To Cab Or Not To Cab

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealPS

Reaction score
Our 17’ center console is dearly loved and so much fun; however, with toddlers quickly growing ...so too is our seasons of use on the Chesapeake (ie - no longer is dad boating solo without a fight). This is a great problem!
Seeking guidance in the following: 1) stick with the cc and invest in proper clothing or step up to something like the 21’ sport cabin? 2) If stepping up, we’d be buying used so any pointers in the used sport cabin dept would also be appreciated. With two kids in mind... 3) would anyone have experience weighing between the sport cabin and the walk around? Lastly, if we did get the sport cabin, I’d plan to add a second helm. 4) Is a second helm silly on the 21’ sport cabin?
Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You would LOVE the 2120 for your application: it is an amazingly family friendly platform. My three children love our pilot house: they are 4,6,7 years old. TONS of space for books, toys, blankets, pillows. You will notice their entertainment factor goes up 6 fold w/ the pilothouse.
Used 2120 are not hard to find. The 2320 are near impossible to find used.
I never liked the walk around : they just look goofy to me personally. You would have to walk on both to see what you liked.
Second station is awesome: Keeps you from the in and out and in out of the cabin. Not cheap, but super convenient.

Best wishes. Your kiddo's will love the cabin ( wifey too).

Our 17’ center console is dearly loved and so much fun; however, with toddlers quickly growing ...so too is our seasons of use on the Chesapeake (ie - no longer is dad boating solo without a fight). This is a great problem!
Seeking guidance in the following: 1) stick with the cc and invest in proper clothing or step up to something like the 21’ sport cabin? 2) If stepping up, we’d be buying used so any pointers in the used sport cabin dept would also be appreciated. With two kids in mind... 3) would anyone have experience weighing between the sport cabin and the walk around? Lastly, if we did get the sport cabin, I’d plan to add a second helm. 4) Is a second helm silly on the 21’ sport cabin?
My vote is for the Sport Cabin; I think you and your family would love it; I know the kids would! And you'd be able to comfortably boat year-round on much of the Chesapeake, on the 'good days'! I'd also recommend the second control station. When we got our Parker Pilothouse, the second-station was a priority, but I was not sure if I wanted the one mounted to the back of the pilothouse, or the one farther back in the cockpit. We ended up with the one farther back, and I'm very happy with it. I use it every time I take the boat out, and most of the time I'm running the boat myself. Docking and un-docking, and handling lines, is easier when you're running the boat from the cockpit. And it goes without saying, it's easier to handle rods and reels from the cockpit...

Last edited:
You would LOVE the 2120 for your application: it is an amazingly family friendly platform. My three children love our pilot house: they are 4,6,7 years old. TONS of space for books, toys, blankets, pillows. You will notice their entertainment factor goes up 6 fold w/ the pilothouse.
Used 2120 are not hard to find. The 2320 are near impossible to find used.
I never liked the walk around : they just look goofy to me personally. You would have to walk on both to see what you liked.
Second station is awesome: Keeps you from the in and out and in out of the cabin. Not cheap, but super convenient.

Best wishes. Your kiddo's will love the cabin ( wifey too).
Thank you very much!

My vote is for the Sport Cabin; I think you and your family would love it; I know the kids would! And you'd be able to comfortably boat year-round on much of the Chesapeake, on the 'good days'! I'd also recommend the second control station. When we got our Parker Pilothouse, the second-station was a priority, but I was not sure if I wanted the one mounted to the back of the pilothouse, or the one farther back in the cockpit. We ended up with the one farther back, and I'm very happy with it. I use it every time I take the boat out, and most of the time I'm running the boat myself. Docking and un-docking, and handling lines, is easier when you're running the boat from the cockpit. And it goes without saying, it's easier to handlerods and reels from the cockpit...
Awesome advice! Thanks for bonus question answered too... on that, stern mounting, as opposed to back of cabin, seems like it might be more in the way and perhaps less favorable for 360 vision. I’ve seen both and prefer the look of stern mounted but for control and safety purposes, would you say one outweighs the other? I might be over analyzing... 2’-3’ difference might not matter either way.
Much appreciated!

Awesome advice! Thanks for bonus question answered too... on that, stern mounting, as opposed to back of cabin, seems like it might be more in the way and perhaps less favorable for 360 vision. I’ve seen both and prefer the look of stern mounted but for control and safety purposes, would you say one outweighs the other? I might be over analyzing... 2’-3’ difference might not matter either way.
Much appreciated!
Hi Neal, The difference from where you might be using either station could be more like 6" to a foot. Most of the time when I'm steering/running the boat from the cockpit-control-station, (does anyone know what the 'official' name for that thing is?! ☺), I'm standing to the side of it, slightly forward of the station. Ends up I'm standing in the almost the exact same spot I'd be standing if I was using a pilot-house mounted station. From that position I can see all the way through and out around all the pilothouse windows, and even with these 'old eyes' I can see all the data on the Garmin 1040XS that's mounted inside..... With that said, I don't run the boat from the cockpit-control-station when I'm on plane/ running fast. But I always use it when I'm trolling; and most of my fishing is trolling for Spanish Macs. (I'm still learning the 'other-stuff'!) And, I always use the cockpit-control-station when docking and 'un-docking' the boat, and when we have 'the gang' out for a slow evening cruise...

