Steering rod bent for seastar Steering system.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

Reaction score
I have a 2014 2520 XLD with a Yamaha 300 and a kicker motor. As you can see on the picture the the rod going thru the motor housing is bent and control arm to the motor is broke.

I am trying to determine what might of caused this and if it can be fixed without buying a new system.. It was not caused by banging on the dock, etc...

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 59659492-CF02-4428-B789-81C8A230AECF.jpeg
    59659492-CF02-4428-B789-81C8A230AECF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 604EAC5F-17B7-4119-8E83-EFBDE36AC9E8.jpeg
    604EAC5F-17B7-4119-8E83-EFBDE36AC9E8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
I have a 2014 2520 XLD with a Yamaha 300 and a kicker motor. As you can see on the picture the the rod going thru the motor housing is bent and control arm to the motor is broke.

I am trying to determine what might of caused this and if it can be fixed without buying a new system.. It was not caused by banging on the dock, etc...

any thoughts would be appreciated.
We have virtually the same boat as you, and our Armstrong bracket has the 'accommodation' for a kicker motor. I have often thought about adding one. I can't imagine what caused this damage, but I will be watching this post carefully to learn what happened....sorry you are having this trouble, and I hope we can learn from your experience!

Well per the mechanic he stated that the rod got bent somehow from hitting a dock due To the rod sticking out to the side of the swim platform or someone hit the outboard causing the rod to bend a little bit. The hydraulic steering would of forced it to bend more due to binding.

Anyway, I am changing the seastar system to a panther system. The New system will not have the rod on the kicker like seastar did.

I have the exact same Seastar steering system for the 9.9 kicker on my parker and I had a similar experience. I was at the fuel dock with the engines cranked all the way starboard so that little rod was fully extended. When pulling away after fueling the bar made contact with the dock and bent causing the steering for both engines to bind - turning the wheel made it worse and my bar looked just like the photos you've posted.

good luck with the panther system be interested to hear how you like it - I just replaced mine like for like,

My 2320 with Yamaha 300 and T9.9 kick had the same sea star system. It lasted about 1 years time before it bent. I was not impressed and did not hit anything.
I replaced it with a real tie bar system.

Back