The 1801... the right fit for me?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1994 1800... the past owner was meticulous as I am with maintaining the boat. I re powered last year with a Suzuki 90. Rest of the boat is all original. Of course I check everything daily and will be having my mechanic looking over the entire boat before spring launch. Boats life has always been in saltwater. If you stay on top of things you should be fine. Take her out 15 miles and been in some bad weather. She gets me back no problem. I know how to handle a boat. Been boating since I was very young. Some may say I'm crazy, but then again I run into burning buildings for a living so go figure. Best of luck with your search. If you want to look at mine let me know.
Thanks! Yah Id love to see it!

The guy that repowered/rebuilt my 1990 1800, Gib Chapman at Nansemond Marine in Suffolk, VA used to be a Parker dealer in the days when dealers did all the rigging of new Parker boats. They have been rebuilding older Parkers (and Privateers, and others) for the last few years as a way to stay busy during the off season. They do an awesome job and really bring the boat back to almost new condition, replacing and renewing all systems that need attention as well as repowering with Mercury outboards and sometimes Awlgripping the entire hull. They currently have a 1996 21 CC that is absolutely gorgeous and recently sold a 1700 CC. They will also rebuild your boat to order.

Their website can be found at http://www.nansemondmarine.com/

Check them out!

Cap'n Dan

i'm a marine surveyor and have known Gib Chapman for 20 years plus. He's a true Southern gentlemen. If he says it you can believe it. I would not hesitate to buy a boat he has listed.

I had a Parker 1801. Great boat, best riding of all parker boats. If you get one, BE SURE IT HAS A 150 Yammy! DONT GET THE 115.
I had mine in the middle of the sea of Cortez and 100 miles offshore in SoCal. Very seaworthy boat. I sold it.
If you are a fly fisherman, I would strongly suggest that you look at Jones Brothers. Way better than a Parker and they build the boat with the serious fly fishermen in mind.
Everything is flush mount and pop up. They are really impressive boats.
Read this post. The guy from Anglers Edge is 100% correct with what he writes.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/453060-parker-21-se-not.html

[ If you get one, BE SURE IT HAS A 150 Yammy! DONT GET THE 115.]

I disagree. Depends on what you want to do. I've owned my 1801 for five and a half years; it has a 115. Most of the time I fish by myself. The boat jumps up on plane and at WOT runs 37-39 MPH. There is no reason for me to have a bigger engine. If you carry more people then it might be different. As I said, it depends on what you want to do.

I also disagree. If mine had more HP i wouldnt complain but it performs well and efficient with the 115.
40mph when its flat is really as fast as you want to take this hull.
Your only getting that 150 hp at max RPM
I would guess around the 4500-5000 rpm range is where the 150hp motor would be generating a 115hp and above output.
There should be some HP curve charts (with fuel consumption) somewhere for comparison.

I also disagree with Pescadorrr the 115 is a perfect match for the boat with the proper pitch. These almost never a time I want to go faster in the ocean on this boat and there’s no reason to have added weight in the stern. I have two batteries that were on one side that side scuppers were in the water. I moved them to the console and now it’s high and dry.

I also disagree that it’s the best riding Parker not sure how one can argue that this modified v 18ft boat rides better then a 21-23-25ft deep vee

And finally I disagree that the Jones brothers is “way” better. I would give the nod to the Jones brothers i think they are a little better but very similar boats. I don’t fly fish but my Parker 1801 has pop up cleats and bow lights and low profile rails

I disagree. Depends on what you want to do. I've owned my 1801 for five and a half years; it has a 115. Most of the time I fish by myself. The boat jumps up on plane and at WOT runs 37-39 MPH. There is no reason for me to have a bigger engine. If you carry more people then it might be different. As I said, it depends on what you want to do.
I agree, have a 1987 for ten years. Put a new 90 Suzuki on it three years ago. Tops out at 34 with two on board, plenty for what I use it for.

I tend to agree with the larger engine because... I own a 2003 1801 with a T-top hardtop and larger livewell from a SE 2100. This boat came with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. When I'm by myself or one other and bait with water in the livewell no problems getting on plane. With 3 or more adults someone needs to get to the front till it planes out. That's not a problem I've had the boat about 10 years and have gotten used to it. It does not have trim tabs and maybe that would make a difference but there is no substitute for horsepower. I would imagine a 150 is a little heavier and would use a little bit more fuel but like I said I've grown used to this setup. It would be nice to have but this motor runs too good to think about changing it. Btw, mine runs mid 30's I don't push it's fast enough for me.

