Simrad transom mount transducer location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have to questions regarding the location of a new Simrad transom mount all-in-one transducer. This came with a new Simrad GO9.

1. Should I position the transducer so that the bottom of the ducer is in line with the bottom of the boat, or 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower? The installation instructions say in-line. Everything else I read says a little lower.

2. Am I ok if I position it less than 15 inches from the centerline of the boat plus half the diameter of the propellor? I’m closer by about 3 inches. If I go further out it will be mount ER at the chine or strake.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

#1 ....... 1/4"

#2 You should be fine....For sure not behind the Strake.

A good pix would help.

My 3 into 1 runs immediately down the bracket on the stbd side. If you are on your phone viewing this thread, you can pinch and zoom into this area to see my installation. No problems reading while running or bottom fishing. Sorry, its' the only pic of my transom I could find...
2BE59E88-8731-4385-9BB2-6E649883FF2C.jpeg

How did you run wire through hull? I have a 2320 I plan to do the same with.

Legal Bill, if your boat does not have a bracket, just look over the back while underway. There should be a "best" spot on the starboard side with clean (non-aerated) water.
As for the bracket boat, orient yourself using a particular bracket bolt. You want to be below the bracket on the outside obviously, and above the floor on the inside, while leaving enough room on the outside for clearance of your cable clam fitting. This will make sense when you look at it closely. I cut mine about 1/8" too high because I did not do these things. Also, plan on doing this over several days since you want to saturate the inside of the hole with epoxy.
They make structurescan through hull transducers, but by nature they are either a pair or need to be mounted closer to the centerline.

also i find angling the transducer upward (10-15 degrees) helps it track bottom while at speeds.

I just installed a 3-1! I already have a 1k shoot thru transducer, I just wanted side scan! I over drilled and epoxy filled the holes. Here's where I placed it. I had to try and avoid water pickup/thru hull and temperature sensor. I also tried to set it 1/4" below the transom. I see syndgoose's transducer is much further down than mine, I wonder if he's got a rooster tail :ROFLMAO: I also worried about putting too much drag on the transducer and it ripping out. I'll be using MDR transducer paint on the transducer surface. Primocon & Trilux 33 on the transducer bracket but also bonded to the zinc on the adjacent trim tab.

I still have a lot of other work to do before boat goes back in the water so I can't say how it works while on plane. Hopefully it will still work on plane, but I have the 1k transducer anyway which works while on plane. I just need sidescan at troll and drift speeds

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_163825433.jpg
    IMG_20220214_163825433.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220214_163827091.jpg
    IMG_20220214_163827091.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220214_163832113.jpg
    IMG_20220214_163832113.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
hmm, keep in mind, I just thought of something , I did not check to see if the trim tabs when positioned all the way down will block the sidescan. In the up position they clear, but not sure about down.

Keep that in mind when you install yours. I do like syndgoose's installation which is further down the transom. I essentially wanted to reuse some holes that were already there from a previous transducer...

Back