Show and tell: Your tow vehicle

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Mine is a 2003 F-150 5.4 4x4 Extended Cab with heavy duty tow package, 3.55 and 4 wheel trac-loc. I have modified her for towing/hauling with a K&N induction system, tuned exhaust, Rancho 9000 shocks, a Rancho steering stabilizer, E range tires, brembo rotors, ebc green stuff brakes, and new sway bars. I wanted to add a "Big Brake" kit but that is verious serious money. While making about 330 HP and 300 pounds of torque, she handles the 2320 pretty good, although I am always carefull with the braking. Have you all done anything to improve your tow vehicle?

crack_006.JPG

When I was towing my 17 Dusky Open Fisherman, I towed with my daily driver... a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic.

jeep01.jpg

She has been modified with a K&N FIPK induction package, a 60 mm high performance throttle body, Jet computer chip and low temp t-stat, stainless steel cat-converter, mandrel bent, and custom built 2.5" stainless steel exhaust blowing through a Magnaflow stainless muffler...

Suspension upgrades include Edelbrock shocks, an AirLift airbag system for level towing, drilled and slotted front brake rotors with HD, non-dusting, towing rated pads (front) and shoes (rear).

Electrical mods include an Optima AGM battery, all tail and marker lights replaced with LED's, Hella headlamps... you get the idea. :)

Summer wheels are American Racing Torq-Thrust D's (in chrome), and BF Goodrich 235-70x15 T/A's.
Winter wheels are the optional factory Jeep 5-spokes also with BF Goodrich 235-70x15 T/A's.

Image-2E7358998F3511D8.jpg

She has over 177,000 miles on her and he longevity is due to a regular diet of Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and careful maintenance. :D

I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4. The only modifications I've made is to keep it loaded with dirt to get more traction and to protect the paint job....
dirtytruck.jpg

Here is a picture when it was clean one day.

Potofgold3.jpg

Richard

No pics....yet.

98 4Runner SR5 6-Cyl. 4X4

Has tow package.

Key thing is the auxilary trans. cooler.

Towing an 18' Parker SE on a Shoreline w/ surge brakes.
I may eventually put a super charger on it.

esfishdoc":3j7ir41h said:
I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4. The only modifications I've made is to keep it loaded with dirt to get more traction and to protect the paint job....
dirtytruck.jpg

Here is a picture when it was clean one day.

Potofgold3.jpg

Richard

esfishdoc,

I have been enjoying and appreciating your various posts.

In looking at your rig it occurred to me that your trailer isn't level. I think this might affect your towing and braking performance. It might be worthwhile to use a ball mount with a 5 inch +/- rise. I recently noticed that I have the same problem and I ordered an adjustable ball mount to try to solve the problem. Let us know what you think.

I agree the trailer is not quite level. This picture also seems to accentuate it.

For the last two years I’ve been getting around to changing it. It rides just fine and I can’t see any tire wear to suggest a problem.

Some things just take time……

My tow vehicle is a 2000 F-250 Super Duty Super Cab short bed 4x4 with a 7.3 Powerstroke and an automatic. It's mechanically bone stock-keep the fuel, air and tranny fluid clean and cool and it's virtually flawless. I put Bilstein shocks and BFG 315/75R-16 All Terrain KD's on the stock rims to improve performance in rough terrain (not while towing the Parker). XM and a Garmin GPS in the cab. The single best improvement was putting the 2320 behind it.............

Attachments

• PCroadrs.jpg
    PCroadrs.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 9,748
No photos....

2004 1500 Chevy Suburban with 5.3l Vortex. 3.73 G80 (positive traction) rear.

Tows my boat nicely (total tow weight of ~6400#)

Possible 2004 Dodge 2500 Stand cab Ram w/ cummins for my daily driver as my wife gets mad when I take the Suburban to tow the boat and she has to fit our 3 kids on my Lincoln LS. (I may get better fuel mileage with the truck over the lincoln too)

rangerdog":h960jsy1 said:
FishFactory":h960jsy1 said:
"RangerDog", what kind of hitch ?

It is a class III factory hitch.

I thought so. Most light duty p/u's come with class III (5000#'s = or -) hitches. You're about a ton too light.

B-faithful...you probably have a Eaton G-80 LOCKING DIFF. Way better than the Ford/Dodge "limited slip". :wink:

maybe these'll work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhGRe9CLsE&NR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhGRe9CLsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlacQlBGcQ

FishFactory":35js913n said:
rangerdog":35js913n said:
FishFactory":35js913n said:
"RangerDog", what kind of hitch ?

It is a class III factory hitch.

I thought so. Most light duty p/u's come with class III (5000#'s = or -) hitches. You're about a ton too light.

Yes I know. I was wondering when you talked to my wife! :lol: The factory rates my truck set up as having a 7500# towing capacity but yet the (non-weight distributing) hitch rating is 5000/500#. I figure on the high side I am below 7500 even with a full tank of boat go-juice. The weight distributing hitch rating for it is 8500/850#.

They, of course, do not provide receiver or WDH kit from the factory, leaving it up to the operator to be responsible for proper trailer set-up. I, of course, have not gotten around to buying a WDH kit. :oops:

You have succeded in getting me off my lazy duff and making me order the 8500/85# WDH kit that I should have had two years ago. It was the plan when I bought my truck and boat! :D

NO, NO, Not weight distributing! arrrrrrgh!

You can get a heavy (class IV) hitch that bolts on, no new holes for about $200 from anyone who sells hitches. Way less trouble than the wd hitch stuff.

I was under the impression that weight distributing hitches would not work with surge brakes.
I know my BIL has one for his camping trailer, but it has electric brakes, not hydraulic surge brakes.
:?:

He has a Class 4 (or 5) hitch for towing his Grady.

Kevin,

Good talking to you last night. Forgot to ask about the performance improvement you got from doing this,
"She has been modified with a K&N FIPK induction package, a 60 mm high performance throttle body, Jet computer chip and low temp t-stat, stainless steel cat-converter, mandrel bent, and custom built 2.5" stainless steel exhaust blowing through a Magnaflow stainless muffler... "

boondoggle":1uym05ou said:
Forgot to ask about the performance improvement you got from doing this,
"She has been modified with a K&N FIPK induction package, a 60 mm high performance throttle body, Jet computer chip and low temp t-stat, stainless steel cat-converter, mandrel bent, and custom built 2.5" stainless steel exhaust blowing through a Magnaflow stainless muffler... "

I haven't had her to the track, and don't plan to anytime soon, but I have had her bark the tires when she shifts into second gear. :)

I don't think there are too many 4.0 litre Jeeps that could hang with her. :wink:

Have a 2005 F-350 diesel, short bed SuperCab 4x4.

Occasionally moves a 1996 2530.

Truck gets waxed twice a year and maintained. Added mud flaps and Rhino Liner.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02809 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02809 (Medium).JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 9,573
Back