I tend to agree with the larger engine because... I own a 2003 1801 with a T-top hardtop and larger livewell from a SE 2100. This boat came with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. When I'm by myself or one other and bait with water in the livewell no problems getting on plane. With 3 or more adults someone needs to get to the front till it planes out. That's not a problem I've had the boat about 10 years and have gotten used to it. It does not have trim tabs and maybe that would make a difference but there is no substitute for horsepower. I would imagine a 150 is a little heavier and would use a little bit more fuel but like I said I've grown used to this setup. It would be nice to have but this motor runs too good to think about changing it. Btw, mine runs mid 30's I don't push it's fast enough for me.

Trim tabs would definitely help. No doubt about it.

I think the argument on the 150 vice 115 has a lot to do with the intended usage of the boat... Seems like the guys out west prefer the 150, since they're usually running heavily loaded and going a lot further than us on the east coast normally have the luxury of doing. There aren't going to be many opportunities on this side for a guy in an 18 to go chase down tuna, or need the ability to push around the weight of the gear that's needed for that type of fishing and long-range trips (lots of ice, extra fuel, comparatively HUGE bait tanks, 3+ guys, etc. etc.). For that application, the 150 is the better choice of motor.

For us on the East coast, most 18s are used for inshore and light tackle fishing, where the runs tend to be shorter or in semi-protected waters, and the weight of the gear tends to be lighter. For that use, the 115 is a great, economical motor that will suit the use just fine.

With the wealth of experience and opinions already expressed on this thread, I'm sure the OP can make an informed decision about which motor will best suit his application (y)

I also agree that all you need on the 1800/1801 is the 115. I have owned my 1800 for 25 years and have been all over the southern Chesapeake Bay, near shore ocean waters to about 10 -12 miles off and 40 miles south of the inlet. I never run my boat wide open throttle and it rides and planes great. I did have a Dolfin on my old 2-stroke to help it get on plane quicker, but have not felt the need to do that on my new 4-stroke Mercury 115. As far as the 18 being the "best" riding Parker, I would have to disagree. My piermate has a 2320 SL and I recently acquired a 2520 XLD and both of these boats ratchet up the ride. I am still blown away by how my 2520 rides. All that said, I LOVE my 1800 and cannot even think about parting with it!

Cap'n Dan

Wow...I sure stirred the opinion pot. Let me clarify. On the West Coast we come home with bigger, longer period following seas. With gear, t-top, fuel, cooler full of ice and blue fin tuna, the 115 was a little slow to get out of the hole. This is important in order to surf and dodge between waves. Different ocean out here. For inshore and day runs, 115 is fine. Remember, I went way offshore and to Baja where there are no super markets or gas stations in the middle of the sea of Cortez.

good luck!

I also agree that all you need on the 1800/1801 is the 115. I have owned my 1800 for 25 years and have been all over the southern Chesapeake Bay, near shore ocean waters to about 10 -12 miles off and 40 miles south of the inlet. I never run my boat wide open throttle and it rides and planes great. I did have a Dolfin on my old 2-stroke to help it get on plane quicker, but have not felt the need to do that on my new 4-stroke Mercury 115. As far as the 18 being the "best" riding Parker, I would have to disagree. My piermate has a 2320 SL and I recently acquired a 2520 XLD and both of these boats ratchet up the ride. I am still blown away by how my 2520 rides. All that said, I LOVE my 1800 and cannot even think about parting with it!

