Trailer side Bunks, Pros/Cons

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realtor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of ditching the PVC trailer guides for the side bunk configuration (like in this Picture)
What's your take on these IRT ease of loading? Pros Vs. Cons?

From time to time the wind will catch the boat and I can see in my "Minds eye" the PVC failing and the Galvanized metal gouging into the fiberglass... Know what I mean?

Thoughts please.. (not my boat, image from the internet)

Inked21_Parker_002-scaled.jpg

Very useful if there is a lot of current at the ramp you use.... Like Galvaz. [Jim knows where thats at.] PITA when washing the boat.

Had that exact scenario happen to me last fall. Luckily, no major damage to my 23SE, but the PVC pipe broke and the metal then destroyed the Parker decal but there was no gelcoat damage. I'm with Warthog5 on the washing (and waxing) issue. Overall, not sure the tradeoff would be worth it unless you regularly have the wind problem.

If you have raised Parker logos, I think this may be hard on them as the boat sits down on the trailer. Never seen one up close though.

I had this odd issue where the orange tips on the Load Rite guides would mar my hull under the rub rail on the bow (and it was TOUGH AS HELL to remove the orange marks). I really had to back it in that deep.
Pieces of electrical conduit exactly fit over the factory PVC, and added the height I needed to keep the guides on the rub rail. Plus it probably doubled the strength of the PVC assembly due to the larger radius. The factory PVC is still inside the electrical conduit. You will need a longer stainless bolt if you go this route.
FWIW, the conduit is rated for above ground (UV protected) and 2 1/2" I.d. Electrical conduit has different dimensions than plumbing PVC.

Attachments

• 16846701813159032767024524591072.jpg
    16846701813159032767024524591072.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have guide bunks that have an adjuster bolt so they can be moved out further or completely for washing etc.

Attachments

• 9512B8F8-C63B-49FC-A18B-62BB15ABA6ED.jpeg
    9512B8F8-C63B-49FC-A18B-62BB15ABA6ED.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I had the PVC pole guides on my new trailer and I ended up taking them off after the first year with them. I probably would have done it sooner but I just didn’t get to it. When you are crabbing in on approach they almost do more harm than good after the bow bounces off one and messes up centering on the front bunks coming in. I drive up until I hit the large bow stop I added and the ass will always line up coming up if you get the first several feet of the bow where it needs to be. I’ve been doing it for a long time so that helps. Positioning the trailer just right to begin with is key. JMO.
I did have the side guide bunks on an old Henry O trailer I had. I actually my have liked them better come to think of it. They sit lower and miss the flare of the bow up high and help with that part. Function wise in a cross current, probably better than the poles.

Other than removing them to wax I see no down side. I fished on a buddys 2520dv and he had the side bunks , it was a no brainer loading the boat in all conditions.

I could pretty much bring my boat in sideways and the sidebunks would fix it. They are extremely helpful when competing with cross wind and/or current.

Have a picture of that?
Here’s a picture. NOT MY BOAT, but I’ve been considering side bunks because I often load my 2520 alone. Pacific Trailers in California makes the parts in galvanized at reasonable prices.

Problem is I have an aluminum trailer and need to adapt the galvanized to the “I-beam” aluminum. . Does anyone have pictures of an aluminum trailer with side bunks.
C33DE7AE-C27B-4380-AE01-47EE6171C106.jpeg

Attachments

• 76D6829E-D201-4D6D-B544-CDEFDC0B44FE.jpeg
    76D6829E-D201-4D6D-B544-CDEFDC0B44FE.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
Here’s a picture. NOT MY BOAT, but I’ve been considering side bunks because I often load my 2520 alone. Pacific Trailers in California makes the parts in galvanized at reasonable prices.

Problem is I have an aluminum trailer and need to adapt the galvanized to the “I-beam” aluminum. . Does anyone have pictures of an aluminum trailer with side bunks.
View attachment 36980
I like that idea, This is how I get in and out here at home..

Attachments

• 20230529_105751.jpg
    20230529_105751.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Think the PVC pole are more so you can line up the boat to trailer. They do keep you in the bunks. But bend if your using them to get your self in. I like them for the fact. I know as long as I'm lined up with them I'm good.

My Pacific Trailer bunk ladder is attached to the trailer with U bolts. They could easily be adapted, to an aluminum trailer. In the photo above the brackets appear to be welded to the trailer. Mine is a two part system, therefore the bunks can easily be removed with the brackets remaining.
I will try to get a photo posted.

Back