it will do (when off plane).......if you run
2-4 hrs offshore going out and the same back, the deep vee will
be minimally a problem....if you troll a lot, or anchor a lot, it
can "roll the soda out of your biscuits".....in the trough, it will
SNAP ROLL and put the contents , including passengers, in some
serious danger.

[3] the smoother, calmer, and safer it will run either into the waves
or away from them......it has a keel that keeps it running softly and
straight.....for long runs in open water, this virtue may well come
to the fore, eg blackfin, grady, bertram, et al.....

you really will COMPROMISE in your choice, because you wont get all
desirable traits in one boat......for myself,

[1] i only run at 17-18 knots anyway, so the slower pace allows the
mod vee to perform acceptably until you head straight into 3 footers

[2] i spend far more time at anchor, and my mod vee feels like a
40 ft boat to walk around on.....

[3] even fifteen years ago, i was clear enough to me that gas was
only going skyward; i am surprised it took this long......with a
350 chevy, even at 15 years in a 2520, it is only seven gal/hr....
when i tell a grady 25(now 27) owner that, they weep openly....
a blackfin 25 i rode on had TWO 350 v8s running at the SAME RPM
that i do to push it at the same speed........cost of fuel is a major
issue for me.

[4] i can and will change my plans/itinerary to suit the boat.....for
some, getting somewhere (and the somewhere isnt negotiable)
and getting there in the minimum time is absolutely priority......the
deep vee is an easy choice for them......just be very clear, for
time at anchor or trolling, or at the fuel dock, the mod vee seriously
OUTPERFORMS the deep vee.....the just cant get the perfect boat
that will be a star in all situations!

dan

Back