Sureshade Installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGSailor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked at these when they first came out as alternative to the bimini top arrangement for my old boat (Farallon 25) but it didn't work out. Moved, bought a 2007 2320 and needed to provide something back there in the Florida sun. The bows and supports on the bimini were a pain to pass the rods around and it was a pain to furl so I decided to look at Sureshade again. Bought their RTX shade and installed it a couple of weeks ago. It's well made but not inexpensive - neither was bimini with the 1" stainless bows. Bottom line: it's a tight fit but seems to work really well, and rolls up out of the way when you don't want it out. Learned a lot during the installation that I'll share with anybody that's interested.20200809_161022.jpg

Nice job. I saw one of those on a cc t-top last summer. Been wanting to add one to my 2520 ever since. They looked like they were well made. If the quality is there the price is easier to accept. Great the way it retracts out of the way when fishing and not dealing with all those Bimini poles.

Thanks for sharing. I too have been talking with SureShade. Seems like a high quality product. My concern is head clearance. The spacers installed on your boat are 2"? SureShade advises they can provide a 3" spacer. However, it's not high enough above the rear deck to avoid hitting your head on it. Have you noticed this to be a problem?
Cheers,
Joe

Thanks for sharing. I too have been talking with SureShade. Seems like a high quality product. My concern is head clearance. The spacers installed on your boat are 2"? SureShade advises they can provide a 3" spacer. However, it's not high enough above the rear deck to avoid hitting your head on it. Have you noticed this to be a problem?
Cheers,
Joe
Yeah, it's an issue. One of the other restraints is that the aft mount needs to be within 7" of the roller that holds the rolled up shade. I've got rod holders that cant aft so the higher I went with the shade the more clearance I needed. I went with 2" spacers as a compromise, put the aft mount pretty close to the edge of the cabin top and I'm right at the limit.

We're not big people (5'8-ish...) and it works for us but I can see where it would be an issue for taller folks. Fished with it a couple times now, really like the shade, the clearance aft and lack of structure on the sides of the boat. But you're right, that can be an issue...we're adjusting!

Attachments

• 20200809_170342.jpg
    20200809_170342.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 99
I think I have found a solution to he head clearance issue and a lot less expensive than the SureShade (which is an amazing product and was my first choice).

Check out:

https://www.bocashade.com/parker2120sc
This shade is retractable and the spacers fasten directly to the grab rails on the roof. I prefer this mounting method as I hate drilling addittional holes in my boat.

The price is significantly less than the SureShade product as well.

Cheers

I think I have found a solution to he head clearance issue and a lot less expensive than the SureShade (which is an amazing product and was my first choice). Check out: https://www.bocashade.com/parker2120sc This shade is retractable and the spacers fasten directly to the grab rails on the roof. I prefer this mounting method as I hate drilling addittional holes in my boat. The price is significantly less than the SureShade product as well. Cheers
I think I have found a solution to he head clearance issue and a lot less expensive than the SureShade (which is an amazing product and was my first choice). Check out: https://www.bocashade.com/parker2120sc This shade is retractable and the spacers fasten directly to the grab rails on the roof. I prefer this mounting method as I hate drilling addittional holes in my boat. The price is significantly less than the SureShade product as well. Cheers

I'm with you...didn't like drilling the holes either. Figured it was either this or making a good stainless bimini frame and top. Looking back on it mounting to the grab rails might have been a better idea.

Not sure what to make of Bocashade. I know Sureshade's been around for over a decade, looked at one for my old boat when they first came out. Despite the feel-good story Bocashade has on their web page it really looks like they tweaked Sureshade's design enough to get their own patent then cloned the company from the product to the process. Price didn't seem all that different at the time but I could be wrong. Just looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure the one I installed is a better-made product. Less sure whether it's worth the difference in price, but I can tell you that the one I installed is definitely a well-made product.

Also found out the couple that started the company in Philly sold it to Lippert Industries last fall. During the COVID closures they moved the operation to Bradenton, FL and they've had some challenges in the relocation.

I'm on my second full season with the Bocashade. I did a lot of research prior to installing. I'm close to Philly and attend the Atlantic City Boat shows. I was able to inspect the Sureshade product on a few boats at the show. I was Not able to see the Bocashade product in person but their staff was very available and helpful via phone. They answered all of my questions and we emailed design ideas back and forth.

My requirements were:
1- Only drill a minimum number of holes in the roof.
2- Shade must be high enough when deployed so nobody has to bend over when standing in the cockpit.
3 - No vertical poles to get in the way of fishing or diving.
4 - Must have access to rocket launchers.

Parker pilot house roofs are much lower than other boats. The Sureshade is definitely a quality product. However, at the time, I could Not get them to work with me on a solution to gain more headroom in the cockpit. Also, at the time, the Sureshade was drastically more expensive than Bocashade.

In working with Bocashade, they were able to modify the grab rail brackets to raise the height of the shade. This satisfied requirements #1 and #2. In fact I did Not have to drill any holes in the roof. Very happy about that.

Both Sureshade and Bocashade satisfy requirements #3 and #4.

Two years after the install and the shade is holding up well.

Having a shade is 100 times better than not having one on a hot day. Enjoy your shade. Both are quality products.

Last edited:
Good to know. I knew we needed the shade and the bimini was the easy answer. Had a lot more unknowns with this installation but with only a couple of trips after installation I'm pretty sure we got it right.

Thanks FlowThru1. Good info.

I too have been unable to get the folks at SureShade to explore ideas to raise the mounting height of their top for head clearance. Very responsive at first until I raised this issue.

It's great to have an alternative as the retractable top seems to be the way to go.

Cheers

It does make it a bit of a challenge...obviously more for the centerline holders. The bimini on my old boat was worse...same challenge getting the rods out and then you had to work your way around the bimini supports while keeping tension on the line (and obviously holding on to the rig). I haven't lost any fish using this one yet, don't want to talk about the other rig. Sometimes you just gotta choose...

Back