The prop testing begins

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sow&Pigs

Reaction score
Well, the boat is finally wet (pics of all I've done to follow, as soon as I can figure out how to post from a mac) and I settled on a basic aluminim prop to set a baseline.

I'm, running a 225 Optimax and the prop I put on it is a Black Max 15 1/4 X 15 three-blade aluminum.

The weather here in CT has been pretty crappy, so I haven't had the most ideal testing conditiions on LI Sound -- 20 knots of wind, 2-3 foot short chop. But in a few protected, failrly calm areas I've been running in the upper end of my max rpm with wot, maybe even a little over. I should be between 3300-3400 and I'm up closer to 3700-3800. This is with the engine trimmed slightly and no tabs.

Top speed according to the gps was 34mph at wot, of course in the calmer spots I was able to find.

Again in the calm areas I found a comfortable cruise seemed to be about 4800 and about 27-28mph on the gps.

Do these numbers, as vague as they are with my limited testing, seem about right?

Of course, what I really need is a day with reasonable conditions to put her through her paces :D

Sow&Pigs":2ttmv0s6 said:
I should be between 3300-3400 and I'm up closer to 3700-3800. This is with the engine trimmed slightly and no tabs.

Top speed according to the gps was 34mph at wot, of course in the calmer spots I was able to find.

Again in the calm areas I found a comfortable cruise seemed to be about 4800 and about 27-28mph on the gps.

Could you verify those RPM ranges? Might that be a typo?

I'm not familiar with the Opti's specs, but that seems low.
By comparison, my 225 Yamaha OX66 is supposed to run at 5000 to 5500 rpm at WOT.

What year is your Opti?

I look forward to seeing your posts regarding your testing. I assume you mean you are up closer to 5700-5800 and not 3700-3800 at wot. According to the Opti Manual the max operating range is 5000-5750 and that it is best to be in the upper half of that. If that is case you are there. Are you getting an over rev alarm? (I have dts and smart craft and mine beeps when I hit the 5750). Run some more numbers and let us know where you are. The Opti is a powerful 225. I have a 15x17 black max if you are interested in trying.

If it means anything, here are my results with an Opti:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... 14#M986243

Keep in mind that my boat is much different hull than yours. I am lighter, narrower, shallower transom deadrise (10 degrees), but have a deeper V entry. Your Parker, tough 2" shorter, is a much larger boat with a full 12" wider beam.

Also talk with Megabyte. He has a 225ox66 and has been doing some testing himself. I believe he has settled on running a Merc Mirage plus 17" for a while. He may even send it out to be tweeked. The ox66 does have a little lower gear ratio than the Opti though.

Make sure when you are testing that you spend some time fooling with the trim to make sure you have the rpm and speed numbers right.

Prop to look out for in the summer may be the new Merc Enertia prop. It will come in a 16" and hopefully will be out soon. They supposively will be ultra thin yet untra strong alloy. I bet they are $$$ though.

Here are the specs on the Opti. While some minor things like programming, t-stats and fueling updates have changed, I dont think any of the specs have changed in 10 years the engine has been out now:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/229

OptiMax 225
Specifications
HP @ Prop: 225
kW @ Prop: 165
Max RPM (WOT): 5000-5750
Cylinder/Configuration: V-6 (60 degree vee)
Displacement (CID/cc): 185.9/3032
Bore & Stroke (in): 3.63 x 3.00
Bore & Stroke (mm): 92 x 76
Cooling System: Water-cooled w/ thermostat & pressure controlled
Ignition System: PCM 038
Starting: Electric
Gear Ratio: 1.75:1
Gear Shift: F-N-R
Steering: Remote
Alternator Amp: 60 (belt-driven)
Alternator Watt: 756 (belt-driven)
Trim System: Power trim
Exhaust System: Through prop
Lubrication System: Electronic multipoint oil injection
Recommended Oil: Mercury OptiMax/DFI Engine Oil
Fuel Induction System: 2-stage direct fuel injection
Shaft Length (inches): 20/25/30
Shaft Length (mm): 508/635/762
Dry Weight (lbs.): 497
Dry Weight (kg.): 225
Operator Warning System: Overheat, low oil level
SmartCraft: Yes
CARB Star Rating: 2
Warranty: 3
Counter Rotation: Available
Digital Throttle and Shift: Available

Yes, boys, a typo. Sorry. I should be 5300-5400, and as I said I was more like 57-5800

It's a 2001 225 Opti, new in 2003 with 62 hours on it according to the Smart Gauges.

The wind is supposed to build up to 25 this afternoon, then drop overnight to 5-10. I'm planning on heading out early tomorrow when it's calm and getting in some prop testing and fishing. Not necessarily in that order :D

Sow&Pigs":abe6pxx7 said:
I'm planning on heading out early tomorrow when it's calm and getting in some prop testing and fishing. Not necessarily in that order :D

Looking forward to your results (either way). :)

Back