Swap out OEM deck lights for LED lights

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got tired of being worried about how much current I was draining from the batteries at night. Fear of getting stranded was just too much, so I decided to swap out all my lights with LED lights. First up were the two big 55 watt battery-draining deck lights. Pics are attached. In this case, I re-used the OEM mounting brackets and just mounted everything from underneath the hard-top. They are now wired and work well (forgot to get that pic). Each light consumes 5 watts. So I went from 110 watts to 10. Quite a savings.

Next up will be the anchor light and the red and green side lights. After that I will go after the small courtesy lights at the forward end of the deck, but since I almost never use them, there isn't as much current to be saved. That project will probably involve removing the lights all together and installing LED multi-light strips under the gunwales.

Attachments

• 00006-s.jpg
    00006-s.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 00007-s.jpg
    00007-s.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 00008-s.jpg
    00008-s.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 00009-s.jpg
    00009-s.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 1,052
Can the lights simply be swapped while using the existing wiring or do led require a modification to the wiring?

pete23se":28oc04qh said:
Can the lights simply be swapped while using the existing wiring or do led require a modification to the wiring?

Yes it is OK to use the same wiring for the LEDs the current is the same, just the draw is less with the LED's

A great upgrade Dave. :wink:

I started several years ago and have replaced all of my lights with LED's, with the exception of the v-berth fluorescents which I rarely use.
I began my conversion to LED back when they were not very common.
For instance, my (under washboard) cockpit lighting utilizes red LED marker lights which first appeared on over-the-road trucks.
Now days, there are purpose built lights for this application.

Many of my remaining incandescent bulbs were simply swapped out for LED equivalents from http://www.superbrightleds.com
The good news is that as LED replacements become more common, finding replacement bulbs and fixtures is getting easier.

You are going to love those new lights, and the peace of mind they bring.

Any night pics of before and after? I'm also looking for LEDs but don't know what to get.. Tom

Hi All
Timely thread...
I have a 2011 2120 with Parker rocket launcher / spreader lights.
Can we switch out the halogen bulbs for LEDs ? If so any sources and part numbers.
Hate to toss perfectly good spreader housings.

I replaced the spreader light (housing and all) with a new LED unit and mounted the old spreader light under the rear bumper of my truck and wired it to my backup light circuit.
Makes it awesome to be able to see behind me at night, and it was practically free. :)

FWIW, pay attention to how your spreader lights are wired up. I don't know if it was factory or afterwards, but the spreader lights on my boat were wired in parallel to the "cockpit courtesy" lamps (the little ones on each side where there is a step down onto the deck). The wiring from those lights back to the circuit panel was NOT heavy enough gauge for the 10 amps of draw those sealed spreader lights pull (16 AWG to 18 AWG at the lights), so I ran two separate 14 AWG runs back to the switch panel with a separate dedicated switch and breaker (using one of the "accessory" toggle switches).

Coastal night light have great spreader lights tho the plastic mold n bracket break very easily so i would retrofit w a stronger Mounting bracket. I'm looking to replace my courtesy deck light w LEDs? Anyone recommend led lights that fit same factory holes?

Back