Transom crack?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Bro

Reaction score
I got a call from my buddy on Martha's Vineyard who is doing some maintenance to my trailer and adding a new VHF to my 1801 and he sent along two disturbing shots of the top of my transom.

The boat is a 2003 and has been mine for the last 4 years. Before I got her, she lived on a mooring for summers on Nantucket. The previous owner added Bennett tabs, but assured me that he had sealed the screw holes with 5200 when he mounted the tabs.

Since I have had her, she has lived on a trailer and under a carport on MV. I get to use the boat for around 2-3 weeks a year when I travel to my wife's family home on the island, overlooking middle ground.

I am hoping that someone can take a look at the photos and offer some insight of what has happened and what can be done to repair the problem. Is this just a cosmetic issue, or is it indicative of rotten wood in the transom that will require major surgery?

Thanks for your assistance!

Best regards,

Todd

Attachments

• Transom crack.jpg
    Transom crack.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,743
  • transom crack 2.jpg
    transom crack 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,746
Best case would be cosmetic. I’ve written about it before, but gelcoat is so much harder than the underlying layup, that when the layup flexes – the gelcoat cracks. Due to the construction of that open stern, I could see where the layup moves some with the trust of the motor. However, someone may have also severely torqued on the transom, by standing on the OB vent plate to hoist themselves aboard sometime. And trailering the rig with the motor in the wrong position or not secured properly (like a support to the trailer frame or that My Wedge gizmo that was just in a recent post).

I’d bet $$ it was due to the combination of ‘too hard’ a gelcoat mix when shot and from trailering stresses. I doubt it is structural, but you should have a dealer check it out. And it should be thoroughly checked out and repaired properly – don’t Mickey Mouse it. And do Not go to … errr, that vendor someone referenced.

To me, it would take a zillion years for water, if impregnated into the core from the tabs, to ever wick up from the bottom of the hull to cause a crack like that at the top … meaning, you’d see flex and notice a soft transom LONG before that ever happened. As is, if/when saltwater does get into a boat, it’ll take 20-30-years or more to cause a problem.

Stress cracks in gelcat ‘per se’ are not that big deal of an issue, and sadly – are more prevalent due to changes in the base gelcoat from the gelcoat makers who source it to boat and RV companies, as well as elsewhere.

OK, my small lunch break is over ...

My next door "slip" neighbor has the exact same crack, exact same spot, though his is a year 1991, model 2520. He doesn't seem to concerned with it, I guess due to the age of the boat. If yours was my boat, I'd get that fixed ASAP and hope it's not leading to something structural down the line.

I had a crack like that with my Grady White and went to an expert to check it. I was thinking he was going to take a meter and check for water content in the wood or do some other "cool thing". Instead he took the handle of a screw driver and tapped on the transom. He showed me on a bad transom how the sound would deaden if there was water damage. Luckily I had no water issues and therefore we just fixed the cosmetic issues. Not sure if you have the same but I would at least try the screw driver test.

Good luck.

Had the same cracks a transom of my 1990 2520 PH..MV. I sealed them up with Marine silicon sealant and the next season had a glass man open them up some and check for moisture but he said there was no problem so he filled them and glassed over. Never had any more problems......

I've had matching cracks on either side of my 1999 2100.

In both cases, I used a dremel tool to open them up a little, drizzled as much penetrating epoxy into them as I could and topped off with white marine-tex once the epoxy has dried.

I hope it is just the gelcoat like Dale suggests, I even vaguely remember speaking with someone from Parker about this when I first got my boat and it didn't raise any alarms.

Definitely do something to seal up the crack and prevent any water from getting in there..

-- Tom

Wish you were closer, I have a moisture meter and we could remove all doubt.

I have seen this problem on Boston Whaler transoms. Moisture gets in and freezes. It expands and cracks the area where the inner and outer hull meet. However, the Parker is not put together that way and I really don't see that being your problem.
Did it occured on both sides of the outboard? Given the location of the mounting bolts, I can't imagine flexing causing the problem. I tend to agree with Dale (and others) that the problem is just the difference in hardness between the gelcoat and fiberglass resin. Add a little motor vibration and some torque, maybe a little freeze thaw and you get a crack.

