Striped Bass Stocks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albiejunkie

Reaction score
This goes out to the guys on the upper East Coast.
If you haven't heard about the current Striped Bass stock assessment, it's not good.
Without going into too many details (I'll let you do your own due diligence), our beloved bass are in trouble, again.
I guess I'm asking you all to take a look at whats going on and maybe use better fishing practices on them, if the season is even open in your area. I know NC and Virginia have just shut it down, with some other Mid Atlantic states looking into it.
Maybe using inline circle hooks instead of trebles (I take my trebles off), or just targeting another fish instead.
Link to Washington Post article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... f92793e717

Good Luck out there and be safe.

mildew2":38jt1lnu said:
More like over netted for years JMO

Agreed, never could you overfish these by hook and line. The commercial fisheries along with Omega corporation have ruined the stripe bass population. Omega targets menhaden by the millions of pounds in the Chesapeake leaving no need for them to travel these areas anymore. Sadly, over 85% of all striped bass spawn in the northern flats of Chesapeake and Potomac. Now their primary source of food is depleted so the trip is a bit more difficult. Most striped bass stay much further north now Sad as I grew up catching these beautiful fish and just spent 8 hours today catching just 3 under 17”. Probably won’t try again this year for them. It’s all money and politics and like typical govt they preach symbolism over substance and blame the little man (recreational fisherman) accomplishing nothing while doing it. I just wish the feds would step in and make the same rules as they did with the red drum.

Ok, I’m off my soap box, sorry it’s just very close to home

Back