tranducers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rplas48

Reaction score
I have a Navman 4380 that opperates at 200hz and uses an oblong shapped transom mount transducer. There is a large gap between the transom and transducer that collects weeds. Has anyone experimented with filling the gap with epoxy or something else to help smooth the water flow and prevent weed pickup? Navman also advises not to use any bottom paint on the transducer face. On other machines I always used transducer paint with good results. Any opinions out there?

I also want to install a digital depth finder that will work when the Navman is on. Does anybody know of a digital( round gauge ) depth finder that has a frequency other than 200hz???My old Apelco did but they are long gone and Raymarine looks like they only use 200hz as do others I looked at.

Thanks in advance

Ray

rplas48":2724rvu0 said:
Has anyone experimented with filling the gap with epoxy or something else to help smooth the water flow and prevent weed pickup?
Ray: Never had that problem, but try this. Cheap method ... get a piece of plastic 1/16" thick, 3-4 or so inches wide by X long. Cut a "V" to match the front end of the xducer housing, sand/prep the hull and glue to the bottom of the hull in front of the xducer, with the V right next to the housing. If it falls off or doesn't work ... you've haven't lost anything but some paint. Thin aluminum would likely work too and hold its shape better if it needed to be angled down to deflect weeds.

Navman also advises not to use any bottom paint on the transducer face. On other machines I always used transducer paint with good results. Any opinions out there?
What "paint"? I have used that special paint made for transducers on my brands (but never a Navman) with never any issues. I would not use standard anti-fouling paint due to the heavy metals in it, which I'm assuming either scatter or absorb the reflected energy.

Does anybody know of a digital( round gauge ) depth finder that has a frequency other than 200hz???
FWIW I put one of these $81 Humminbird 200 kHz digital depth units in my front bilge using the thru-hull puck transducer and both it and my Furuno dual frequency unit (50 and 200 kHz) run fine, even when both set to 200. Usually they read within 6" or so of each other, depending on hull angle and speed.

HDR610_humminbird_daves.jpg

See here.

Thanks Dale
I will use the tranducer paint also....worked in the past.

I have the 2120sc and don't have access to the cabin floor. Hesitant to cut an access hole. I guess I'll also go with the hummingbird but wire it through a switch and use it when crusing and then switch to the navman. I hope to be able to shoot through the hull and get accurate readings at the higher speeds. The Navman would be erratic at cruise. I think that was caused by that space between the tranducer and hull and weeds. Thanks for your input.

Hope someone out there knows of a sounder that opperates at other than 200khz

Ray

rplas48":2q0mpy3b said:
I hope to be able to shoot through the hull and get accurate readings at the higher speeds.
Forget the H'bird unit I posted then ... It is NOT powerful enough :shock: to shoot thru the very thick glass of my '92 Parker hull anywhere accessible via the stern cockpit hatch.

If your Navman uses a P79 type transducer, I have one, but it has Furuno cable end on the machine side, otherwise you could have it for $0.

Dale, thanks for your offer. do you have a picture of that transducer as I went to the Furuno web site and couldn't find a P79. Does it have a "flat" that buts up against the transom with speed and temt ability.

Ray

I have a Uniden digital sounder from '99. I added a switch last year.

It is epoxied in my rear bilge.

No issue. I have an old Apelco sounder, 120 KHz, and a new Navman sounder, 50/200 KHz.

Here's a photo in the bilge.

All digitals are 200 KHz. To get a sounder not at 50/200 now, you have to go very top end. Airmar lists all the transducers and frequencies.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02359 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02359 (Medium).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,291
rplas48":zmi4v5z5 said:
Do you have a picture of that transducer as I went to the Furuno web site and couldn't find a P79?.
Traveling on business, will post photo when I get home.

Dale and Dana thanks for the information. I finally found a source for digital depth finders that will work . Faria makes them at 235khz. They told me they designed them especially to work side by side with the 200khz machines. Ebay has some really cheap although I don't know if you can shoot through the hull with a transom mount. If not I'll go with the puck....hate paying twice as much...oh well. Dale thanks for your offer but looks like I don't need it.
Take care

Ray

dcunniff":1b0h6mf1 said:
I have a Uniden digital sounder from '99. I added a switch last year.

It is epoxied in my rear bilge.

No issue. I have an old Apelco sounder, 120 KHz, and a new Navman sounder, 50/200 KHz.

Here's a photo in the bilge.

All digitals are 200 KHz. To get a sounder not at 50/200 now, you have to go very top end. Airmar lists all the transducers and frequencies.

Dana

Dana, is that pink stuff non-toxic anti-freeze in your bilge? Does it stain? I was thinking of pouring some in my bilge, but I was worried about it staining the bilge pink.

On another note, I still think it’s weird that Parker doesn’t glass in a backing block for the seacock. From most of the pics I’ve seen so far, it’s not even bolted down. :shock:

Dom

Dom, that was a photo from this spring while I was doing the spring prep.

A year ago last fall it got winterized in some October thunderous rains and the dealer did it quick. I had some winterizing solution spilled as the photo shows. It went away, staining isn't a problem.

Here's one from later this summer, different angle though, but you see a slight, lighter stain in one spot and it faded more during the summer.

Attachments

• DSC02399 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02399 (Medium).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,081
Dom, hit the submit button too fast.

Here is a photo of front bilge and once or twice I personally put some pink antifreeze in it in past winters. I don't do it anymore, but as you can see there is no stain, and this is a photo from this summer.

Don't know what to say about the through hulls. This photo shows part of the through hull on the left below the larger white line to the holding tank. It is the water inlet for the marine head.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02394 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02394 (Medium).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,080
Back