Tank pick up tube removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishaddict

Reaction score
How do you remove and clean pick up tube on 1801 60 gal RDS tank?what do you recommend as thread sealer to put it back together? Any tips on crud cleaning from 2003 vintage tank? Thank you.

I have more tools than an average person have but not craw foot wrenches. Adjustable wrench m be?

Yes a small adjustable wrench will work. It is actually a square nut—not hex. Everything is aluminum so be careful not damage the threads. After you unscrew the nut, pull it straight up. The pickup tube consists of the nut, attached to a long aluminum tube and about 3 inches of plastic tube that bends to the bottom of the tank.

The tank on my Parker has 2 pickups even though it is a single engine. I was hit with the dreaded white powder when ethanol came out. So I rigged up a fuel polishing system using the 2nd pickup as a return fuel line. I bought a 12 volt fuel pump from amazon I think—this was a long time ago. Got an ALUMINUM barbed fitting to go on the 2nd pick up. Rig up the fuel hoses-1st pickup to in port of Racor filter. The Racor outlet goes to the fuel pump in port. The outlet of the pump goes to the 2nd pickup which returns the gas to the tank. I ran the system overnight for many weeks until the pump died—must have been a chinese pump… It worked well enough although I still get a tiny amount of white powder in the Racor.

So to reduce the chance of picking up a lot of powder, I cut of about 1 1/2 inch the plastic tube on the 1st pickup so it does not pick gas from the bottom. This line goes to the engine. I also rigged up the 2nd pick up –which does pick up the bottom of the tank--to use as an emergency if I run low on fuel. I trust my FLO-SCAN meter implicitly.

"The pickup tube consists of the nut, attached to a long aluminum tube"
Would it be more like a bolt with rectangular head and a tank would be a nut?

Back