Time to Change the Engine Oil ...... Oil Guys

Classic Parker

Help Support Classic Parker:

GoodChance

Reaction score
mobil-1-product-guide-rev-31.pdf

Many people like to run an oil with high Zinc and Phosphorus (anti-friction/anti-wear properties). Since 1994, with EPA mandates and evolution of catalytic converters, Zinc and Phosphorus levels in oil have dropped significantly

Attached above is a good summary of Mobil 1 oils and contents of each product. Mobil 1 15-50w seems to be a great oil and available at most locations for $25 for 5 quart-jug.

For reference, Rotella 15w-40 (a diesel oil but one that also meets outboard engine requirements) also has high amounts of Zn and Ph at 1200 and 1100ppm respectfully. And available for about $10-15/gallon.

This season, I'm going to run Mobil 1 15w-50 in one engine and Rotella in the other to see if there is any difference in oil consumption, wear, carbon accumulation, or WOT. It will be an unscientific look-see but will be interesting. I typically put 200 hours on an engine each year so lets see what the F225's look like in August.

Last edited:

warthog5

Reaction score
Amsoil Marine....... What do you get in a specific "Marine oil" The anticorrosion package.....VERY Important!

GoodChance

Reaction score
That's only $65 to change the oil vs Mobil 1 at $25. Mobil has a lot of skin in the game. Amsoil does too ..... but not nearly the volumes as Mobil.

Anti-corrosion? Isn't that what all oil does? I've never heard of an engine failing due to internal corrosion.

warthog5

Reaction score
Anti-corrosion? Isn't that what all oil does? I've never heard of an engine failing due to internal corrosion.
Nope...The anticorrosion is a added package......Noted by the the code FC-W

Watch the Vid.....and learn [specifically that corrosion shot]

While Mobil 1 is a good synthetic oil.....It is NOT , nor do they make a oil designed for Marine environment.

Amsoil does make Marine oil....They make it in 3 different weights.

The 25w40 is a Synthetic Blend......Synthetic Blend means a thimble of synthetic in a Qt of dino oil qualifies as a Synthetic Blend. The 25w40 is called for in Merc's. But I want you to note the OEM Suzuki oil...It's a Synthetic BLEND.
Yamaha oil is Dino oil.

Last edited:

K/A

Reaction score
I use amsoil in my caterpillar I like it less emissions faster start up

1721SE

Reaction score
Nope...The anticorrosion is a added package......Noted by the the code FC-W

Watch the Vid.....and learn [specifically that corrosion shot]

While Mobil 1 is a good synthetic oil.....It is NOT , nor do they make a oil designed for Marine environment.

Amsoil does make Marine oil....They make it in 3 different weights.

The 25w40 is a Synthetic Blend......Synthetic Blend means a thimble of synthetic in a Qt of dino oil qualifies as a Synthetic Blend. The 25w40 is called for in Merc's. But I want you to note the OEM Suzuki oil...It's a Synthetic BLEND.
Yamaha oil is Dino oil.
All modern motor oils contain anti corrosion additives. FC-W means the oils are approved for use by the NMMA.
Oils that do not carry the FC-W (Four stroke cycle, water-cooled) still have additive packages to prevent corrosion among other things.
I have had very good results using Rotella T6 5w40. A stout, heavy duty, synthetic oil.

warthog5

Reaction score
Just made a Amsoil order today :)

Rotella T6 5w40. A stout, heavy duty, synthetic oil.
But NOT a oil designed for Marine use.

API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

GoodChance

Reaction score
If it makes you feel good spending extra $$ on "marine oil" then that's exactly what you should do.

The truth of the matter, is that you will never see any difference in wear/tear on your F300 engine using Walmart-brand oil vs Amsoil as long as you change it every 100 hours.

Engine don't wear out because of oil choice.

Latest posts