Trailer Light Gremlins

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Hauled the boat out today. Haven't used the trailer in months. Sure enough, lights on the trailer aren't working properly.

No turn lights on left side/ partial lights on right.

Partial braking lights on left/ partial on right

No running lights on left/ partial on right.

Lights are led's and some bulbs light up, others don't.

Where do I start?

Good ground?
I notice when i hook up and test the lights they are sometimes dim, after making a couple of turns and getting dirt/rust off all works well.

critters chewing on the wires???

just a couple of ideas.

spray the contacts especially since you said you havent used it in a while. wd 40 will work or dielectric grease.

I second the ground too. On most trailers that need lights, I have run a separate ground wire instead of relying on the trailer as ground.

If it were the ground, wouldn't that cause ALL of the bulbs in the led NOT to light? Why are some of them lighting and some not. Of course, the same ones that are lit when running lights on are the same ones that are NOT lit when running lights are off.

I hate electrical stuff.....

OK. Will go check the grounds wires.

TOL

What I generally do in a case like yours is after a 12 volt drop test to the light assembly to make sure I am getting 12 volts to the light (not a bad connection to) is take my outside power source to the problem. Eliminate every thing form the truck connection back to the light. Test the light fixture first. Use your 12 volt battery "Jump Box" and test each light individually, this way you have a known good 12 volt power and ground source. Most LED lights have connectors. Unplug and jumper wire (wires with alligator clips on ends) to each connector or probe wire with a pin and cover with silicone. LED lights will either work or not this way. If only half the light works, replace, the board must be bad inside. After checking all lights, replacing as needed, then re-check and visually inspect harness forward to trailer connector.
Reminder, all lights are either connector type or have a short harness coming from them since they are water tight. They may have been connected to the trailer harness with crimp style butt connectors not of the heat shrink type or worse "scotch locks" and have corrosion in them form the salt in your area. If so cut out and use the heat shrink type butt connectors and shrink wrap when complete.

Portable Battery jump box http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7373

PM if you need more help.

Bryan 2530":ae1ly1zo said:
On most trailers that need light, I have run a separate ground wire instead or relying on the trailer as ground.

Very true.
Most lighting gremlins are caused by a bad ground and running a separate ground wire to each light generally solves the problem.

Megabyte":25t31zxh said:
Bryan 2530":25t31zxh said:
On most trailers that need light, I have run a separate ground wire instead or relying on the trailer as ground.

Very true.
Most lighting gremlins are caused by a bad ground and running a separate ground wire to each light generally solves the problem.

What Kevin said...each light gets a separate ground wire all the way to the front of the trailer, where the connection is made in a location that doesn't get dunked in saltwater all the time.

Dave

take it to Discount Marine (the place on 66th and 62 AV N). Any trailer issues I have ever had they will come out test it and tell you exactly what is wrong..........and then of course sell you everything you need to fix it. lol

OK. You guys were right. Kinda.

The ground wire at the coming out near the tongue, was shredded. There were only a few strands holding it on. Not sure what happened there. Probably a critter. But, after repairing that, the lights were still not working correctly so,

I removed the lens covers from the light and discovered that the interior connections, wires, EVERYTHING, were corroded and rusted. What the???
I've only dunked this trailer maybe 4 times since I've owned it.

I thought the housings were sealed! Guess not.

Replaced with new LED lights and ran separate grounds for each light. Works perfectly.

Thanks for all the tips. I hate trailering....

Trailers are the weakest link in boating enjoyment. I hate boat trailers. I have had boats my whole life and have needed to trailer them. I pride myself on preventive boat maintenance. Since the beginning I have had only one instance of boat failure (bad seal on a cheap Tempo fuel/water separator) but countless examples of trailer problems. They are designed by people that only care about the product lasting through the warranty period. After that all bets are off. When you are broken down because of a bad bearing/tire/spindle/whatever it just makes you want to pump a few rounds into the thing.

I carry complete rebuild kits for both braked and non braked wheels with me when I am trailering. I stop and help other boaters that have lost wheel bearings on the side of the road. I carry extra wire, spare bulbs, liquid electrical tape, grease, emery cloth and lots of other extra parts and tools too. Most people don't carry squat. I never know when a wheel is going to get a wild hair and start flopping around back there. Yeah, I check my temps constantly, rinse them w/ salt-away after every dunking, replaced with Kodiaks, repack every year, etc. It just makes me cranky.

Tires are a constant nightmare to keep in good shape. They don't make a single brand of trailer tire that compares to the reliability of regular car and truck tires. Tried 'em all. There's a reason that the interstate is littered with truck trailer tire treads - the tires STINK!

And why do some of the bolts, nuts and other hardware get a case of terminal rust and the one next to it is pristine? They all got the galvanizing treatment, what's the deal? Salt water is death to trailer components, a slow agonizing death. Trailers for salt water boats are like brake pads and engine hoses - consumables.

My next trailer is going to cost me a fortune but is going to be built to last. I first have to milk the last mile out of the POS I currently own! :roll:

Back