Towing Help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker541

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been creeping on this site for awhile but figured I’d start here with a few questions, let me know if it should be somewhere else. I’m looking at either the 2320 or 2520 when i get back from working overseas. I live in NE Florida and want to be able to travel south, gulf and hopefully up north.I am an avid diver and spearo. What are some of the vehicles you are towing with? I’m looking into a duramax 2500 or equivalent. Also does anyone have a tank setup they would like to share? Thanks gents and ladies.

I am Ford guy and have towed with ease a 2320 with an F150 (3.73 gearing). I have also towed a 2520 and 2801 with the same F150. You will definitely know the 2520 is back there and would only tow the 2801 on flat roads.

I now tow with a F250 PSD and it will tow all of them like there is nothing back there. I think a Duramax 2500 would as well.

Good Luck

Good luck. Have used gas F-250's, one diesel F-350 for years on a 2530 including an 1,100 mile tow. A 2320 you could go down in truck size. Half ton on a 2320 can work.

Half ton on a 2520 avoid steep hills, mountains, and have great brakes on the trailer. AVOID driving in rain if possible or best you can anticipate stops. Plan out entering highways as you will be stepping on the gas pedal. Half ton can easily get pushed by the boat and trailer, not a good feeling.

I towed my Parker 2520 with a 1996 GMC 2500 Suburban 7.4/454 FWD for 12 years. Truck pulled the boat fine but you absolutely knew it was back there stopping. Those old GMC 2500s had crappy brakes, drums in the rear and not big enough discs in the front. All my towing was in terrain with hills but no mountains and I was always very careful. I upgraded to a 2018 Ford F350 gasser. Night and day difference from the old Suburban, pulls great, stops great, absolutely nothing not to like about the way the F350 hauls and stops the boat. I don’t wanna push my luck with trailer bearings and tires so I try not to speed but that truck will tow that boat at 80 mph like nothing while feeling totally stable.

I ran offshore shipwreck diving for 12 years with my boat. At times hauling as many as 8 sets of steel doubles, typically steel 120s. I have mahogany planks bolted inside the top of the gunnels with small stainless steel hoops screwed into the planks that are spaced the width of a set of doubles. I use rubber bungee straps, hooks on the straps go through the loops and hold the tanks in place up against the gunnels. I can fit 3 sets of doubles on each side of the boat and when I have needed to haul 8 sets, I double stack tanks on the furthest forward set of rings. I have done hundreds of dives from the boat, some as far as 50 miles offshore. My tank storage system, while simple and inexpensive to create has worked flawlessl, typically in less then calm conditions and occasionally in somewhat rough condition. My tank system is designed to hold banded and manifolded doubles with boots and works ok with rebreathers. It could be used with single tanks with boots but would need more loops to strap in single tanks.

I’d offer pictures but the boat is wrapped till March, if you still want pics, remind me then and I’ll get you some.

Last edited:
When I was buying my truck, I managed to justify getting the Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins (that I wanted anyway) by telling myself that I needed it to tow the 2530 the mile or so back and forth from the ramp a couple times a year. First time we did it, got the trailer backed down the ramp, loaded up the boat, climbed back into the truck; 1st gear, 4 low, started going... and the truck was confused. It didn't even know it was hooked up to anything. Pulls that boat like it's nothing, so I guess there goes that excuse for having the truck.

You'll be just fine with any 2500-series truck, bonus points for the diesel.

I tow my 2310 with a 2006 2WD 1/2 ton silverado with 4.8L V8 motor and 4.10 gears and LT tires. Trailer has electric brakes that are like magic. I towed the boat from central california to SD no problems. Is it ideal? Not really, but it works! Fast foward 10 years and any 1/2 ton will do. My brother has a brand new 1/2 ton Ford, no problem.

The biggest difference between the two boats you're considering, besides the weight, is the beam. 8.5' for the 2320 and 9.5' for the 2520. You will most likely need a permit for the 2520. Not everyone gets one. Here in SC it's only $100 a year. The problem is the restrictions. Numbered roads only and not on Sundays or holidays. A 1500 or 150 will tow a 2520 with a tow package. I upgraded to a 2500 6.0 gasser with a tow package after a tourist stopped at a yellow light. I also have electric over hydraulic brakes on both trailer axles.

