Suzuki DF300APXX Drive Shaft Grease Report

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpellet

Reaction score
For those with Suzuki Engines, you’re probably aware of reports of lower units not wanting come off when service time comes. Figured I’d share some data of my experiences now after two season and 391 hours on my 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX. At the end of last year, my first season with the new Suzuki, I removed the lower unit for water pump service and to make sure the lower unit would come off. I had 207 hours on the engine at the time of removal, the lower unit came off fairly easily but I was somewhat dismayed with how dry the drive shaft splines were, assuming the splines would have been well lubed during assembly. Based on how dry those splines were, I am not convinced that lower unit would have come off if I had waited another year to drop it. I replaced the water pump even though it looked like new. When I put the lower unit back on I heavily greased the splines. I did not put a wad of grease on the tip of the shaft but I loaded the splines up with grease.

I completed season two with the new Suzuki this week. The engine now has 391 hours. When I unbolted the lower unit it slid off fairly easily. I was pleased to see that the splines of my drive shaft was still well greased. Again, I replaced the water pump, again the water pump looked like new. I heavily greased the drive shaft and reinstalled it. From what I can see, the technique of heavily greasing the splines each year is effective.

The picture below was taken when the lower unit was removed this week , as you can see, there is quite a bit of grease on the splines after a year and 194 hours of run time since it was last removed.

Attachments

• 94DA10C3-546E-48DE-80EE-00BF44D5582E.jpeg
    94DA10C3-546E-48DE-80EE-00BF44D5582E.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
For those with Suzuki Engines, you’re probably aware of reports of lower units not wanting come off when service time comes. Figured I’d share some data of my experiences now after two season and 391 hours on my 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX. At the end of last year, my first season with the new Suzuki, I removed the lower unit for water pump service and to make sure the lower unit would come off. I had 207 hours on the engine at the time of removal, the lower unit came off fairly easily but I was somewhat dismayed with how dry the drive shaft splines were, assuming the splines would have been well lubed during assembly. Based on how dry those splines were, I am not convinced that lower unit would have come off if I had waited another year to drop it. I replaced the water pump even though it looked like new. When I put the lower unit back on I heavily greased the splines. I did not put a wad of grease on the tip of the shaft but I loaded the splines up with grease.

I completed season two with the new Suzuki this week. The engine now has 391 hours. When I unbolted the lower unit it slid off fairly easily. I was pleased to see that the splines of my drive shaft was still well greased. Again, I replaced the water pump, again the water pump looked like new. I heavily greased the drive shaft and reinstalled it. From what I can see, the technique of heavily greasing the splines each year is effective.

The picture below was taken when the lower unit was removed this week , as you can see, there is quite a bit of grease on the splines after a year and 194 hours of run time since it was last removed.
I missed this back in November; great information!.... I too, would like to know what grease you recommend.

Just purchased a 300ap for my 2520 and love it so far!!! Just hit the 20hr service mark and had it serviced at the dealer who installed.
But going forward I will be doing own maintenance.

For those with Suzuki Engines, you’re probably aware of reports of lower units not wanting come off when service time comes.

Not just Suzuki, But ALL Outboards. :)

The guys use to tell me Water Pump Change...... 2yrs for a Offshore boat...1 1/2yrs for a Inshore boat....due to more sand /sediment.

But I pull new ones down after a year to Make SURE the splines are greased and will not have trouble separating in the future.

I have experiance with one that wouldn't come apart...Belonged to a friend of mine and he bought it used. Never did get it apart....Hung the engine upside down, suspended via the foot. He bought a new DF 250 Suzy.

I had another that wasn't the driveshaft hanging it up....but rather a crooded stud.
4 bolts and a stud with a nut. 25Hp Johnson..... I got it apart without breaking anything...Took 3 days...Of heat...Penetrating fluid Off and On.

I missed this back in November; great information!.... I too, would like to know what grease you recommend.
That post you respond to is a couple of years old. I dropped the lower unit and replaced the water pump again in November 2022. This was the 4th time I removed the lower unit since the engine was hung new in 2019. The engine now has 840 total hours. Thankfully the lower unit slid right down once I loosened all the boats. I don’t use any fancy type of grease, it’s a tub of marine grade grease that I picked up at either West Marine or Defender, I can’t remember where but it wasn’t expensive or exotic. I do use lots of it. I specifically do NOT put the “hershey kiss” sized dab of grease on the tip of the drive shaft sometimes talked about on line. I do put lots of grease on the splines, I like to imagine that excessive grease piles up along the seam formed by the drive shaft sliding into the crank and helps keep water out. As for the tip, I coat the absolute “tip” of the shaft with a film of grease but that’s all. My thought being that excessive grease would get compressed in the crank and with nowhere to go, prevent the drive shaft from fully seating.

All of the above is based on my opinion, personal experience and observed anecdotal evidence only, I’m not trying to present myself as any kind of expert or authority on the subject but so far what I’m doing has worked ok for ME.

I suggest anyone who does it differently or wants to argue, you should do it your way because I’m probably wrong……😄

Last edited:
That post you respond to is a couple of years old. I dropped the lower unit and replaced the water pump again in November 2022. This was the 4th time I removed the lower unit since the engine was hung new in 2019. The engine now has 840 total hours. Thankfully the lower unit slid right down once I loosened all the boats. I don’t use any fancy type of grease, it’s a tub of marine grade grease that I picked up at either West Marine or Defender, I can’t remember where but it wasn’t expensive or exotic. I do use lots of it. I specifically do NOT put the “hershey kiss” sized dab of grease on the tip of the drive shaft sometimes talked about on line. I do put lots of grease on the splines, I like to imagine that excessive greats piles up along the seam formed by the drive shaft sliding into the crank and helps keep water out. As for the tip, I coat the absolute “tip” of the shaft with a film of grease put that’s all. My thought being that excessive grease would get compressed in the crank and with nowhere to go, prevent the drive shaft from fully seating.

All of the above is based on my opinion, personal experience and observed anecdotal evidence only, I’m not trying to present myself as any kind of expert or authority on the subject but so far what I’m doing has worked ok for ME.

I suggest anyone who does it differently or wants to argue, you should do it your way because I’m probably wrong……😄
Thanks for sharing your experience!

My 5th season complete since repowering with a 2019 White Suzuki DF 300 APXX . Total engine hours are now 1109 with 265 engine hours logged this season. Pleased to report that my lower unit slid down with ease after the last nut was removed. Sticking with my practice of heavily greasing the splines before reinstalling the lower unit ( see pic below). Finished covering today. I blew a trailer hub on the tow home, so I’ve got to address that before she swims in the Spring but I’ve got a little time.

Great season and while some mourn the end of the year, I run hard when the boat is in the water and am ready for a break by the time Tautog ends. Good Lord willing, I’ll be anxious to chase the Fluke in the Spring.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year….
IMG_0797.jpegIMG_2576.jpeg

Last edited:
Very funny MPellet !! BTW, I got booted off TheHullTruth, after 21 years, for being “offensive” to Trans people. I’m still lurking there, but man, do I hate Mod 15
I’m sorry to hear about u getting the THT boot. I’ve been to camp a few times myself and yea it’s frustrating how subjective and 1 sided that process is…

Latest posts

Back