Stern mounted GPS trolling motor on a 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pogoparker

Reaction score
Has anyone stern mounted a GPS trolling motor on their 2120 or similar boat?

I saw a picture on here with one, but I'd think the motor would want to keep the stern pointed to current/wind when spotlocked.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Just trying to find the best mounting point on the stern. This is my new catfishing boat on Kerr Lake, Va ( no current). Since I fish out of the stern, hoping the spotlock will take the place of a stern anchor when I double anchor or vertical jig over structure. Also I assume it will work for a slow (< .5 mph ) backtroll or drift control. Am I correct in thinking that a forward troll can't use the gps function. Are the left/right manual controls reversed when trolling forward?

Last edited:
Basically all GPS anchor trolling motors are bow mounted. I assume you could fabricate a mounting plate and transom mount it, but it won't perform as well.

It's going to take more power to push the transom of the boat around compared to the bow. As mentioned previously, it'll also hold you transom into the wind and current. The auto route and hold heading features will be backwards if you transom mount it, and there is no good way to fix that. If you're manually driving it with the remote, as long as the trolling motor head is facing forwards, left will still be left and right will still be right. But, like I previously mentioned, ALL autopilot or heading specific automatic features will be backwards if you transom mount it as they are all designed to be bow mounted.

Once you're using the GPS anchor or spot lock (or whatever your manufacturer calls it), the GPS has no way of knowing which direction your bow is pointing. When the wind or current shifts, your boat will pivot around the trolling motor. If you're using a real anchor up front, i'd think this could cause issues and the trolling motor GPS won't be able to keep the boat in the same orientation.

I do a lot of wreck and structure fishing with my GPS anchor trolling motor. It's a game changer. I also used to use two anchors to get my boat position and direction perfect, but I find that a single bow mounted GPS anchor trolling motor is sufficient. You'll mostly stay bow into the wind/current on the trolling motor GPS anchor, and if it shifts, its easy enough to just hit a few buttons and adjust the boat. I bet that you'll quickly stop bothering with the real anchor at all once you get a GPS anchor trolling motor. Once you get the hang of it, you can stay parked on top of an exact spot easily.

I'd also highly encourage you to just bow mount it.

Thanks for your advice, I agree that a bow mount is best. Just no clean and easy way to mount a TM on a pilothouse boat. I went to the Parker dealer and asked how they bow mount them and he said they had never done one. Still hoping to hear from someone who actually tried a stern mount.

Back