I live in NE Florida. I have a Parker 2320. I can tow this anywhere at the drop of the hat. I have a 2015 GMC 2500 HD duramax 4wd. I was tossed up b/n the 2320 and the 2520. My deciding factor is the beam: My 2320 I can hook up and just go, effortless to tow.
The 2520 technically would need a permit to move, the beam makes it more boat to tow than I wanted to deal with:
Like you, my intention is to fish up and down the eastern seaboard, so easy and legal towing were a large part of my decision.
You could tow this 2320 w/ a 1/2 ton. The duramax tows her at 1600 rpm's 60mph getting 13 mpg. Easy load for this truck.
My 2320 lives on a boat lift, on the water in my backyard. Most times, I just press a button to lower the lift. But I also live 27 miles from the inlet ( Mayport), so either run the river, OR if I want to conserve fuel, I trailer the boat to the inlet, launch her, fish all day, then retriever her and tow home.... wouldn't be that easy w/ the 2520.

Good advice in the replies notably on how newer 1/2 tons are capable enough. I have a 2005 Dodge 1500 with 5.7 hemi. It tows and stops fine. However I do know the boat is back there when I take off from a red light. More noticeable is reduced fuel mileage. I don't pass gas stations when on the high way towing. The truck gets 16.5 around town, 20-21 on the highway when not towing. When under tow, it drops to 11mpg on the highway. I don't tow it long distance often, mostly 8 miles to the ramp and 8 miles back. If you are going to tow long distance often, like every weekend, you may want a diesel. Downside of a new one is the extra cost due to unneeded pollution systems and the expensive repairs they can generate when those systems fail. Not sure how often you have to add blue fluid/def. In hindsight, I wish I'd not sold my 96 Dodge 2500 with 12v Cummins.

Being a long term boat towing person, having towed different boats and campers as far as cross country, I would suggest that you determine ultimate weight of rig with trailer. determine the vehicle required to tow the weight and then add to it for safety and comfort. A vehicle that is marginal will be a white knuckle ride. With that said, a 3/4 ton with four wheel drive would be mote than adequate. Add diesel and you will be golden. My heavier boat is a Ranger Tug 27 and weighs 10,400 pounds (all in), trailer and boat loaded. I have gone through the Rockies and back and used cruise control to stay at 65 MPH because I would sometimes forget the boat was behind me!

One more thing to add. On the trailer with full fuel and water tanks, the boat and trailer weight in just over 10,000 pounds. If you are able to drain both the combo will loose right around 1400 pounds.

The biggest difference between the two boats you're considering, besides the weight, is the beam. 8.5' for the 2320 and 9.5' for the 2520. You will most likely need a permit for the 2520. Not everyone gets one. Here in SC it's only $100 a year. The problem is the restrictions. Numbered roads only and not on Sundays or holidays. A 1500 or 150 will tow a 2520 with a tow package. I upgraded to a 2500 6.0 gasser with a tow package after a tourist stopped at a yellow light. I also have electric over hydraulic brakes on both trailer axles.
I did not know this and will definitely look into those laws/ refs. Appreciate the heads up.

Y’all have done exceptionally well in helping me make my decision and i will be taking it all in. Appreciate it.
Anyone got scuba setups to show off or some input on what works? Guessing just line the sides and maybe a 6 pack up in the cabin. 2320 is probably going to be my pick and would enjoy running some charters with it eventually.
Thanks.

