Trim Tabs and Hydrofoil

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
Hello Parker Family,

On my last boat I had to install a hydrofoil to help help get on plane. I get my new 2120 in a few weeks and it will have trim tabs already installed. Will I need a hydrofoil too? Just trying to make the right call...Thanks!

I'd be interested on seeing the response here. I've never used hydrofoil but hear they help.

What motor is on your 2120? I would not consider a hydrofoil unless you can't get slow enough planing speeds or you can't get your transom out of the hole fast enough.

Personally, no, I don't think you'll need a hydrofoil, but rather the correct prop and motor mounting hole height placement should get you where you want to be on that hull.

What motor is on your 2120? I would not consider a hydrofoil unless you can't get slow enough planing speeds or you can't get your transom out of the hole fast enough.

Personally, no, I don't think you'll need a hydrofoil, but rather the correct prop and motor mounting hole height placement should get you where you want to be on that hull.
The 2120 has a Yamaha F200. Thanks for responding, Sydngoose!

I would use the boat a bit, make sure its propped correctly, motor height correct and then if you feel it is needed still put a permatrim on

I would use the boat a bit, make sure its propped correctly, motor height correct and then if you feel it is needed still put a permatrim on
Do you have to drill to install the permatrim? On my last boat I installed the SE400 and there was no drilling required. Thanks for responding!

Yes we put the permatrims on last year. Worked as expected-faster planing time, plan at slower speed, bow stays down better heading into a chop. You do have to drill to install permatrim but it was easy to do. We hesitated for a couple years due to that fact and finally somebody said you can just take them off and marine text the holes and repaint if you dont like them so we went for it. Needless to say they are staying on.

Really appreciate your advice. So, i'm going to run the boat a bit and if need it, I'll install the permatrim.

I just installed Permatrim & a 4 blade prop on my 2016 2320SL w/ F250XCA. I run heavy and wanted to get a better hole shot, stern lift and better mid-range cruising performance. Launching in 2 weeks and I'm anxious to see if I've reached my goals.
Many CP members and Ken at Prop Gods have provided me with advice which is greatly appreciated.

Hello Parker Family,

On my last boat I had to install a hydrofoil to help help get on plane. I get my new 2120 in a few weeks and it will have trim tabs already installed. Will I need a hydrofoil too? Just trying to make the right call...Thanks!
From what I’ve seen a lot of 2120 owners don’t have as much of a problem with stern lift as the 2320 owners do with the offshore bracket. My 2320 has a permatrim and it’s helps. I like the fact that at cruising speeds It helps keep the bow down and has increased my mpg

Thank you, for the useful information! I'm supposed to get my Parker on 04/19 and will see how it runs with trim tabs only. If I see any issues, I will definitely install the permatrim.

My 2320 with Yamaha 300 has permatrim, 4 blade and 12x18 tabs. Also installed seapension seats. It runs like a little tank now. I would recommend spending some money on those type of upgrades.

Here are the specs from the box. It’s a great prop for pushing heavy loads, it also planes the boat at a lower speed so I like it when it’s sloppy. In fact I might put it on for the halibut opener coming up in May.
My boat has the 300, I hear there are better props for the 250. Disclaimer is I’m not really a “prop” guy.

Attachments

• 66335FF7-A90F-4D4A-BC60-3D4CAF537009.jpeg
    66335FF7-A90F-4D4A-BC60-3D4CAF537009.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
I have an '05 2120 with a 200hp outboard. I don't know what changes have been made to the 2120s since then. When I first took my boat out it had trim tabs and the motor was set with the cav plate even with the bottom of the boat, no permatrim. The bow rode high and the boat rode rough. I had the motor raised to where the water just came over the cav plate at cruising speed and added a permatrim. It totally changed the boat for the better. My outboard is a Mercury with a stainless Enertia 3 blade 15x15

Back