Sou'wester fuel tank question (few will know)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik_L

Reaction score
Ok, first of all, thank you everyone for posting up the great info that you do. Does any of the oldskool parker peeps know how they treated the exterior of the fuel tank from the factory back in "88"? 20210514_070134.jpgScreenshot_20210421-211038_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm guessing that if I have a coated tank, it has been replaced?

Thanks Brent. It's been a while since I looked at that plate.
And thank you too cap'n Dan.
Sydngoose- that IS good news.
Thank you guys. I appreciate you jumping in so quickly to answer my question.

I have an 89 Sowester 2520. I just had my tank replaced last month. It had a coating on it, but had degraded over the past 30 years and had pitting in the sides that were very close to causing Leaks. The issue is the open cell foam that Parker put in the hull between the stringers and to set the tank. That allows any water to absorb and sit on the outside of that tank. If you are in fresh water, you still could have a galvanic corrosion issue. Mine has been in salt water and brackish water its whole life. It also had leaks around the pie plates and deck hatch that allowed water to get to the plywood that they used to build the floors. They did not sandwich the plywood between fiberglass, only fiberglassed over it. I had mine replaced as part of a re-decking project for the cockpit with Coosa Board. If you have an opportunity to replace the tank, I would do it.

Just M2cw leaking and poorly maintained deck hatches lead to water leaking onto tank foam and water saturation. . Good idea to service and replace O rings or replace entire hatch. The wood deck edges should be sealed to protect the deck
Hi Brent, it's good advice on the deck-hatch/pie-plates maintenance.
But sometimes it's hard/impossible to find replacement 'O' rings, as Parker has changed brands of the 'pie-plates' a number of times. For example, our 2013 2020 has 'pie-plates' made made by Innovative Products Solutions, Part# M6AP.... They, and 'Go-To-Marine' (the supplier) are long out of business. I have not yet be able to find specific replacement 'O'-rings for them, but I have found something 'close' at a local farm-supply/Agri-Supply. They are not a perfect fit, so I will likely replace the entire pie-plate with a brand that I hope will be around awhile, and has replacement parts available; when I change them, I'll buy a large supply of 'O'-rings, and store them in a sealed container after soaking them in 303 Protectant.

Last edited:
Definitely good advice, and I've already changed out any (suspect) pie plates with new oversize hatches to make maintenance easier for me.

Hi Brent, it's good advice on the deck-hatch/pie-plates maintenance.
But sometimes it's hard/impossible to find replacement 'O' rings, as Parker has changed brands of the 'pie-plates' a number of times. For example, our 2013 2020 has 'pie-plates' made made by Innovative Products Solutions, Part# M6AP.... They, and 'Go-To-Marine' (the supplier) are long out of business. I have not yet be able to find specific replacement 'O'-rings for them, but I have found something 'close' at a local farm-supply/Agri-Supply. They are not a perfect fit, so I will likely replace the entire pie-plate with a brand that I hope will be around awhile, and has replacement parts available; when I change them, I'll buy a large supply of 'O'-rings, and store them in a sealed container after soaking them in 303 Protectant.
Look at Tempress or Beckson hatches, and look for O ring supplier in area - someone will have them or buy online from MCMaster Carr, Grainger, etc

Look at Tempress or Beckson hatches, and look for O ring supplier in area - someone will have them or buy online from MCMaster Carr, Grainger, etc
The Innovations Products Solutions have a 'very special' size 'O'-ring... I think they were manufactured in the Delta-Quadrant (for you/us Star Trek fans!) ☺
I'll replace the entire 'pie-plate'....

Last edited:
Ok, gotta update. Papdaddy had me thinking about his 89'. Checked my inspection plate on the fuel tank after cleaning up after fishing yesterday, Dec 1987. AFP (aluminum fabricated products) out of Perry Florida is the manufacturer. Coated doesn't mean replaced. Oh well, put it on the list...

Back