Taking on a little water

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately my 1999 Parker 21 se has started to take on some water… not a lot so the bilge pump goes on… in fact when the boat is stationary I don’t see the water but when I get back to the dock and take the boat out on a steep hill, remove the drain plug I get about 30 seconds of water coming out.

I have inspected the boat and don’t see any visible cracks.

I changed the Seacock so I know the valve is shutting properly. Is it possible there is a disconnect on the intake to my bait well? Or the water line? I recently replaced the nozzle on the inside of the baitwell and I could hear and feel the line had a lot of movement on the other side of the tank. Is it easy to check this line on our boats?

I noticed one member suggested caulking the black rubber guard as water can apparently enter at that seam.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

If it was your bait tank or other open water source it would most likely be a lot more water. Check the rub rail seam.

Does this happen all the time, or is it when you’ve been taking a good amount of spray or water on deck? If so, check your bilge hatch. Quite often they are pretty far from watertight, and water on deck will run right in. Easy test is to jack the trailer tongue way up so that any existing water flows to the back and drains out the plug, then put the plug back in, spray the deck with water, and see what collects in the bilge.

Also, try draining the boat at the ramp before launching to see if the water is accumulating while the boat is on the trailer. If you’ve got an anchor hatch, that’s a common source of water getting into the bilge.

You won’t see the water while the boat is at rest, since the lowest point in the hull is at the bottom of the hull “vee”. It’ll only be visible in the aft bilge when the boat is on plane, or on an incline.

I see a pretty good gap in the rail rub towards the aft of the boat which might explain why I seem to get more water in rough days. Going to call today. Fingers crossed that’s the fix. I appreciate the advice!

A couple of people have mentioned that… I don’t see any water hitting on my anchor locker when I am running.

It’s an old boat… I do see some rust marks around my trim tabs and also the trailer hook in the bow. Otherwise this is a mystery.

I had a plastic cap come lose on my bait tank pump. it would only leak when i was up on plane and it was pressurized. when the boat was static in the water it did not leak when the pump was running. To find it i had to have a friend drive the boat while i opened the bilge.

thats my 2 cents.

I had a plastic cap come lose on my bait tank pump. it would only leak when i was up on plane and it was pressurized. when the boat was static in the water it did not leak when the pump was running. To find it i had to have a friend drive the boat while i opened the bilge.

thats my 2 cents.
Thanks. Water temperature is now around 57. This check I will do next summer :). How much water would you get

thats my 2 cents.

Was it a two port pump, with the lower port plug missing?

Back