Transom Damage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseate

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunday morning I picked my boat up from my dry slip at my marina. I had them put the boat in the water overnight Friday night as I knew I was going to take the boat out before they opened (6:00am). I pull the boat in January to do the annual engine maintenance and get it detailed. Once I had the boat back to my winter covered storage area I noticed that a weld on one of the horizontal tee top supports was cracked. As I was washing the boat I found several cracks running horizontal along the transom where the bilge drain plug is as well as a large crack radiating from my engine bracket. The next morning my fiberglass tech went by to look at the cracks and discovered a crack in the engine bracket. I contacted a marine surveyor to inspect that boat and hopefully he will be there today. I am wondering if they inadvertently dropped the boat on the storage bunks the last time they took it out. I reached out to the marina manager and asked him to review any security footage they may have to see if he can possibly spot the incident. I posted this on The Hull Truth as well. I'm not trying to start a witch hunt for the marina (I've never posted their name & won't). Just hopeful that someone may have seen something like this before and could help shed some light on a possible cause.

1.jpeg2.jpeg

That’s a tough one. What year is the boat?

My 2016 2320 had the same crack in the bracket.

parker stepped up and replaced the bracket with a more robust one with additional support gussets and strengthening.

not sure, but if I remember correctly the bracket has a 3 year warranty from Armstrong.

Last edited:
I saw your thread on this on the THT, you seem to have such great attitude about the ordeal. I admire that.
(I would have lost my $h.t)

I saw your thread on this on the THT, you seem to have such great attitude about the ordeal. I admire that.
(I would have lost my $h.t)

Thank you!
Trust me, I’ve used every swear word there is internally. But, I’ve tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Ultimately, I’m pretty certain what happened and it didn’t involve the boat while it was being operated under power. However being able to prove that is another matter. I’m 60 years old, I’ve spent my whole adult life in the commercial building business. I’ve told both of my adult daughters there isn’t one person that I’ve ever been in a business deal with that if I saw them coming down the sidewalk I’d be ashamed to greet them and shake their hand. My oldest daughter was recruited by our clients coming out of college and still works for a client today.

I’ve found that as difficult as it may be sometimes to take the high road, when you do you seldom step in horse sh*t…..

Update.
I’m pretty disappointed in Parker. I spent a month trying to get in touch with someone in the engineering department. I offered to take the boat to the factory. I wanted them to look at the damage and just give me their recommendation on the correct repair. I had a few email correspondence with someone in customer service, was told engineering would contact me but it never happened. I ended up hiring an independent marine engineer.

No luck getting the marina ownership to step up, tells me a lot about them.

The good news, both surveyors & the engineer that I hired all agree that the damage is primarily cosmetic. Work should begin next week & hope to have it back in April in time for the fishing season.

Last edited:
Update.
I’m pretty disappointed in Parker. I spent a month trying to get in touch with someone in the engineering department. I offered to take the boat to the factory. I wanted them to look at the damage and just give me their recommendation on the correct repair. I had a few email correspondence with someone in customer service, was told engineering would contact me but it never happened. I ended up hiring an independent marine engineer.

No luck getting the marina ownership to step up, tells me a lot about them.

The good news, both surveyors & the engineer that I hired all agree that the damage is primarily cosmetic. Work should begin next week & hope to have it back in April in time for the fishing season.

good luck! I’m glad it’s working out. If you choose to have the bracket cracks rewelded. They will probably return.

As a follow up, I had to apologize to the marina owner. Once we got into the boat we saw pretty quickly the problem is a void in the laminate during manufacturing. I sent pictures to Parker on May 5th but no response so far. Tough pill to swallow on a boat that only has 256 hours.
3A88EF5B-B903-4CB4-A25E-1171DE0CF5CF.jpegCCFA1232-9A7B-4F69-9332-60835E756CF6.jpegA2B20557-3A74-4927-AE4F-202C96C4567D.jpeg

Wow, is that a big void between the inside and outside layers? Or did the layers delaminate?

I’d ask for a completely new transom. There is no way they could have missed that at the factory.

I would recommend submitting a claim through the local dealer.

This could get messy because you initiated a repair prior going through your dealer and Parker.

I initiated the claim with the dealer then Robin Parker contacted me through email stating the claim was approved.

Good Luck.

I would recommend submitting a claim through the local dealer.

This could get messy because you initiated a repair prior going through your dealer and Parker.

I initiated the claim with the dealer then Robin Parker contacted me through email stating the claim was approved.

Good Luck.

I bought it as a used boat in Florida and brought it back to NC. I know the boat is out of warranty, just hoped they may offer to do something.

I’d ask for a completely new transom. There is no way they could have missed that at the factory.

Do you have any idea of what that entails? The repair is fixed correctly and will be fine.

What’s the depth of the void? From inner skin to outer skin? That could be 1.5” to 2”? I would be concerned with the dead load and dynamic load path eccentricity, especially with load cycling over the lifespan of the boat, not to mention a thermal cycle on a non homogenous assemble could accelerate deterioration.

Back