Trim cap replacement on 4.2 300 hp Yamaha.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas650r

Reaction score
So it's time to fix the slow leaker on my tilt ram(s). I have the factory book and the beefy removal tool from Marine Tech. From looking at the book it looks like the seals are replaceable although they are called "dust seals" which makes me wonder if the oil seals are part of the cap? I looked at the 5Star caps which seem to be complete. What's the latest consensus on doing the job ? The unit seems perfect other than the weeper on 1 trim ram .
I also want to change the oil , do I just suck out all I can get from the fill hole or remove a line to drain ? The book seems lacking in info , or I missed it somewhere.

Any info from those that have been here before appreciated.

there should be at least 2 in the cap and 2 on the bottom of the rod best ting would be to take it off and take it to a hydraulic repair shop

I completed the seal replacement on my 2007 F200 and marine tech had a great youtube video which was a big help. I ordered the parts from SIM Yamaha.

video is here

Thanks for the reply. I had watched that one before, good info there. Turns out Yamaha has upgraded the caps and seals . The new cap has both a oring and a lip seal for the ram seals . Not sure if the old has a internal oring groove inside or not as I have not dissasembled them yet. The new caps w/ both seals were just a bit more than the old seals only so it was a no-brainer to try the new parts. Further update when I get it apart soon.

Back