Steering wheel knob

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freespool

Reaction score
Hello all,
A while ago I purchased the Edson steering wheel knob from West Marine. I couldn't get it to cinch down far enough on the wheel (even with the smaller adapter). The stock steering wheel was simply too skinny. I ultimately returned it and got a refund.
I have added a second station to the tower and am now looking to revisit this project. Am I missing something? My option is to drill through the wheel, but I really don't want to do that. Any suggestions?

This is the wheel you do NOT want....Note where the spinner knob is. It takes a noticeable amount more effort to turn the wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... 03&vxp=mtr

This is the one you want.

13 1/2, has the 5/8in nut that fits Seastar hyd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... c4&vxp=mtr

Now...You need to understand that Those shiny wheels look good, but they tend to flash in your face when in the sun....Which is pretty much all the time.

If your going to a Uflex helm You need a metric nut for the shaft on the helm.

I have this wheel, because I have a UFlex helm. But I need to really Black the wheel out.

100_5747_zpsc8dbdad4.jpg

This will fit a UFlex hyd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... a8&vxp=mtr

I appreciate all of the suggestions, however, I need a knob for the tower and for the downstairs station. I am not down with buying two new wheels. It's just too much money. So, back to the original question. Any recommendations of the after market knobs?

I got an aluminum 'tractor' knob for $10. Doesn't look as nice as the stainless ones, but does the job.

I bought one from eBay it was the 10$ one works great no prob. Just spray it with wd 40 before by install it.

I bought the Seadog one from eBay and it is stainless for around $15 and I did change it to an inside mount other than the way I had it in the picture.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400030841.200863.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400030841.200863.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 757
I went with the Edson(s) front and rear.

Attachments

• 01 helm.jpg
    01 helm.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 02 rear station.jpg
    02 rear station.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 700
Brent":2wh4crrd said:
Why are they better? I don't have one and can purchase one from eBay or tractor supply for less. Status is acceptable answer too

Most boat folks wouldn't know an Edson from a China copy. :)
When I was still working, I could afford it, so I did.
No other reason. :wink:

Brent":1dhae0sm said:
I should talk. Just spent 700 bucks to repair and re blue 1924 winchester model 12 shotgun.... could have a bought another one for less

I know that feeling...
OMG the money I have invested with what is sitting in my safe right now. :shock:

I had same problem and solved it by wraping wheel with electrical tape where knob mounted and haven't had a problem since.

Megabyte":wng0v0zz said:
I went with the Edson(s) front and rear.
I just ordered 2 Edson Power Knobs as well, but shopped around considerably. How can Defender Marine sell them for only $75/ea. when everywhere else they go for between $110-$150? That's a major difference. I made sure Defender listed the same Pro series part number...969ST-18. Supposedly mounts to wheels between 5/8"-1-1/8". Anyone know what diameter the Parker wheels are?

Will the Edson Powerknobs require tape under them to beef up the wheel diameter? They arrived this morning, only a day and a half since ordering them. I guess only from CT down to S. Jersey. I still can't believe that Defender Marine sells these almost at half of what many out there do.

Back