Tilt & Trim Issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boat is winterized, covered, and up on blocks next to my house. When the friction washers come in, ill install them and make sure everything is working properly, if not, it goes to the dealer.

A follow up to my tilt & trim issue from last fall. Boat was picked up by dealer today to replace the friction washer and drop me in the water. I was with the tech when he replaced the parts with new ones that were for a 350 not a 300. he applied some grease and the motor went up and down with no issues. I asked if he had seen any other motors with this issue and he said no. He said that Yamaha was aware of issue and knew that changing parts would fix the issue. I kept the rubber caps he had put on in case I ever had this issue again for a quick fix to be able to use the boat. He told me to put a dab of grease on the pistons to avoid wear.

That's not the proper fix, but if its working for you for now that's good. I'm not a mercury guy, I hate them with a passion.....but they do put roller balls at the top of the trim cylinder pistons, which is nice, until one freezes and you get a flat spot. The actual trim unit yamaha uses is very sensitive to any debri and could have been fixed properly by the right tech. The shuttle valves are very sensitive and there are many small pieces. Vaseline can be used during assembly because it breaks down evenly in the fluid. A different wear plate isn't the proper fix, its a band aid to buy time. Although I do believe the 69j unit is used on both engines unless im mistaken so I dont see how it would have fixed the issue. Maybe they are covering their tracks and taking the loss on a missed diagnosis......? Who knows.

I did a cross reference, your (wear plates) are not the same as the 300. The 350s are different. It might of eliminated your problem for now, but I would request the proper parts being installed. Especially while under warranty. It could cause more damage to your rams (which are exspensive and back ordered as well) just something fishy about the tech saying he's never seen it and I can't find a ymsb bulletin about such a thing. Like I said its usaully slight contaminated and could be an easy fix. No dealer should push you out the door, even though its a busy time of year (and has been for the past 2).

Last edited:
Back