Tilt & Trim Issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Got to the boat yesterday morning at 5:30 and got set up to go striper fishing. Pulled away from dock and started lowering motor (Yamaha 300) and it wouldn't go down. I tried several times comes off trailer height but starboard cylinder wouldn't go down. It wasn't frozen from cold and I didn't hit anything last time out, this is the first time I'm having this issue. I called dealer and asked if there was simple fix to this issue and they told me to lube piston and see if that helps. Also I remember using manual release screw on my prior boat and may try that in case it has somehow got air in system and that is the problem. Any feedback is appreciated, hoped to keep boat in for next couple weeks for striper, but not usable as is. Thanks !

Unless you've exercised the manual release valve recently you may find it hard to open. Use the biggest screwdriver you can fit in it and push in as you turn. They strip out easy. Did you try pushing down while engaging it? Spray some anti-corrosion lube on the valve also.

You may have some corrosion starting around the snubber. To prevent it when you are storing the boat, use the kick stand and run the trim the down until the snubbers are all the way in. The main piston will still be exposed; but, the snubbers will retract all the way. It makes a racket; but, it works.

Put lube on pistons no help. Put stops down on engine and tried going up an down, no good. Turned manual release and port side went down, not starboard. Pushed down on engine while trying to go down, no good. In all attempts starboard side goes in about a half an inch then stops. I'm assuming some kind of internal failure and needs to be replaced, will be covered under warranty. Just stinks that I've been looking forward to striper season and ill be getting pulled out. Lucky to have a friend with a 42 to fish with.

This just happened to me this year. I was at the island with my engine all the way up. I use the emergency release screw and it went right down no problem. It turned out to be low fluid in the pump. Also due to the seals leaking fluid out and water in. It’s fairly common on one as old as mine a 2006. Check your fluid level, its easy. You should probably just have some fluid on hand. Watch a YouTube vid on how to do it.

i had same problem and the lube worked dealer said thrust receivers are bad design and yamaha has new ones coming out

Getting boat pulled on Wednesday for this issue I'll follow up with the fix. Also found that underwater lights aren't working both issues covered under warranty. Will have boat winterized and blocked up for winter I'll finish up striper season on my friends 42.

I heard back from dealer today, they told me they need to retrofit engine with "friction washers" on mount bracket where the tilt & trim pistons contact motor. The parts are the Yamaha fix for the issue and are on backorder and will not be available this year. They told me it is a simple fix with two bolts to attach to engine.

I'm going to get the boat brought home and blocked up for the winter and when the parts come in I'll go get them to make sure they don't go to another boat, then I'll have them do install before I drop in in April or May.

I'm going to get the boat brought home and blocked up for the winter and when the parts come in I'll go get them to make sure they don't go to another boat, then I'll have them do install before I drop in in April or May.
Wow, just reading this. Thank you for posting.
That sounds like it should be a recall? I know Yamaha doesn't do recalls, but is it an issue with all 300s or is it specific to your motor missing something.
Again, thank you for the heads up, either way.

--

From what my dealer told me yesterday, it's a known issue and only on the big motors the 250 & 300. I don't know if it's isolated to the 2021 model year, if not, I'm sure more people would have had this issue and some would have replied to the post. From how it was explained to me, the friction washers are attached to the motor bracket, where the tilt pistons contact it. I don't know if there is an issue with the casting of the bracket and the friction washers fix this, or something else. I had no issue with this all summer, then when going striper fishing the week before Thanksgiving, the motor wouldn't drop down. I'll learn more as I progress through the process and pass it on. It stinks it ruined my striper season.

From what my dealer told me yesterday, it's a known issue and only on the big motors the 250 & 300. I don't know if it's isolated to the 2021 model year, if not, I'm sure more people would have had this issue and some would have replied to the post. From how it was explained to me, the friction washers are attached to the motor bracket, where the tilt pistons contact it. I don't know if there is an issue with the casting of the bracket and the friction washers fix this, or something else. I had no issue with this all summer, then when going striper fishing the week before Thanksgiving, the motor wouldn't drop down. I'll learn more as I progress through the process and pass it on. It stinks it ruined my striper season.
That's pretty bad.
I wonder if you have, by any chance, reached out to the THT readership regarding this particular issue? I know! - in general, that site can be a clown-show! However, there are A LOT of Yamaha 300 owners there and I wonder if this is a warranty repair or a recall type of an issue. Just wondering.

