Steering wheel knob

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The (2) knobs I ordered each came with a pair in inserts which capture the locking screw, one large and one small insert. The Cabin wheel took one size insert and my 2nd station took the other size insert. Both are locked down solid, zero movement.

johnkn":3tmg3dr1 said:
The (2) knobs I ordered each came with a pair in inserts which capture the locking screw, one large and one small insert. The Cabin wheel took one size insert and my 2nd station took the other size insert. Both are locked down solid, zero movement.
Did you have to shim up the diameter with tape, prior to installing (as previously mentioned), in order to get it snug? The boat is an hour away in the slip, and calipers are here, so don't know if the 2 wheels are different like you found.

They look like REAL nice quality. Bearings feel smooth, cap even has an o-ring. Very heavy. Machined nicely too. Any common preference as to mounting position, 10 oclock, 2 oclock, etc. when heading is straight?

I didn't have to do anything but bolt them on, they both locked down perfectly tight and haven't budged in 4 months. I placed mine around the 10 o'clock position at both stations but not sure it matters much. Good luck.

Beware.
I removed the Edson knobs from my primary and second station steering wheels. Their weight caused my autopilot to overreact.

After removal the autopilot holds a course much better, and with less work. I don’t really miss them

Did
Beware.
I removed the Edson knobs from my primary and second station steering wheels. Their weight caused my autopilot to overreact.

After removal the autopilot holds a course much better, and with less work. I don’t really miss them
Regardless of where you mount the knob on a boat with hydraulic steering, if you’re not manually steering the boat, gravity eventually results in the knob resting at 6 o’clock position. The entire time the knob is sliding down to 6 o’clock, it is gently exerting pressure on the wheel, causing the helm pump to interject a bit of positive hydraulic pressure into the system while the autopilot is attempting to steer the boat.

That additional hydraulic pressure being exerted by the helm goofs up the autopilot and can result in erratic behavior. Once the knob hits 6 o’clock, things tend to settle down in terms of the autopilot but with a Parker Pilot House, there typically is not a lot of free space between the wheel and the helmsman chair and the most uncomfortable place for that knob to be sticking out is at the 6 o’clock position.

IMO unless you’ve got a tilt helm and can comfortably park the knob at 6 o’clock , Edson Knob & autopilot on a Parker Pilot House isn’t a great combination….

Last edited:
" gravity eventually results in the knob resting at 6 o’clock position"
This is interesting to me because I have not witnessed this to happen at our helm wheel. The edison knob seems to stay at the last position touched from manual steering. For reference we have the Raymarine SmartPilot. The AP did "act-up" one time, sending the boat into a circle, but other then that, no issues, and it has not happened again (yet). Now, trying to bubble purge the hydraulic steering system with the auto pilot, thats another issue.

Back