The BEST penetrating oil ... that you can make yourself!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
FYI, here's the test results from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force (with a torque wrench) required to loosen rusty test devices. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil ... - ... Average load

None ................ 516 pounds
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds
50:50 ATF-Acetone ... 53 pounds , now THAT is a DIY mix that any of us should be able to make :D !

That's neat information. I use the kroil and always deemed that to be one of the best. Next time I am working on a rusty junk truck I am going to give it a shot.

Great to know. I've got a couple of quarts of each that are just sitting on a shelf. Will definitely give this a try.

That's interesting. You probably don't want to use a torch with it though! Kaboom!

It works great - 50 / 50 Auto Trans Fluid and Acetone mix not only can save a trip to the store but it is the best. I have used it with a little indirect heat, of course be ready. Note - the shelf life is short I'm told, so make small batches in a hardy container - it will blow thru some plastics.

JET

Back