Haven't had it happen on the 2021 model motors. But had two instances on 2020s that I had to remove the motor assembly and clean the filter screen that got contaminated somehow. Its a quick easy fix without actually disassembling much. I haven't looked but the friction washers on all older style (not the brand new models) are on mid section, I call them "wear plates". Not sure if thats the proper term....but if they aren't greased you'll hear the trim sound likes its grinding on the way down. Also had a trim have a stuck shuttle valve that finally popped free. If the friction washers are what I'm thinking, opening the manual release (or thermal valve is what its called)....the friction washers wouldnt be the issue. I can search my ymbs bulletins tmmrw though to see if anything comes up.
If one trim piston operates freely so should the other. Another note is dont ever use a rag for trim components, air only. Also when re assembly is required use Vaseline to hold the shuttle valves in place because that breaks down in the fluid

Last edited:
The parts needed for repair are on national back order and will not be available until sometime after the new year. They tried adding caps on the tilt and trim pistons and that didn’t fix it. They told me new friction washers are the parts from the 350 engines and are supposed to be the fix. The parts are a simple five minute install, remove one nut slide out washer and put in the new part. I hope this is the fix and I don’t have to deal with a problem in the spring when I splash. Photos show parts in question and the caps they tried.

Attachments

• 25253181-D826-45DA-A19A-DE12AF2C0F58.jpeg
    25253181-D826-45DA-A19A-DE12AF2C0F58.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 27C32459-7435-4841-AD3D-4968E00B6CCA.jpeg
    27C32459-7435-4841-AD3D-4968E00B6CCA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 1A0906E7-BECC-4242-8B6F-3E6969FE799B.jpeg
    1A0906E7-BECC-4242-8B6F-3E6969FE799B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • ACBDFA60-308C-46CE-9BD7-672EC34C80DF.jpeg
    ACBDFA60-308C-46CE-9BD7-672EC34C80DF.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
Yes, those are what I call "wear plates". The trim rams has an aggressive contact while trimming up or down, especially underway. I didn't see any bulletins listed about it.....and I can almost bet your filter is slightly clogged. Trim up all the way, place locked position, than Down for a second or two ,too release pressure. Pull the pump off and you should see a fine metal screen. Make sure its oriented right and clean thoroughly with AIR!. If that doesn't work place motor on tilt lock again, release pressure by going down for a second and remove trim cap. Those wear plates shouldn't cause anything but unnecessary noise.

I agree w/ Gsully23, this is a internal problem . What parts are back ordered, because if its the wear plates they are waiting on you will not fix this when they show. If that is what they are waiting on I would get in there face and tell them to get to the bottom of the problem. IF this was my brand new $30k motor and a complete trim unit was available I would demand it be replaced. With out knowing all facts , this sounds like laziness or gross incompetence on the dealers part. Was this a yamaha certified dealer that told you this?

Update to issue, today I received my bill for the winterizing of the boat and motor, which also included the two warranty issues that they were addressing. My underwater lights stopped working and were replaced. Then the tilt and trim issue, which showed the tech's notes to the problem. He was in contact with Yamaha about the issue and the black caps were put on as part of the diagnosis of the issue. When installed he indicated that the tilt and trim worked fine without issue. Yamaha tech support advised him to remove the friction washers and install the ones used on the 350 HP engines and it would resolve the issue. These are the parts on back order. Believe me, I've been very skeptical about what I was told was the issue and felt that the issue was an internal valve or something else in the starboard piston. In speaking with my service advisor today, she told me that the tech who worked on my boat was on the phone with Yamaha several times when working on my boat. I hope this is all behind me and when I splash in the spring of next year all is working as it should. If not, that's when I go ballistic.

Update to issue, today I received my bill for the winterizing of the boat and motor, which also included the two warranty issues that they were addressing. My underwater lights stopped working and were replaced. Then the tilt and trim issue, which showed the tech's notes to the problem. He was in contact with Yamaha about the issue and the black caps were put on as part of the diagnosis of the issue. When installed he indicated that the tilt and trim worked fine without issue. Yamaha tech support advised him to remove the friction washers and install the ones used on the 350 HP engines and it would resolve the issue. These are the parts on back order. Believe me, I've been very skeptical about what I was told was the issue and felt that the issue was an internal valve or something else in the starboard piston. In speaking with my service advisor today, she told me that the tech who worked on my boat was on the phone with Yamaha several times when working on my boat. I hope this is all behind me and when I splash in the spring of next year all is working as it should. If not, that's when I go ballistic.
why *not do a couple test runs in the winter?

Back