Hello All,

I have been creeping on this site for awhile but figured I’d start here with a few questions, let me know if it should be somewhere else. I’m looking at either the 2320 or 2520 when i get back from working overseas. I live in NE Florida and want to be able to travel south, gulf and hopefully up north.I am an avid diver and spearo. What are some of the vehicles you are towing with? I’m looking into a duramax 2500 or equivalent. Also does anyone have a tank setup they would like to share? Thanks gents and ladies.
Adding 2-cents on towing. I have a Ford F150 Crew Cab 5.0 4X4. The 2520 XLD is kept on a lift in my front yard, so I only tow it when pulling it out for hurricanes; and then I only tow it about 3 miles to a friends farm. My first concern was thinking I'd have trouble pulling the boat out of the water because of the steep ramps we have (and from watching all the Youtube-boat-ramp-disasters!). The truck does not know the boat is there; it comes out of the water effortlessly; same when pulling it; the truck does not know the boat is there. With that said, if I were needing to trailer the boat longer distance on a regular basis, I would prefer an F250.
[Side Note; in 1978-1982 I regularly towed our heavy 22' cuddy-cabin fishing boat 70+ miles round trip most every weekend and well over 300 miles on numerous occasions, and all I had was a 1978 Chevy 1/2 ton, 6-cylinder with a 3-on-the-tree tranny. It pulled the boat 'ok', but I had to plan my stops far in advance! I was dumb, and lucky, when I was in my 20's]

I tow a 2801 w/GMC 2500HD duramax deisel. 6400# dry with twin 250s, 300 gal. fuel capacity. With full tanks, it puts me over the 10K #. The vehicle has no issues. Also, I tow this boat from Palm Beach County down to the Keys often and have never had an issue with the 9'6" beam. It's never and issue.

Parker 541, I started with a 2320 SLD in 2004 and now have a 2520 XLD with a bracket and twin Yamaha 150's. There is a huge difference in stability with the extra foot of beam on the 2520. Since this is a big investment I would seek out a ride on each boat to determine what would work best for you. We are primarily divers and carry as many as 15 tanks during our multi day trips. We tow with a RAM 2500 two wheel drive. Good luck with your search. Cheers, Kadman 15 tanks R2.jpg

Y’all have done exceptionally well in helping me make my decision and i will be taking it all in. Appreciate it.
Anyone got scuba setups to show off or some input on what works? Guessing just line the sides and maybe a 6 pack up in the cabin. 2320 is probably going to be my pick and would enjoy running some charters with it eventually.
Thanks.

With the size of the cockpit on the 2320, you might consider getting a custom 2-sided bench fabricated and install it in the center of the cockpit, with additional tank racks either forward of the bench or along the forward edge of the gunwales. Leave the spaces under the gunwales for spearguns and bulk gear, and keep the weight of the tanks centerline and as far forward as you can. Probably want to keep tanks out of the cabin if you can help it, I'd save that for personal gear/cameras/other fragile stuff.

Make sure you post pictures of whatever you decide to do!

My dad used to tow his 25 Parker with a 1500 and now tows a 28ft diesel boat with a 1500. I wouldn’t hesitate to tow a 25 Parker with a 1500 with a trailer that’s set up rite. Would you be better off with a 2500? Yes of course

Oh and pulling it out of ramps in 4 low you barely know the 28 is back there just above idle walks out no issue. Regular gears are a different story it gets up to about 3500rpm and sounds like it’s struggling so if your doing it with a 1500 4x4 trucks are better so you have the 4low option

When I bought my 2320, the trailer had no brakes and that was a hairy experience towing with a F150 with Ecoboost 3.5. Once I installed disc brakes on both axles on the trailer, it became a very good setup. I would not be uncomfortable at all with towing a heavier boat such as a 2520 with the F150. Since I tow my boat about 2000 miles annually with the longest trip being 100 miles, and I do not like the difference in everyday ride between a half ton and 3/4 or 1 ton truck, I will keep towing with a 1/2 ton truck as long as possible..

i tow my 2501 with a chevy silverado 1500 custom trail boss. no problems at the ramp. or local.

on the highway, the biggest issue was getting the drop hitch right so the tongue weight was good for highway speed and no sway.

obviously, a bigger truck will tow better / easier, but i looked around some before i got this chevy and it seems that pretty much all the trucks in this size (150s, 1500s etc) in 4WD rated to 10,000lbs + were good and could get the job done safely.

Latest posts

Back