The 1801... the right fit for me?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindawggy

Reaction score
Newby to the forum folks - any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm looking for some input and any info related to purchasing a used 1801. First off I'll mention a little bit about what I'll be using it for and and where. I'll be Fly fishing out of the boat almost exclusively in the Northeast. Mostly in NYC, with some trips to the North Fork and Montauk when the weather cooperates. I will also be using with with my young daughter and wife... My draw (pun intended) to the 1801 is that I can take it pretty shallow but it will also still allow me to get out and bounce around a bit in the rips. Might add a polling platform to push it around the flats when I'm feeling super strong. My budget is in the 15-20k range. I really don't want a 2 stroke motor. I've had them in the past and much prefer a 4 storke for obvious reasons...

I've Found a super clean mid nineties 1801 with a 4 stoke motor from 2008 with very low hours. They are asking 14k and I feel like that price point is a little high for that year of boat but maybe that newer motor makes up for it? Is there a huge difference form the mid nineties models to the mid 2000 models. Will I have to replace the floor and the gas tank at a certain point? I feel like mid 2000's models with a 4 stroke pop up often in my price range.

So I guess to cap things off. Is the 1801 a good fit for what I want to do around where I am? Should I bother with a mid nineties model or wait around for mid 2000's. I know all this is subject to many different factors but ball park stuff. Are there any red flags I should look out for with this Model???

Thanks in advance friends!

< Will I have to replace the floor and the gas tank at a certain point?>

Yes, but that is to be expected in any boat that lives in salt water. 15-20 years tops, usually more like 10-15. That is, for aluminum tanks.

I have owned an 1801 for five years and love it. The used boats bring a premium price, especially in today's market. Everything is selling for more than it would have a year ago. Good news for sellers, bad news for buyers. Having said that, I don't follow the market enough to make any suggestions at to price.

Briefly, yes, the 1801 will do everything you want.
No, I would not buy a hull that is nearing or past the 20 year mark due to that is the longevity of any marine fuel tank. Keep looking. Any 2005 or newer 1801 is going to be pushing that 20K budget you have. Best wishes.

< Will I have to replace the floor and the gas tank at a certain point?>

Yes, but that is to be expected in any boat that lives in salt water. 15-20 years tops, usually more like 10-15. That is, for aluminum tanks.

I have owned an 1801 for five years and love it. The used boats bring a premium price, especially in today's market. Everything is selling for more than it would have a year ago. Good news for sellers, bad news for buyers. Having said that, I don't follow the market enough to make any suggestions at to price.
Cheers thanks so much!

Briefly, yes, the 1801 will do everything you want.
No, I would not buy a hull that is nearing or past the 20 year mark due to that is the longevity of any marine fuel tank. Keep looking. Any 2005 or newer 1801 is going to be pushing that 20K budget you have. Best wishes.
Yah I figured as much - thanks for taking the time!

Yah I figured as much - thanks for taking the time!

Keep in mind that you can't really have both here. If your budget can expand upward, look for a newer boat. If your budget is fixed, an older boat with a newer outboard is probably the way to go. Remember, the tank doesn't fail due to age, the tank fails due to water ingress. You say you've found a clean, older boat. Pull up the deck pie plates; are they in good shape? Are there any soft spots in the deck? Is there evidence of water intrusion? Does the boat seem to be stern heavy in the water, or have a list? All of these can be signs of possible water intrusion. If things look good, well the tank is good until it's not. It'll be around a $5k job to install a new tank and deck when it's time, but until then, you at least have a boat.

Although i totally understand budgets , if possible put down enough cash to acquire a low payment to afford. I believe this because .... older boats require cost beyond normal maint. Always !! So the average cost of use works out about the same , and piece of mind counts for a lot also

Although i totally understand budgets , if possible put down enough cash to acquire a low payment to afford. I believe this because .... older boats require cost beyond normal maint. Always !! So the average cost of use works out about the same , and piece of mind counts for a lot also
Roger that! I'll do some digging around this winter on options and see. The thing I really like about these older models is the open bow. I don't like the cooler / platform up on the newer models. Thanks for the reply!

Keep in mind that you can't really have both here. If your budget can expand upward, look for a newer boat. If your budget is fixed, an older boat with a newer outboard is probably the way to go. Remember, the tank doesn't fail due to age, the tank fails due to water ingress. You say you've found a clean, older boat. Pull up the deck pie plates; are they in good shape? Are there any soft spots in the deck? Is there evidence of water intrusion? Does the boat seem to be stern heavy in the water, or have a list? All of these can be signs of possible water intrusion. If things look good, well the tank is good until it's not. It'll be around a $5k job to install a new tank and deck when it's time, but until then, you at least have a boat.

Herd - I'm not in the biggest rush. I'm going to wait around for what I get really excited about. If the budget needs to go up I can swing it for the right boat. Thanks again!