Hi Neal, The difference from where you might be using either station could be more like 6" to a foot. Most of the time when I'm steering/running the boat from the cockpit-control-station, (does anyone know what the 'official' name for that thing is?! ☺), I'm standing to the side of it, slightly forward of the station. Ends up I'm standing in the almost the exact same spot I'd be standing if I was using a pilot-house mounted station. From that position I can see all the way through and out around all the pilothouse windows, and even with these 'old eyes' I can see all the data on the Garmin 1040XS that's mounted inside..... With that said, I don't run the boat from the cockpit-control-station when I'm on plane/ running fast. But I always use it when I'm trolling; and most of my fishing is trolling for Spanish Macs. (I'm still learning the 'other-stuff'!) And, I always use the cockpit-control-station when docking and 'un-docking' the boat, and when we have 'the gang' out for a slow evening cruise...
10 4! Thank you

I never experienced a CC but the wind break, sun block and short seasons I could not see any other boat to get. Mine are growing 13 and 15 and we still grab a pizza and anchor in a cove and enjoy some time. My kids love to grab the blankets and hang out up front. The ergonomics on the boat are way better than the Steiger and the carpet makes it feel more finished out. The second station is a must if you drift fish on Long Island. I only use it for slow speed but I did it the first season I bought it. If kids are not happy you will drag them out and they will hate boating. When weather goes south you will laugh at the CC guys and your kids and wife will appreciate that toilet if needed. My 2 cents

I have a 2320 and love the cabin, opens up so many more options. Just be aware of the change of position requires a different style of driving or you suffer from a slam ride. I used to fish a CC here in SoCal, come Nov/Dec I didn't want go out on the water, now I overnight in Jan/feb for seabass and lobsters.

I have a 2320 and love the cabin, opens up so many more options. Just be aware of the change of position requires a different style of driving or you suffer from a slam ride. I used to fish a CC here in SoCal, come Nov/Dec I didn't want go out on the water, now I overnight in Jan/feb for seabass and lobsters.
I feel ya on the position change... like driving in France 🤣 Q- Do you use a heater?

Good question, I have not had the need to use a heater. Jacket, gloves, watch cap. I've found sleeping in the cab is generally a 1 person deal (I'm big), but we rotate in 2 hour shifts, with 2 people up on deck fishing while the 3rd sleeps. Sometimes we will use bean bag chairs and a sleeping back and sleep/fish on the deck.

Note: my car has a heated steering wheel, I do wish I had that on the boat as I don't like driving with gloves.

Posting up for a night of lobster hooping.

pic2.jpg

This picture is Feb 4, 2018, sea bass fishing.Pic1.jpg

I'll be honest, this is So.Calif, we turn our heaters on in our cars when it gets below 60. I only go when it's forecast to not forecasted to have wind in the winter.

1. We stuck with a CC for a few years with proper clothing. Yes the clothing kept us dry, but it is no substitute for a cabin, especially since we always take our twins. That said the fuel economy and ride of a CC is much nicer than the Pilothouse.
2. Buying used, get a survey and make sure the surveyor is registered and insured.
3. We had a 28' Boston Whaler walkaround and now we have the Parker 2320. The Walkaround had much nicer amenities, but it does not keep you out of the elements like the pilothouse. 100% would give up the amenities to be out of the weather.
4. Second helm is not silly if you are the only captain. In our family, both husband and wife drive equally, so the second helm is not necessary. If you do not have a second driver, the second helm would be a must.
On another note, prior to purchasing the 2320, we used the 2120 and it is a great boat!
You can check out how we use the 2320 for our family of four:

GrayLight Fishing - YouTube

Good luck with your search.

1. We stuck with a CC for a few years with proper clothing. Yes the clothing kept us dry, but it is no substitute for a cabin, especially since we always take our twins. That said the fuel economy and ride of a CC is much nicer than the Pilothouse.
2. Buying used, get a survey and make sure the surveyor is registered and insured.
3. We had a 28' Boston Whaler walkaround and now we have the Parker 2320. The Walkaround had much nicer amenities, but it does not keep you out of the elements like the pilothouse. 100% would give up the amenities to be out of the weather.
4. Second helm is not silly if you are the only captain. In our family, both husband and wife drive equally, so the second helm is not necessary. If you do not have a second driver, the second helm would be a must.
On another note, prior to purchasing the 2320, we used the 2120 and it is a great boat!
You can check out how we use the 2320 for our family of four:

GrayLight Fishing - YouTube

Good luck with your search.
Looks like you are getting your moneys worth out of your new 2320. Great videos.

Back