Cap'n Dan
I too was pleasantly surprised with how well our 2520 XLD eats up a 'chop', especially surprised with this wide beam. My first time on a Parker 2520 XLD was at the the pre-purchase sea-trial, in Chesapeake Bay, in the winter, at the mouth of the Potomac River off Northern Neck Va. I was not expecting such a smooth ride! You could feel the heft/weight of the boat just busting through the waves.... Bringing it home to North Carolina, on a cold, windy February trip we hit the 'Bad Stuff' in the 14 mile crossing of the Albemarle Sound. (Known along the ICW as one of the worst places on the ICW). A lot of boats stayed holed-up in Coinjock that day; we went ahead and just busted on through it! Most of our running is in the shallow waters of eastern NC. (Pamlico Sound, Pungo River, Alligator River, Pamlico River). These are all shallow, large bodies of water with a lot of 'fetch' from most every direction. We get some 'calm' days, but most days are white-capped, short ('square-wave') choppy, breaking seas... Like most all on this site I've been on countless other boats. The 2520 XLD runs as smooth or better than most I've been on. Yes I have been on a couple boats that seem to do better under certain wave conditions (a couple Fountains, one old Formula), but these are narrow, super-deep-V boats that nearly roll over at the dock when you step on the gunnel, and do even worse when drifting. The 2520 XLD is a good balance between the two evils...

Last edited:
Pelagic2530 summed it up perfectly.
My mentor was an old abalone diver.
He swears by the formula that says you should error in the side of having more power and run em easy. After being in all guys of conditions and bodies of water in my 1801, I can now see his reasoning for this advice. He ran a Radon boat. If you are interested in one of the most sea worthy boats ever made, check em out.

I had a Parker 1801. Great boat, best riding of all parker boats. If you get one, BE SURE IT HAS A 150 Yammy! DONT GET THE 115.
I had mine in the middle of the sea of Cortez and 100 miles offshore in SoCal. Very seaworthy boat. I sold it.
If you are a fly fisherman, I would strongly suggest that you look at Jones Brothers. Way better than a Parker and they build the boat with the serious fly fishermen in mind.
Everything is flush mount and pop up. They are really impressive boats.
Read this post. The guy from Anglers Edge is 100% correct with what he writes.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/453060-parker-21-se-not.html

I was looking at JB boats for over a year. Even chatted with Donny Jones ont he phone at length - down to earth good people. They really are amazing fly fishing boats and for that reason they barely come up for sale. I also just couldn't afford to pay 20K and still have a 20 year old 2 stroke Motor on the back. When my budget allows for it I'll revisit. Cheer man!

Well, I pulled the trigger on one!! Ended locating one online and after checking it out and having it fully inspected I couldn't let her slip away. Its a 2001 with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Compressions all at the 180 mark and got her up tp 5300 RPM and the sea trial with no sweat. The boat has a few bumps and bruises which is expected for a 20 year old boat but I'm looking forward to making her my own. It really is a bare bones boat and just has the things I wanted. No T-Top. Pop up cleats and running light. Deck Lights, 2 new batteries, gunnel fly rod holders, bimini for the wife and kid, Radio, Stereo, VHF and a newer fish finder. Trailer has brakes, but needs a new swivel jack and I'll put a new winch on it cuz why not... Needs a new coat of bottom paint and few small repairs on the front of the chine but nothing crazy. I'll also take the bow rail off and put a couple 12" grab rails like the JB boats have. I'm also going to put on some trim tabs in the spring (Size?). Not including the inspection I ended up paying 14k and I feel pretty good about that?

Seriously, thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts. Anything else I should do and not miss out on I'm all ears. I think I really have the perfect boat for I'm looking to do and cant wait to get out there!!

Vince
2001 1801

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 53
Well, I pulled the trigger on one!! Ended locating one online and after checking it out and having it fully inspected I couldn't let her slip away. Its a 2001 with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Compressions all at the 180 mark and got her up tp 5300 RPM and the sea trial with no sweat. The boat has a few bumps and bruises which is expected for a 20 year old boat but I'm looking forward to making her my own. It really is a bare bones boat and just has the things I wanted. No T-Top. Pop up cleats and running light. Deck Lights, 2 new batteries, gunnel fly rod holders, bimini for the wife and kid, Radio, Stereo, VHF and a newer fish finder. Trailer has brakes, but needs a new swivel jack and I'll put a new winch on it cuz why not... Needs a new coat of bottom paint and few small repairs on the front of the chine but nothing crazy. I'll also take the bow rail off and put a couple 12" grab rails like the JB boats have. I'm also going to put on some trim tabs in the spring (Size?). Not including the inspection I ended up paying 14k and I feel pretty good about that?

Seriously, thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts. Anything else I should do and not miss out on I'm all ears. I think I really have the perfect boat for I'm looking to do and cant wait to get out there!!

Vince
2001 1801
Beautiful boat. Sounds like you got a great deal there. Best of luck and have fun!

Back