Student Boat Building Project. BROCKWAY SCOW

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan 2530

Reaction score
Since we have a snow day today so no work in the shop, I thought I would fill you guys in on a little project I got going with one of my classes.

http://connecticut-te.blogspot.com/2008 ... -news.html

We are building a 20' Brockway scow for the local shellfish commission in the town that I teach in. The kids are having a ball with it, I just hope we can get it done before the end of school in June!!!!!

Outstanding Bryan!! :mrgreen:

I would enjoy future posts on the progress.

What a GREAT project for your class.

Outstanding civic action at it's finest.

Kevin G.

Bryan A":2w75l9r1 said:
We are building a 20' Brockway scow for the local shellfish commission in the town that I teach in.

:shock: Jeez, that's awesome. When I was in high school shop, all we got to make was a wooden paper towel holder, a wrought iron plant hanger and some cheap transistor radio !

Times sure have changed! What a great project.

Jeez, that's awesome. When I was in high school shop, all we got to make was a wooden paper towel holder, a wrought iron plant hanger and some cheap transistor radio !

At-least you had the opportunity to do those projects. Most school systems are cutting programs like that and mine. Most children are plugged into video games and computers at home only to go to school and do a lot of the same.
I like my students to work with there hands and learn the basics as well as the new technologies that are out there.

I believe this is one of the reasons the USA is not a leader in manufacturing anymore, not the main one but one of them, we don't allow out children to experience working with their hands.

I would enjoy future posts on the progress.

I put up some pictures of my boat building classes.

Here are some examples of past projects.

brockbow.JPG

For some reason I can't link to these??????
watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

That is AWESOME. They must be very proud when it's all done.

Who gets the boat?

Basically whoever buys the materials. Sometimes it is the student(s), sometimes it is a member of the community. I have built over 30 boats with my students over the past 10 years of teaching at my current school. I am a very Hands-On type of teacher when it comes to projects. Real work not simulated work.

Here are some more shots of my classes in action.

019S.jpg

016S.jpg

020S.jpg

very cool stuff. if i had learned that stuff earlier in life, maybe i wouldn't have spent so much time in prison.

...............just kidding. 8)

Hey Bryan, I didn't want to confuse the other thread so I came back to this one. How are the students coming with their boat project? Any new pics?

Hey, where do I sign up for your class???

Very cooooool 8) 8) 8)

Keep up the great work with the kids!!!

Thanks Bryan, that is a trip down memory lane for me. My dad was a boat builder and I spent a lot of time watching Him and then getting hands-on involved and that may be the reason I have owned 13 boats and enjoy working on them so much. I think one of the hardest boats he ever built was a Double-Ender, as he called them, that he put a small one lunger engine in. The boat as I remember it was beautiful and it sure got the looks. Of course that was back in the 50's and material was a lot cheaper and you could afford to use all the best materials and it didn't clean out your pocket. The price of materials must be outrageous now. Good job to You and the students, keep up the good work!

Back