Suggestions appreciated for electronics upgrade on 2015 Parker 2120 SC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up my "new" 2015 2120 SC and brought it home to begin to putz around on it. I love it! Great boat and great forum!

I'm planning to upgrade the electronics immediately. Here is what is currently on the boat:

Garmin echoMAP 74sv Software Version 3.60
Icom IC-M412 VHF
Furuno Radar Model DRS4W It is wireless with no screen installed - works with my iPad. I plan to keep it. Not sure about adding a viewing screen. I understand it is not compatible with Garmin. It works fine with my iPad
The previous owner removed the AIS unit but left the dedicated antenna

I would like to install a larger Garmin chartplotter/sonar. As you can see in the photo of the helm with a ruler in it, I have almost 12" to work with. I'm thinking: one of these:
Garmin GPSMAP 8610xsv or 8612xsv but I am definitely open to suggestions.
What transducer should I go with? I have a transom mount unit now.

Should I replace the Icom VHF with a Garmin VHF 215 AIS Marine Radio? Or add a separate AIS since I already have an antenna for it?

I'm not stuck on Garmin. I just thought it might be easier since that is what is on the boat now and the dealer doing the installation carries them. I will be using it primarily for trolling in the Great Lakes. Eventually I'll take the boat to the Carolinas but will mainly be inshore fishing with maybe a rare trip out of Okracoke or Hatteras to the Gulf Stream. Maybe not.

Thank you for your assistance!

IMG_1521.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1525.JPGIMG_1519.JPGIMG_1524.JPGIMG_1530.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
That's a good looking boat! Looks like you have a good space to work with. Check out the 1243xsv as another option. I think it's a little more fishing friendly and support some good transducers (and a little cheaper too). Seems like the transducer that's best for you all depends on what depth you plan to fish.

The comparison function on the Garmin website is pretty helpful. It takes a minute to decode what the various models do and don't have.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/marine/chartplotters/
But if you have a local shop that has stuff on hand to check out that's a great place to start. And you might check if your current vhf could be plugged into the nmea system of your chartplotter if you go with one that has a GPS receiver. I don't think the 8612xsv has that but the 1243xsv does

Thank you afitzray - I appreciate your input. The 1243xsv looks like a good option. I suspect you are correct that I should first check with the dealer to see what he has available and start there.

I'll be fishing in less than 200' of water. Trolling for Salmon & Lake Trout in Lake Michigan and shallow water fishing in Lake St. Clair.

Back