Towing 2520 MV

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckbutler

Reaction score
I had to buy a trailer after having the Parker for 10 years. A change in boat storage rules... So now I have nice big 5 Star 2 axle trailer. Am thinking about trailering from the Magothy River, MD to Del. Indian river for the Summer vaca. ~150 miles. I guess it is so wide I need some type of special permit... I have a Toyota Sequoia rated to 6000 lbs, I believe. My trailer dealer said it should be fine but it sure feels big back there on a 10 mi. trip I took to my mechanic. Any input would be afppreciated. My fall back is to do a charter trip and tow my 16 mod v and throttle back by fishing. Thanks.

I tow my 2510 with a F150 5.4 and it knows it is back there and it doesn't like it. I personally think that Sequoia will not like towing it that far and at the cost you paid for that vehicle I wouldn't do it. I think short trips might be ok. I would get permits towing long distance. My trips are about 20 miles and I don't get permits, I have not been stopped yet.

If you keep a safe distance ahead of you to allow braking in all instances you might be OK. The boat with good trailer brakes will be OK but you need to maintain the brakes. Your truck is too light.

Your engine and suspension may not like it but you can tow. The big thing as I said is make sure you can stop for unexpected things ahead.

I have a 2530 with a 7400 lb 5 Starr trailer. I've used F-250 and F-350's for about 8 years. The bigger the truck the more weight there is and the larger the brakes. My trucks have been rated 9000-12000 lb over the years.

Lighter trucks can do it if you ease out on starts, go easy on hills and keep the speed down. I'm about 9,000 lb+ with the boat, trailer, fuel, water and gear.

There are a lot of old discussions pro and con about towing a wide load within and through states.

Dana

In general I don't think you will run into a problem if you don't get a permit....... I don't have one...... on the other hand the letter of the law says you do.

Towing is another story. You will find many who will tow with what you have...... but you are over your limit.... stopping is the issue.

Richard

Your Parker probably weighs about 6,000 lbs wet, and then add 2K for the trailer. You may be able to tow the 2520...for a while...but the tranny will take a beating. If you get into an accident and are towing over-max and/or without permits, you might come out on the short end of the stick. Your insurance MAY cover, but if you injure someone else, the law suit will ensure that you can't afford your Parker any more.

Best bet is to cover your law-suit-magnet hinney.

I've owned and towed boats all of my adult life, and I can safely say I wouldn't tow a Parker 2520MV 150 miles with a Toyota Sequoia, unless of course I was using your vehicle for the tow. Yes, the vehicle will do it, but the consequences may well be severe.
IMHO, that's way to much weight for reasonable stopping distance, and your tranny with start overheating bigtime after the first big hill you climb while under load.
But if it were me, I'd weigh the rig first and see exactly what the vehicle will be up against before making my final decision. Don't forget that the trailer weight is part of the final package, along with the vehicles gas, any equipment and luggage, plus the people riding in the tow vehicle.

My 25se pictured below in my signature was purchased used way up in Massachussets. That picture was taken just before I loaded on a trailer for the ride home. I live in NJ and had to tow it home. I did so with an E-150 econoline van with a 4.2 V6. Good idea? No, but I had no choice. The boat and trailer combo had to weigh 7000 lbs. I took a heck of a chance and also just took it easy. Would I tow it that far again. No, not 5 or six hours without having a heavier vehicle and perhaps permits. I am a professional truck driver, so the size and distance thing didn't intimidate me. The point I'm trying to make is, it's more "how you drive" than "what you drive." I now still take local short hops of 15 miles or so her around NJ with the same vehicle. The van is a '99 and has just about a 100,00 miles on it.
If your forced into a situation similar to mine, just take adequate time to make damn sure all the equipment and tires especially are properly inflated. Also make sure the boat is properly positioned on the trailer properly for minimum "tongue weight". Take your time and allow plenty of room to stop and pull over every 30 minutes or so to check things out and let things cool down a bit. Other than that, it can be done. But not as a habit. Good Luck!

Attachments

• BBccParker.JPG
    BBccParker.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,827
Dont do it...

It is probably not going to be your driving that causes a problem. What will happen is somebody will pull out in front of you, or they are going to hit their brakes suddenly and you will be in for the schock of your life when you cannot stop that boat in time. It will be an absolute mess.

Do it smart! 8)

Back