Trim Tab size.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone asked Robin or any Parker employee why they put the small tabs on from the factory, and do the approve of us putting the wider ones ???

Capt. Ronnie":15f0vyoz said:
Has anyone asked Robin or any Parker employee why they put the small tabs on from the factory, and do the approve of us putting the wider ones ???
I didn't ask Robin, but I did ask one of their engineers, who no longer works there. Don't read anything into that ... but honestly - he was very candid. His opinion was that Parker settled on the 12x12s as the one tab plane set they could install on all their boats.

[For the record, and full disclosure, he was the Parker empoyee who told me that his personal Parker wore Bennett trim tabs in a larger size than the 12x12s. He's the one who also said their choice of Lenco tabs was predominantly for "faster install times, and install time is $$ ..."]

Remember, the Mfg'rs are striving hard to keep their base costs down and by ordering thousands of one tab set size, they also get economies of scale. Plus the install is the same on every boat. Being in business, I can't say I disagree with that ... to a point .. but, while the 12x12s tabs do work, they KILL your fuel efficiency really, really , REALLY bad. I know, I have proved it to myself and to the owner of an identical 2520 mod-V SC who also had a fuel computer installed, with both boats wearing 225hp OBs.

To be honest? I for one DO NOT CARE if Parker Marine gives a whit about me installing larger tab planes ... I want performance AND efficiency.

Remember, gas prices weren't a "big deal" when they made that decision many, many years ago. A lot has changed since then. OK ... I've beat this tab issue to death ... signing off ;) !

Back