Transom Damage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you witnessed the lack of attitude of new young workers today in ALL trades?
I have and it’s a disaster. Most workers are lazy and want to take the short way out which makes problems for everyone else. Some have no solutions. You should see electricians and roofers these days.

What’s the depth of the void? From inner skin to outer skin? That could be 1.5” to 2”? I would be concerned with the dead load and dynamic load path eccentricity, especially with load cycling over the lifespan of the boat, not to mention a thermal cycle on a non homogenous assemble could accelerate deterioration.

You officially went right over my head with the technicality of your post:)
I had a marine engineer review the void and we are proceeding with his recommended repair method and lamination schedule.
He stated that "it will be stronger than when it came from the factory".

Does the transom have a metal (aluminum) set of brackets or struts that tie the transom to the stringers? Outboard brackets put a lot of load onto the transom and typically the transom is reinforced. This may reduce the requirement of the fixed area.

Does the transom have a metal (aluminum) set of brackets or struts that tie the transom to the stringers? Outboard brackets put a lot of load onto the transom and typically the transom is reinforced. This may reduce the requirement of the fixed area.

No. The transom is quite thick on the 23DV. I think this is more just a case of a factory void that caused some minor cracking.

rseate, you have been a class act during this process, much respect for you because it has to be disappointing. On the good side, I am sure it is fixed correctly now and will probably outlive us all. Appreciate you sharing the fix also, the education available on this site is tremendous

Thank you for your kind words!
I spoke to another 2300DV owner who had this problem 6 years ago. He used the same marine engineer that I'm using and his repair method was the same and his boat is performing great so I'm hopeful.

I think you be in good shape. That infill hopefully bonded well and maybe even dovetailed into the void. FYI, The brackets need to be torqued down evenly so when they load up, they will distribute the load over the entire transom. The brackets wants to be a 100% extension of the boat. Follow a torque pattern by the bracket manufacture and hit the foot pounds precisely. I would re torque after a few real runs.

Back