Vindawggy,

I have owned a 1990 Parker 1800 Sport (predecessor of the 1801) for 25 years. It has lived its entire 30 year life in the salt, both on a trailer and in a lift. With reasonable care, these well built boats will keep going a for a LONG time. I had mine repowered with a Mercury 115 Four-Stroke and thoroughly gone over in 2018. One of the things I insisted upon was a new gas tank. The inside of my old tank looked like new, but there was some minor corrosion on the outside - it just made sense to replace it at this point. The cockpit sole was as solid as a rock - they reused the plug cut out to gain access to the tank. For your intended use, I don't think you could choose a better boat. Just be careful and inspect the boat very carefully for evidence of water intrusion.

Cap'n Dan

1990 Parker 1800 2018 Mercury 115 Four Stroke
2019 Parker 2520 XLD twin 200 Yamahas

Thanks so much Dan! All this info is super helpful. I'll keep ya'll posted on what I decide to do!

Hello,
I own a 2003 1801 w/ a Yamaha 115HP outboard. It is a 2 owner boat that I purchased this boat 7-8 years ago. When I bought it it had 67 Hrs. on it and now has about 600. I was very lucky this boat was never painted and spent its whole life on a lift or trailer. Whit the money you are willing to spend I think you could find something in the 20(teens) Personally I would shy away from a boat that has spent its life in the water thereby eliminating the greater possibility of water mygation. It would also be nice to know if the previous owner used non alcohol fuel. An owner who keeps maintenance records and receipts is a plus. Not sure if your interested but washdown, livewell, T-top, canvas covering and updated electronics. Electronics is something to play close attention to, a 5 year old sonar that cost $ 5-600 when new is now worth maybe $100. I would be patient hold your money there are always deals out there. Now and this winter is the time to pick up next summers boats. BTW the boat I got was on Craigslist 7 years old with 67 Hrs. t-top w/hardtop and basic electronics. I paid 10K for it and couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough. Good Luck there're out there!!!

Thanks so much for this - Most probably going to wait things out as I'm not in a huge rush. I'm also willing to travel anywhere on the east coast also and not limited to the northeast. I guess i still have time on my side...

I have a 1994 1800... the past owner was meticulous as I am with maintaining the boat. I re powered last year with a Suzuki 90. Rest of the boat is all original. Of course I check everything daily and will be having my mechanic looking over the entire boat before spring launch. Boats life has always been in saltwater. If you stay on top of things you should be fine. Take her out 15 miles and been in some bad weather. She gets me back no problem. I know how to handle a boat. Been boating since I was very young. Some may say I'm crazy, but then again I run into burning buildings for a living so go figure. Best of luck with your search. If you want to look at mine let me know.

I paid 10K for it and couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
Now thats not a deal....thas a steal
Purchased in March 2020, MY 2004 1801 with 115 2stroke was a clean find. Boat house kept and other than the single hole to mount the garmin GPSMap the boat has not been molseted in any way. No speaker holes and such. With only 346 hrs it was exactly what i wanted. At first I thought the price was a little high but after shopping around I was happy to pay the 12k with trailer. I havent seen any thing priced better for the condition and have been offered more after I detailed it.

The guy that repowered/rebuilt my 1990 1800, Gib Chapman at Nansemond Marine in Suffolk, VA used to be a Parker dealer in the days when dealers did all the rigging of new Parker boats. They have been rebuilding older Parkers (and Privateers, and others) for the last few years as a way to stay busy during the off season. They do an awesome job and really bring the boat back to almost new condition, replacing and renewing all systems that need attention as well as repowering with Mercury outboards and sometimes Awlgripping the entire hull. They currently have a 1996 21 CC that is absolutely gorgeous and recently sold a 1700 CC. They will also rebuild your boat to order.

Their website can be found at http://www.nansemondmarine.com/

Check them out!

Cap'n Dan

Last edited:
The guy that repowered/rebuilt my 1990 1800, Gib Chapman at Nansemond Marine in Suffolk, VA used to be a Parker dealer in the days when dealers did all the rigging of new Parker boats. They have been rebuilding older Parkers (and Privateers, and others) for the last few years as a way to stay busy during the off season. They do an awesome job and really bring the boat back to almost new condition, replacing and renewing all systems that need attention as well as repowering with Mercury outboards and sometimes Awlgripping the entire hull. They currently have a 1996 21 CC that is absolutely gorgeous and recently sold a 1700 CC. They will also rebuild your boat to order.

Their website can be found at http://www.nansemondmarine.com/

Check them out!

Cap'n Dan

1990 Parker 1800 2018 Mercury 115 Four Stroke
2019 Parker 2520 XLD twin 200 Yamahas
Gib just did a deck/tank replacement on my 1700. Very happy with how it turned out overall. Price was right as well. I'd recommend them!

Back