You do want to keep water out of there. Strongly suggest you get it sealed up asap. Grind it out, add some cut strands of fg and resin, top off with a little gelcoat and you should be good to go.

when i purchased my 2120,the surveyor i used recomended that "named" repair shop-been having my boat taken care of there ever since.i developed a few cracks in the hard top- i asked that named person to look at it.the top was rotted in these areas,due to improper sealing from the factory-it was replaced under warranty by parker.that named repair person told me this was common,he had seen a few suffering from the same thing.parker,they agreed,stated they've replaced a few hard tops for this very reason.
i bring this up,due to me getting a short "education" in fiberglass from "jawz".with my very limited knowledge and experience,i can tell you that's not a gel coat crack as suggested by someone(dale),that's a crack,big crack.looks like the fiberglass is broken down to the inside.
it was explained to me,freshwater rots,saltwater preserves,and any water is bad in a wood core.i make the suggestion you find a good fiberglass shop,and have them go over the boat and repair it accordingly.
if you're in the new jersey area,the person to go to has been mentioned.

I would agree, that crack looks a little deeper than cosmetic to me but it is hard to tell from pictures. Definitely raises a concern.

Jimmy is a little rough around the edges, but he knows his stuff.

All ... please keep the matters of one boat with a crack in the glass away from JMS. He and his ilk are not welcome here.

I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments about how to proceed with my transom repair.

I have to throw a huge thank you out to the Parker Boats people for the response I received when I sent the same pics to them. Even though I was honest that I was the second owner and the boat is outside the 5 year warranty on hull problems, they offered to pay for the materials needed to make the repair, as well as sending along the repair protocols for the glass guys on Martha's Vineyard to follow when they fix the boat.

Ed Denton stepped up for the company, and I will remember this when it is time for me to buy a bigger boat in a few years. I think the Parker 23 DVCC will be a great next step for my fish crazy kids. In this age, where responsibility and service have been diminished by economic reversals, I really applaud a great American company like Parker for standing behind a 7 year old, sceond owner boat. My thanks to Robin Parker and her great family and staff for this response.

I will likely fill the crack with marine tex when I am back there in mid May to fish for stripers, to keep water out until I can get it professionally repaired in July.

I am really happy to be a Parker owner!

T-Bro

T-Bro":wnqg946e said:
I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments about how to proceed with my transom repair.

I have to throw a huge thank you out to the Parker Boats people for the response I received when I sent the same pics to them. Even though I was honest that I was the second owner and the boat is outside the 5 year warranty on hull problems, they offered to pay for the materials needed to make the repair, as well as sending along the repair protocols for the glass guys on Martha's Vineyard to follow when they fix the boat.

Ed Denton stepped up for the company, and I will remember this when it is time for me to buy a bigger boat in a few years. I think the Parker 23 DVCC will be a great next step for my fish crazy kids. In this age, where responsibility and service have been diminished by economic reversals, I really applaud a great American company like Parker for standing behind a 7 year old, sceond owner boat. My thanks to Robin Parker and her great family and staff for this response.

I will likely fill the crack with marine tex when I am back there in mid May to fish for stripers, to keep water out until I can get it professionally repaired in July.

I am really happy to be a Parker owner!

T-Bro

Outstanding!!!

And that my friends is Quality. Not just in boats but in service. It's pretty hard to find these days. Nice work Parker!

Can someone explain the post above? I've been around here a few years but obviously missed JMS. I expect that kind of post with a site that has more users - not from this tight nit Parker group.

For the record, JMS was a rabble-rouser, who's opinion rated higher than yours, even if you were a recognized expert in your field, whether it be by degree, authorships, or perr review. A Parker owner from Mass had an issue in boat in an area WITH NO WOOD in it ... and JMS went off on a tangent saying "Parker boats are bad. See? I told you - they're all going to sink!" and more yada yada worthless diatribes.

Even worse, when cautioned by me since I not only saw the boat in person myself and had THE best f'glass guy in the Northeast weigh in on as 'no big deal' ... JMS obtained my personal info and harrassed me with phonecalls, at the work place mind you, and threatened me with bodily harm. Any reference to that son of a beyatch is verbotten. Capice?

Now that this is resolved, this thread is LOCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back