Trailer advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyWagonNJ

Reaction score
I recently was given a venture trailer. Never trailered my boat in the past. It needs a little work but I was wondering if it would be sufficient to tow my 2018 2320slCFD2C695-C574-40A0-9364-DD2A259B6864.jpeg

Attachments

• B88089D7-6DA6-4232-B397-256E4034AAC7.jpeg
    B88089D7-6DA6-4232-B397-256E4034AAC7.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
I can't quite makes out all the type on the capacity plate but it appears to be two 3500 pound axles with 14 inch tires.

See the recent thread on this topic: 2015 Parker 2310DV trailer weight rating

Conclusion of that thread was a robust trailer for a 23 needs >3500 pound axles.

It will carry the load of a 2320. The Max GVCC is 10346. The 2320 should weigh in the 6 to 7K range.
GVWR = 12,760 this is the max of trailer and load
Max GVCC = 10346 This is the max load you can carry on the trailer.
12,760-10,346 = 2,414 This is the empty weight of the trailer.
Your good to go.

Take note that the capacities are given in both kg and pounds. Max GVCC = 10346 pounds? How can you get that with 14 inch tires at 50 psi?

Post a picture of a hub and tire.

Nice gift 👍
It looks like there have been some of the usual part replacements. While the boat is off the trailer I would tend to a few areas. You may know all this but these are some of the things that I had to learn on my own.

Trailers are essentially consumables and from the rust stains it looks like some parts should be replaced. Bunks, slicks and hardware should probably go. You are going to have to fit them to your hull anyway which will be impossible if they are seized.

Leaf springs and bushings should be assessed and maybe cleaned.

On cleaning, brush and scrub all the loose rust off, replace parts as you see fit, give it a good wash and then galvi paint all rust stains and any new hardware threads and nuts. Fastening wears off some of the galvi.

Last, I would add a dedicated ground wire from each light up to the hitch. Don’t skimp on the wire and add waterproof connectors to all ends.

That Hub being a 5 lug makes it a 3500lb axle. A 6 lug hub will start @ 5200lb axle.

You have Posi Lube spindles....[Don't call them Bearing Buddies!] Posi Lube are Sooooo much better.

The pix with the tire numbers....Shows the load rating, but not the size.

Weight capacity is fine. As others have said maintenance is in order. If you are going to do any real towing I would check out the date of the tires and service the bearings, seals and races. To check the tire date there is a DOT code: The first two numbers of this grouping indicate the week of the year your tire was manufactured. The final two digits indicate the year that your tire was manufactured. For example, if your final four DOT numbers are 3020, your tire was manufactured in the 30th week of 2020. I have done a considerable amount of towing over the years. Trailer tires do not last long. I always replaced them every three years. If you are replacing them go with Goodyear Endurance and no other.

Two 3500 pound axles do not make a GVWR = 12,760 pound trailer. Something is not right. Were the axles changed? Was it originally a triple axle trailer?

Two 3500 pound axles will not give you enough capacity for a 23 Parker.

The sticker lists weights in Kilograms and Pounds. The 12,760 is KILOGRAMS which is 5800 Pounds. As baker says, sticker shows 4700 Pounds for boat fully loaded out.

4700 lbs = 2131.884 kilograms.

5800 lbs = 2630.836 kilograms.

10361.73 lbs = 4700 kilograms.

You really want 6 lug hubs / axles to achieve the required rating for a boat of that size.

Last edited:
Confusion due to labeling on the trailer plate. The parentheses as read across each rating category are very confusing.
But 1kg = 2.2 lb.
Follow that math and see the larger numerical ratings are in lb and the lesser are the kg. That’s consistent for all values.
Some of the above inputs seem to be getting the conversions backwards.
That said, per axle loading of 3,500kg, or 7,700 lbs seems implausible based on norms.
The question of the label values remains due to the axle loading anomaly.
Time to contact the trailer manuf (or equal).

That said, per axle loading of 3,500kg, or 7,700 lbs seems implausible based on norms.

Hmmmmmm? Those 5 lug axles are 3500 Pound axles X 2 = 7000 MAX!

Max = boat weight + trailer weight combined....
Hauling capability = 7000 -trailer weight = what it can haul Maxed OUT.....which is not a good thing to MAX one out.

Don't know what you'll be using as a ''tow vehicle''.

Would suggest the tow limit also be consulted.

It's actually pretty neat to be given a boat trailer. Now comes the rest of the story.
Good luck & certainly give the wheel bearings an inspection & maybe a good cleaning & repacking by hand for complete measures. Consider a marine grease.

I have a Venture trailer that might even be the same year. Mine was pretty well neglected and I ended up replacing the crossbeams and axles, but it was still way cheaper than most of the used trailers around me.

Venture is still in business and was very helpful when I was sorting out what replacement axles, beams, and other hardware to order. Seems to still be owned and run by the family that started the business from what I could gather. Your trailer VIN number will be very helpful for them to figure out what axles etc belong with that trailer to get the weight rating listed. Mine was completely sun faded and unreadable so I had to rely on a lot of measurements.

Back